NAS(Network Attached Storage) for Home theatre

dranil

Hi friends
When we are shifting from DVD rips to BD rips the storage requirements are increasing and thus thinking of setting up a NAS- system having about 4 bays and if possible more additional attachments later.
If any of our forum members are using these please share your experiences and recommendations.
Thanks
Anil.

I have been using Xtreamer etrayz in my home since last 1 and a half years and I have 3.5TB of storage in it. Its a VFM product and good for a medium to small home setups i.e it can run 2-3 setups max simultaneously.

I use the Synology DS411+ , 4 Bay setup. Put in 4 x 2GB HDDs and configured RAID. Loving it. Its a high performing equipment :)

Synology tends to have good software required for management. I can now stream audio/video, use it as a itunes server. Stream songs over to my android phones (over wifi), download torrents without keeping the PC on and more

I use the Synology DS411+ , 4 Bay setup. Put in 4 x 2GB HDDs and configured RAID. Loving it. Its a high performing equipment :)

Synology tends to have good software required for management. I can now stream audio/video, use it as a itunes server. Stream songs over to my android phones (over wifi), download torrents without keeping the PC on and more

Synolgy & Qnap have good repute for HD streaming.... How much it cost without Hard disks and where you have purchased it?

Regards

I have been using a ReadyNAS Duo for the past 2-3 years upgraded the HDD to 2TB, havent put a second HDD into it.I use it primarily as an audio server but also have video stored in it which I access across the network. It works very well for me.

Thank you very much for all your contributions here.
Since my requirement is more space and future expansion possibility plus of course local warranty/service if required.
Synology have a local dealer here and I am thinking of going to 411+ model
pguy is recommending.
Thanks
Anil.

Thank you very much for all your contributions here.
Since my requirement is more space and future expansion possibility plus of course local warranty/service if required.
Synology have a local dealer here and I am thinking of going to 411+ model
pguy is recommending.
Thanks
Anil.

Seems to be a right choice. Do check the price twice and ebay.com it is roaming around $350+ without HDD.

Members!!!!! can comment whether in future it is possible to change the USB 2.0 to USB.3.0 ( dont know technically about it)

regards

Hi Srini
Thanks for the reply
Regarding price, $350 is for model 411J which is a different model.
411+ cost around $630 on ebay and the local authorized dealer quotes Dhs 2400
with warranty which is almost same.
Thanks
Anil.

Received the new model Synology 411+II replacing 411+ today.
The new unit looks the same as 411+ and the new feature is
processor speed 1.8 dual core same as that of their flagship model 1511+
Yet to connect the new unit and will update the details later :)

Received the new model Synology 411+II replacing 411+ today.
The new unit looks the same as 411+ and the new feature is
processor speed 1.8 dual core same as that of their flagship model 1511+
Yet to connect the new unit and will update the details later :)

Congrats on your new purchase.Look forward for your review.

With regards

I think if you plan to strem over wifi what matters is the size of the Rip file rather than the overall storage capability. BD Rips upto 10GB plays well over wifi in my opinion. Look for the ones in 4GB range they are good balance betyween PQ and size. But the rips ranging in sizes of 30-40 GB become bottlenecks over the wifi in my opinion. Of course none of these problems exists when you are connecting via wires. Also while streaming such large (20+ GB) rips you must implement QoS (Quality of Service) policies in your home router so that such a stream does not become a bottleneck for your other clients (PCs, etc) in the same network unless you are using simultaneous dual band routers and compatible receivers.

I think if you plan to strem over wifi what matters is the size of the Rip file rather than the overall storage capability. BD Rips upto 10GB plays well over wifi in my opinion. Look for the ones in 4GB range they are good balance betyween PQ and size. But the rips ranging in sizes of 30-40 GB become bottlenecks over the wifi in my opinion. Of course none of these problems exists when you are connecting via wires. Also while streaming such large (20+ GB) rips you must implement QoS (Quality of Service) policies in your home router so that such a stream does not become a bottleneck for your other clients (PCs, etc) in the same network unless you are using simultaneous dual band routers and compatible receivers.

Yes you are right, streaming the Full HD rips in an Wifi environment is still creating problems and have stuttering issues with dual band routers too:)

If i remember, Ashish or Sumit have somewhere mentioned that they are able to stream full HD.. Will go thru the post and will point it..

Yes you are right, streaming the Full HD rips in an Wifi environment is still creating problems and have stuttering issues with dual band routers too:)

If i remember, Ashish or Sumit have somewhere mentioned that they are able to stream full HD.. Will go thru the post and will point it..

there are tons of torrents which have movies in 1080p resolution and size 4GB. In my opinion gor for a couple of those as i myself have checked them to be good enough on big screen. They are good balance between size and quality and with not much noticable difference with 20+ ones except compression artifacts in darker areas and that too not always. These 4GB ones stream well over the network (N of course and not G).

there are tons of torrents which have movies in 1080p resolution and size 4GB. In my opinion gor for a couple of those as i myself have checked them to be good enough on big screen. They are good balance between size and quality and with not much noticable difference with 20+ ones except compression artifacts in darker areas and that too not always. These 4GB ones stream well over the network (N of course and not G).

I do have rips ranging from 1.xxGB to 45GB( more than 300+ movies) and all the movies i could stream in wired condition with my G router..No need of N router. Of course I do have N router which i have not opened the pack.

And for streaming in wifi i have tested upto 6.5GB in my G router and absolutely no issues and it is perfectly streaming and no stuttering.

All the rips were perfect for my full HD PJ.

I have been hunting for a good NAS for many months now.
Currently, I juggle 2 * 2 TB usb drives.

The requirements I have are :
- 4 Bay
- RAID 1 capability

Nothing complex.

However, the NAS devices with good reviews, have ridiculous pricing (in my opinion).

For example, quote from the official India distributor (ESDEE BUSINESS MACHINE PVT.LTD) for Synology DS411+ is Rs.51,500/- All inclusive, This is for diskless. It includes a 2 year warranty.

The best quote I have got on the Netgear ReadyNAS in India is Rs 34K.
eBay India: Netgear ReadyNAS NVX Diskless Desktop Network Storage (item 280644936705 end time 21-Mar-2011 17:47:27 IST)

These are all much cheaper in US, but I hesitate to buy a NAS without warranty and tech support. Too many things that can go wrong.

Now planning to take an old PC, and convert it into a home server. Will give me the functionality of a NAS, but at far lower cost. Only downside :
- will require a lot of time and effort
- will consume more power than a NAS

why dont you make one of your own?
1. Motherboard: Gigabyte G31 S2L : 4 SATA ports : 2,300/-
2. Processor: Intel celeron 1.8 GHz/Or any cheap dual core/core2duo : 2000/-
3. Power supply: Gigabyte superb: 2,000/-
4. Transcend RAM: 1 GB x 2: 2500/-
5. 2 TB x 2: 10,000 ( this cost can be reduced by reducing size of hdd)
6. Any cheap cabinet: 1,000
7. OS: FreeNAS (Free)
8. WIFI N Adapter, USB or PCI : 2000/-
Total cost: around 22,000
You get upgradability and flexibility

why dont you make one of your own?
1. Motherboard: Gigabyte G31 S2L : 4 SATA ports : 2,300/-
2. Processor: Intel celeron 1.8 GHz/Or any cheap dual core/core2duo : 2000/-
3. Power supply: Gigabyte superb: 2,000/-
4. Transcend RAM: 1 GB x 2: 2500/-
5. 2 TB x 2: 10,000 ( this cost can be reduced by reducing size of hdd)
6. Any cheap cabinet: 1,000
7. OS: FreeNAS (Free)
8. WIFI N Adapter, USB or PCI : 2000/-
Total cost: around 22,000
You get upgradability and flexibility

How to get RAID capabilities and data redundency?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back