Nakamichi Tape Deck not working properly... Need help/advice

I am stuck with my Aiwa AD-F660 tape deck for almost 1+ year without using due to belt issues. I am unable to source them locally. Now thinking if I want to retain it. Importing tape belts are a expensive affair. Am in double minds. Otherwise the deck is perfectly ok.

I am stuck with my Aiwa AD-F660 tape deck for almost 1+ year without using due to belt issues. I am unable to source them locally. Now thinking if I want to retain it. Importing tape belts are a expensive affair. Am in double minds. Otherwise the deck is perfectly ok.
@greenhorn @reubensm might be able to give you some good advice!

my Nakamichi LX5 suddenly created problem with rewind and fast forward working and play not working . What could be the issue is it repairable ? Need some guidance .

When i was a kid, my father gave me a Philips 22RR482 Radiorecorder. I used it for many years and the belt eventually broke. I tried several belts procured from the local market, it would play and function like it should but was just never as accurate as it was originally. That experience left me with a lasting impression on locally available belts. I had always been on the look out for a good source, until I was introduced to turntableneedles.com by our good friend and FM, Selvin. At first I was apprehensive as many online sellers procure from China anyways. I wrote to Jeff Galin at Electronics Service Labs (my source for Nak spare parts) and to turntableneedles. I got to learn that most of the great manufacturers did not produce belts and other rubber parts in house anyways and used high quality ones supplied by vendors. After ascertaining the value of the advice which I received, I decided to buy my NAK belt from turntableneedles. A bit expensive by Indian standards (paid about Rs.800 I think) but it was for a Nak. One does not crib about the cost of spares if one owns a Mercedes :). The item which arrived was a perfect fit and performs brilliantly. I could not have been happier and more thankful to FM Selvin.

Last edited:
my Nakamichi LX5 suddenly created problem with rewind and fast forward working and play not working . What could be the issue is it repairable ? Need some guidance .
Bit difficult to answer. I am not sure about the mechanism of LX5 and I never got opportunity to open it. Check below points....

1. Is the head lifting when press play button? If not check cam motor, Cam switch and associated circuits.
2. If head lifting but capstan not rotating. Check Capstan motor.
3. Head lifting and, Capstan Running but tape not moving - Check for pinch roller pressure with capstan.
4. Tape chewing - replace the back tension belt.

I really would like to refurbish my Nak Cr 1A completely. Fed up of repairing it so many ties with no luck. Same with the Denon DRW. A good technician would be a blessing. Most of the guys Ive got it repaired by in Bangalore have failed miserably. Any links where I can replace the parts/motor etc from?

The person is named Babu- he repairs cassette decks. If you'd like I can DM his contact to you
If the contacts details of the technician published here, it would be helpful to many FMs. If necessary, you can get it confirmed from Mr. Babu about sharing his contact details in the forum.

Hello friends

I just acquired a late 70s/early 80s BX-125 cassette deck. I clean the head and all friction parts and allow it to dry. After a while I pop a cassette into the player [inverted cassette input] and only the left side moves while the right side is stationary. Try it with 2-3 3 different cassettes with the same result.

I would greatly appreciate some help/advice on this matter as although I'm knowledgable on the models and their quality, I'm a doofus when it comes to fixing stuff on the inside.

Thanks in advance

Cheers!
Rahul chawla Mysore is best technician for nakamichi

Hello friends

I just acquired a late 70s/early 80s BX-125 cassette deck. I clean the head and all friction parts and allow it to dry. After a while I pop a cassette into the player [inverted cassette input] and only the left side moves while the right side is stationary. Try it with 2-3 3 different cassettes with the same result.

I would greatly appreciate some help/advice on this matter as although I'm knowledgable on the models and their quality, I'm a doofus when it comes to fixing stuff on the inside.

Thanks in advance

Cheers!
It is an idler problem. You need to change the tyre of the idler the moves the takeup wheel. I have the same problem with my Pioneer CT-X5 deck. I have ordered a few tyres and idlers of different sizes from China. These are yet to reach. Hope these parts will restore my deck.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back