NAS(Network Attached Storage) for Home theatre

I did a quick search and found that the pricing seems to be good even when compared to US. Just ensure the capacity of each HDD slot. I think it is a max 2TB enclosure. Not sure though.

Dranil/Others,
If you don't really need RAID, you may want to consider a Mediasonic 4 Bay JBOD (Just a Bunch of Disks).

I don't need RAID, so have just ordered one on link below (Currently not in stock, but should be available soon as per Amazon's email to me):
Amazon.com: Mediasonic 3.5-Inch USB 3.0 and eSATA Pro Box 4-Bay Enclosure HF2-SU3S2 (Black): Electronics

There are other models too. The one that I have chosen has USB 3.0 along with eSata. There are other options with just eSata and USB 2.0 for $99. If you want to use eSata 9you will require a port multiplier).

I do have rips ranging from 1.xxGB to 45GB( more than 300+ movies) and all the movies i could stream in wired condition with my G router..No need of N router. Of course I do have N router which i have not opened the pack.

And for streaming in wifi i have tested upto 6.5GB in my G router and absolutely no issues and it is perfectly streaming and no stuttering.

All the rips were perfect for my full HD PJ.

Can you try any 25+GB rip over the air through your N router and see how it plays? My router and ASUS Media Player are around 20 feet away with 3 concrete walls in between, in the same floor though. How far is yours?

Can you try any 25+GB rip over the air through your N router and see how it plays? My router and ASUS Media Player are around 20 feet away with 3 concrete walls in between, in the same floor though. How far is yours?

As i told i have not setup my N router . However it was very well tested with dual band router from our forum member teky in my existing setup and the result was not encouraging for the 25GB+ rips. However we concluded this may be the cause of the USB wifi antenna provided with the xtreamer may not capable.

Similarly testing was done by our another forum member with Xtreamer/ etrayz / USB wifi antenna with 25GB+ rips and the results were not successful and stuttering is there in audio and video.

However some members who have tested can throw some light if they have succeeded.

As i told i have not setup my N router . However it was very well tested with dual band router from our forum member teky in my existing setup and the result was not encouraging for the 25GB+ rips. However we concluded this may be the cause of the USB wifi antenna provided with the xtreamer may not capable.

Similarly testing was done by our another forum member with Xtreamer/ etrayz / USB wifi antenna with 25GB+ rips and the results were not successful and stuttering is there in audio and video.

However some members who have tested can throw some light if they have succeeded.

My own tests over 2.4 ghz N band have revealed same stuttering while streaming a 35GB rip in m2ts format of 2012 movie. The ASUS OPlay Air did not have 5GHz band so could only test under 2.6ghz only.

why dont you make one of your own?
1. Motherboard: Gigabyte G31 S2L : 4 SATA ports : 2,300/-
2. Processor: Intel celeron 1.8 GHz/Or any cheap dual core/core2duo : 2000/-
3. Power supply: Gigabyte superb: 2,000/-
4. Transcend RAM: 1 GB x 2: 2500/-
5. 2 TB x 2: 10,000 ( this cost can be reduced by reducing size of hdd)
6. Any cheap cabinet: 1,000
7. OS: FreeNAS (Free)
8. WIFI N Adapter, USB or PCI : 2000/-
Total cost: around 22,000
You get upgradability and flexibility

Have considered that option. But don't have the knowledge / ability / confidence to build one from scratch. Easier to take an old PC that I have at home, and convert that into a server.

I spent some time reading through the FreeNAS and Amahi websites. Again - am not a Linux geek. Also don't want devote weeks to struggling with OS setup.

Waiting for Windows Home Server 2011 to become available. Hopefully just another month or so. That's the OS I want to use.

I did a quick search and found that the pricing seems to be good even when compared to US. Just ensure the capacity of each HDD slot. I think it is a max 2TB enclosure. Not sure though.

Dranil/Others,
If you don't really need RAID, you may want to consider a Mediasonic 4 Bay JBOD (Just a Bunch of Disks).

I don't need RAID, so have just ordered one on link below (Currently not in stock, but should be available soon as per Amazon's email to me):
Amazon.com: Mediasonic 3.5-Inch USB 3.0 and eSATA Pro Box 4-Bay Enclosure HF2-SU3S2 (Black): Electronics

There are other models too. The one that I have chosen has USB 3.0 along with eSata. There are other options with just eSata and USB 2.0 for $99. If you want to use eSata 9you will require a port multiplier).

The core issue with these boxes is that they are not a NAS - ie they don't connect to a network. I want to connect the disks to my Lan, so that I do not have to keep moving drives between the WD TV in my living room, and my PC in my bedroom.

Hi, I'm also in the market for a NAS. I have posted my questions in a different thread, so pls excuse me if i am asking the same questions again.

I am thinking of synology DS411slim. One of my friend is traveling to US for couple of weeks and thinking if i can order from amazon to his hotel. The specs looks impressive but i have couple of questions,

- It supports only 2.5 HDD. I know there are expensive than 3.5 HDDs and I can get only up 1TB at this time.
Is there any other issues with 2.5 HDDs you know of?
Let us assume that in another year or two if we get 2TB 2.5 HDD will DS411 slim support it?

- Since I am getting it from US, do I have to use a step down transformer?

Any other issues i should think about.

Overall I guess it will cost me around 36K with 4 HDDs. Please let me know if there are any better alternative at this price.

thanks again for all your help...

Hi, I'm also in the market for a NAS. I have posted my questions in a different thread, so pls excuse me if i am asking the same questions again.

I am thinking of synology DS411slim. One of my friend is traveling to US for couple of weeks and thinking if i can order from amazon to his hotel. The specs looks impressive but i have couple of questions,

- It supports only 2.5 HDD. I know there are expensive than 3.5 HDDs and I can get only up 1TB at this time.
Is there any other issues with 2.5 HDDs you know of?
Let us assume that in another year or two if we get 2TB 2.5 HDD will DS411 slim support it?

- Since I am getting it from US, do I have to use a step down transformer?

Any other issues i should think about.

Overall I guess it will cost me around 36K with 4 HDDs. Please let me know if there are any better alternative at this price.

thanks again for all your help...

I think if your NAS supports 4 bays then recommend going for 2 at one go and another 2 later on unless there is a requirement to have 4 identical onces. This is because if you buy 4 HDDs up front then they will age at the same time and moreover if you are not doing adavanced RAID configs (i forgot the number) which spans one file across multiple disks to support faster retrieval then go for 2 at a time as you might not need the space for all 4 at one go. And most NAS adapters suppirt dual voltage. If possible please ask your firend / relative to check with their pre sales team .. number should be on their website.

Guys, have a question for all having NAS. Do we have to keep the NAS on all the time? I was reading in some forums that HDD tends to get corrupted with frequent power on and off, is that true?

i have the buffalo linkstation duo , bought it for 6500 rupees (2TB without HDDs)and it does a perfect job for streaming HD movies both 720p and 1080p plus it downloads the torrents as well

Guys, have a question for all having NAS. Do we have to keep the NAS on all the time? I was reading in some forums that HDD tends to get corrupted with frequent power on and off, is that true?

you keep it on when you need it. when you dont need turn off. ususallu it remains on 3 to 4 hours a day for download / movie access etc. Why worry about power on-off had the same HDDs remained inside a PC it would have been the same right?

i have the buffalo linkstation duo , bought it for 6500 rupees (2TB without HDDs)and it does a perfect job for streaming HD movies both 720p and 1080p plus it downloads the torrents as well

Where did you buy it from at Rs 6,500 ?

Thanks guys for your input. In some synology forum I read that frequent power on and off will lead to HDD failure, but since you guys are using it this way I don't have to worry about it. I have finally decided to go with Synology DiskStation DS410 through my friend from US. Once I get it will post some pics and my impression. Thanks again to all.

Good luck with your choice, and do update us once it is up and running. As a previous posted said, a NAS is a different animal from an external HDD, which is a pure storage device and nothing more. My ReadyNAS has the ability to shut down by itself if it is connected to a recognized UPS which is about to shut down, among other things. I find that my NAS is very similar to a computer, though of course it is used as a storage device.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back