Nakamichi BX300 - Some Problem

jay

I have acquired a Nakamichi 300 Deck finally after putting in some effort.It plays superbly but with a small hitch.Few days back I noticed for the 1st time the speed suddenly going slow.I stopped,unplugged and plugged it back again and played and it played flawlessly.I thought there must have been some Voltage problem.

But today it resurfaced back.The Deck after every 2 minutes the speed started getting slower and slower.Finally I shut it down for a while and played it again for 10 minutes without any problem.Not sure when I play tonight again what will happen.

Can the more experienced share their views here as what can be the issue?

Looks like the filter caps in the powersupply section feeding the motor circuitry are on their last legs. But there can be other reasons also. Better to get it checked by a Technician. They can measure the voltages being fed to the drive motors during play back and evaluate the drops. This issue though can be a bit tricky to fix as time would need to be spent on the deck. All the caps need to be checked or if you replace just one, the issue might crop up again later on when the next blows.

Jay,
Where are you based out off? If you are from Chennai, we have a superb technician who can help. Please PM for contact.

Thanks a lot reubensm for your valuable feedback. By the way what are filter caps and what's their function? How many of them are present inside the Deck?

Today morning I changed the power supply source and also the female converter in the plug of Nak chord. But the problem,persists. I played my deck for close to 45mibs and twice the speed slowed down. I have a small question. Before I take it to the Technician I want to do some more r&d and wait and see how frequently its happening or is there any other reason for this occuring. But will this delay further complicate things and affect my Deck??

Last edited:
Also, the motor might be the culprit. Once the windings on such motors go old, they tend to drop speed when they get hot after some operating time. Also check the drive belts. You can try putting just a drop of good lubricating oil on the motor spindle to lubricate it and see if that improves. Though, I have never laid my hands on a NAK.

Here's some easy reading: What Is a Filter Capacitor? (with picture)

Will have to take a look at the circuit schematic to understand the number and location of filter caps in your deck.

Thank you so much.Played my decj today for 2 hours.Only once it happened.

I have a small question. Before I take it to the Technician I want to do some more r&d and wait and see how frequently its happening or is there any other reason for this occuring. But will this delay further complicate things and affect my Deck??

Thank you so much.Played my decj today for 2 hours.Only once it happened.

I have a small question. Before I take it to the Technician I want to do some more r&d and wait and see how frequently its happening or is there any other reason for this occuring. But will this delay further complicate things and affect my Deck??

Hello reubensm can you please revert on this?

If there's an issue, its better not to delay and to get it looked at. If its a caps issue or a motor issue, then the situation is only going to deteriorate further. It may not be both of these and may be a simple case of dry solder too (highly unlikely though). By R&D, assume you are going to take a look inside the deck. Please be careful, especially when shaking wiring to check for loose contact. That is not a good practice unless done skillfully.

If there's an issue, its better not to delay and to get it looked at. If its a caps issue or a motor issue, then the situation is only going to deteriorate further. It may not be both of these and may be a simple case of dry solder too (highly unlikely though). By R&D, assume you are going to take a look inside the deck. Please be careful, especially when shaking wiring to check for loose contact. That is not a good practice unless done skillfully.

No what I meant was as the frequency of the issue has come down I was contemplating of giving it some more time inorder to be sure than enough that there is a problem.But yes the question may arise yes there is a problem as atleast once it did happen and why did it happen.I am just giving a benefit of doubt that due to voltage fluctuation this might have happened and someone advised me to get a voltage stabiliser and setup in between.Will that help?

No what I meant was as the frequency of the issue has come down I was contemplating of giving it some more time inorder to be sure than enough that there is a problem.But yes the question may arise yes there is a problem as atleast once it did happen and why did it happen.I am just giving a benefit of doubt that due to voltage fluctuation this might have happened and someone advised me to get a voltage stabiliser and setup in between.Will that help?

Nakamichi cassette deck powersupplies are well regulated. Voltage fluctuations at home will not effect them unless there is a huge fluctuation. The stabilizer fix won't help.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back