Nakamichi Tape Deck not working properly... Need help/advice

Krysch

Hello friends

I just acquired a late 70s/early 80s BX-125 cassette deck. I clean the head and all friction parts and allow it to dry. After a while I pop a cassette into the player [inverted cassette input] and only the left side moves while the right side is stationary. Try it with 2-3 3 different cassettes with the same result.

I would greatly appreciate some help/advice on this matter as although I'm knowledgable on the models and their quality, I'm a doofus when it comes to fixing stuff on the inside.

Thanks in advance

Cheers!

similar mechs on the BX100 so this video holds good:

how to take out the BX125 mech:

Caution: when working with Nakamichi decks, ensure that you read up a lot or watch relevant YouTube videos, have the right tools, use nimble fingers and more importantly, use high quality or OEM spares. Nakamichi decks are essentially high-value (both ownership and performance) and hence doing a great repair job, helps maintain the value, if not increase it :). All the very best!

Looks like the idler tyre worn-out. is it working forward and rewind?
No Selvin... only the left one in fits and starts. I opened and checked it out, the belt seems o be relatively new and OK. Looks like another problem :-(

similar mechs on the BX100 so this video holds good:

how to take out the BX125 mech:

Caution: when working with Nakamichi decks, ensure that you read up a lot or watch relevant YouTube videos, have the right tools, use nimble fingers and more importantly, use high quality or OEM spares. Nakamichi decks are essentially high-value (both ownership and performance) and hence doing a great repair job, helps maintain the value, if not increase it :). All the very best!
Thanks reubensm!

Nikhil, unfortunately Johnson is in the hospital the last 3 weeks with Covid. Hope he recovers soon.
Sad to inform that Johnson passed away last evening, may his soul rest in peace RIP.

Attachments

• Johnson.jpeg
    Johnson.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 33
I came to know this early in the morning. It is sad news. I had interacted with him once and he left an impression. We lost someone who was knowledgeable and skilled in his craft; gentle and friendly. It is indeed a loss.

I just got a msg from his phone on WhatsApp which his son was operating for the recent few weeks that he passed away on the 20th. I had heard a couple of weeks earlier that he was recovering and was getting better after getting admitted in the hospital for covid treatment. Such a sweet chap and a reliable, genuine technician for AV products for many of us. RIP Johnson, you will be missed

Hello friends

I just acquired a late 70s/early 80s BX-125 cassette deck. I clean the head and all friction parts and allow it to dry. After a while I pop a cassette into the player [inverted cassette input] and only the left side moves while the right side is stationary. Try it with 2-3 3 different cassettes with the same result.

I would greatly appreciate some help/advice on this matter as although I'm knowledgable on the models and their quality, I'm a doofus when it comes to fixing stuff on the inside.

Thanks in advance

Cheers!
Another technician for NAKs, who seems to be an knowledgeable person in fixing these hifi machines on this forum, @NakTech (Umesh) from Chennai (https://www.hifivision.com/threads/nakamichi-restorations.60110/#post-666330). But, he is not active since couple of years on this forum . FMs from Chennai or NAK owners of this forum can through light about is status now and how to contact him.

Hello friends

Thanks in advance

Cheers!
Hi,
Could you pls check whether -
1. Fast forward is working?
2. The motor which drives the idler tire is rotating?
3. Just open and check whether the cam motor is also functioning well. This is a major culprit in many cases.
Most probably would be a idler tire issue.Long back I have personally upgraded my Nak BX300 to gear idler system.If you can get hold of this, then peace of mind for a long time.

Hi @srenjith I finally ended up giving it back to the seller to get it fixed- he apparently knows someone who will take care of this. However many thanks for your suggestion- hoping to get it back fully fixed. I'll update you and the others on what the issue was once I get it back.

Hi @srenjith I finally ended up giving it back to the seller to get it fixed- he apparently knows someone who will take care of this. However many thanks for your suggestion- hoping to get it back fully fixed. I'll update you and the others on what the issue was once I get it back.
Can you please check with the seller and find out the place where we can get cassette decks repaired in Bangalore? Thanks

I pop a cassette into the player [inverted cassette input] and only the left side moves while the right side is stationary
It is an Idler tire issue. Very common in old decks. Please see a tech guy. I have a similar issue in one of my deck Pioneer CT-X5. I have ordered the replacement from China. It is yet to reach me.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back