Need a coffee brand suggetions

Here's a tip that was given to me because I use a South Indian coffee percolator:
After pouring the grounds in the top half, sprinkle (or pour) a little water on the grounds and mix with a spoon so that it turns into a very thick damp paste. With the spoon spread the damp grounds evenly and then tamp down with the pressing disk. Leave for a minute and then pour the boiling water. Makes for a more robust and flavourful coffee. Try it!

This is a great piece of advice! I've been doing this for the past few weeks and the taste has been consistent ever since.

Occasionally, we used to face the problem of the decoction not percolating and we had to keep the top half tiled to enable percolation. After following this method, we now fill the top half almost to the brim and keep the cap tilted, leaving only a hairline gap for air. The percolation has been happening fine too.

We have been drinking Nescafe Gold for a long time and quite like the taste. There is a recent buy 1 get 1 free offer.
IMG-20220119-WA0000.jpg

Thanks @Lizard King and @sydney and everyone else for the recommendations.. I've just placed an order with Blue Tokai for their Vienna Roast (Aeropress) and South Indian Filter Blend (South Indian Filter).

If not already suggested - try - Corridor Seven Coffee - check out their website - I am not affiliated but buying my coffee exclusively for the last 2 years.

Sorry, said it in Hindi

It basically means a taunt like "Rich people and their indulgence"
LOL dunno where the "rich people and coffee connection" came in. Let me give you a background. I do not know my head from a hole in the ground when it comes to tea/coffee. When I said 'we' earlier, I should've clarified that it was my folks who've enjoyed drinking tea/coffee for decades. Right from childhood till date, I have been highly allergic to the sight/smell of tea and coffee brewing anywhere which makes me wanna barf hence you would never find me within close proximity of a Barista or Cafe Coffee Day or Starbucks or a local roadside tea seller. But that is just me. To make matters worse, a few years ago I was challenged by some friends to drink pure black coffee @ CCD (they knew I hate coffee/tea). Long story short the false bravado shone through and I drank a 250ml cup of hot black coffee sip by sip just to win that bet. aargh!!! One of the worst moments in my life. Fast forward as they say, 'if you can't beat them, join them'. In view of the highly beneficial health consequences of drinking tea /coffee, I have gradually acquired the courage to drink only green tea and Nescafe Gold since last few months and I'm loving it. Hence after reading all the fantastic advice in this thread from so many experienced coffee lovers, I took the plunge with Blue Tokai :D

LOL dunno where the "rich people and coffee connection" came in. Let me give you a background. I do not know my head from a hole in the ground when it comes to tea/coffee. When I said 'we' earlier, I should've clarified that it was my folks who've enjoyed drinking tea/coffee for decades. Right from childhood till date, I have been highly allergic to the sight/smell of tea and coffee brewing anywhere which makes me wanna barf hence you would never find me within close proximity of a Barista or Cafe Coffee Day or Starbucks or a local roadside tea seller. But that is just me. To make matters worse, a few years ago I was challenged by some friends to drink pure black coffee @ CCD (they knew I hate coffee/tea). Long story short the false bravado shone through and I drank a 250ml cup of hot black coffee sip by sip just to win that bet. aargh!!! One of the worst moments in my life. Fast forward as they say, 'if you can't beat them, join them'. In view of the highly beneficial health consequences of drinking tea /coffee, I have gradually acquired the courage to drink only green tea and Nescafe Gold since last few months and I'm loving it. Hence after reading all the fantastic advice in this thread from so many experienced coffee lovers, I took the plunge with Blue Tokai :D
Sorry was just kidding hope I didnt offend you

I got the Blue Tokai South indian blend as well and really loved it. Have double boxed it in airtight containers to keep the aroma !

The staple at my home has been Jayanthi Coffee (85/15 blend). Affordable and tasty.
Recently, I got a chance to try out local Kodagu coffee, thanks to FM @Prodigy
Don't remember the brand, but it was quite good.
I use a small Vietnam-style filter to make the decoction fresh for each time.

Cheers,
Raghu

I'll add my 2 bits

If in Mumbai then at king's circle you can buy coffee powder at Mysore Concerns and Cafe Madras. If you can locate a Cafe Coffee Day powder outlet then you can get fresh ground coffee on order.

At any nearby Mangalore Stores you can get Vittal, Jayanthi, Laxmi and Panduranga coffees, all from Chikmagalur

Direct from factory, you can get Panduranga online

If you like Coorg coffee then you can try Kallukoppa, also online

On Amazon you can try Fresh and Honest, Tata, Continental, Narasu etc

Last edited:
Try Country Bean Hazelnut coffe, get the 60g pack as it's a better value than the the 30g bottle.
They have berry flavour too, both flavours are great but I prefer the hazelnut one....

Kaapi is a very important aspect of life at least in S Kar and TN.
In my family, my father does not even like tea. It's always kaapi for him.
When we have visitors, the choice of hot beverage offered is almost always kaapi > tea > milk/horlicks/bournvita.

Interestingly, we never had coffee or and tea was not as popular a few centuries ago.
Coffee came with the arrival of Europeans and tea was brought back from China because of its commercial value.
I read that we used to start our day in S. India with kashayam of some sort.
As always, we Indians will happily appropriate anything that tastes good and make it our own (in our own crazy way).
The same can be said for the other great import "Rum" ;) (Thanks to Khodays and MohanMeakin groups)

Also, in Bangalore/Mysore (cities I'm familiar with), we nutcases go hunting for good hotel kaapi.
Where's the fun in kaali baatein without by-two-kaapi :D

Cheers,
Raghu

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back