Need a coffee brand suggetions

Do you notice any quality differences in the last few months. My wife has been complaining that something seems off in the last two jars. Not sure if this is a real issue or something else. Bought a Davidoff jar to check if thats better.
Strictly speaking of my experience, I purchase the “Nescafé Gold” from Crawford Market in Bombay for 500₹ & there is a clear inconsistency in taste and color every time I buy. I think they are fake & not imported at all. YMMV..

I'm looking for a coffee beans grinder. Is this a good grinder for "casual" coffee drinker? Someone also recommended a Baratza Encore Wirth 12000 also but 12k is a lot of money for a grinder imo which I don't want to spend on a grinder. :)

Blade grinder is absolutely no no. If you don't want to invest in a burr grinder, use the small container of mixie rather than getting this Delonghi. It's the same thing.
But the Baratza at 12K is very good. It has grind size control. Only thing it doesn't have is time or weight setting, but that is not an absolute requirement. It's a stainless steel burr and not a ceramic burr, but that's OK at this price.
Go for it. I'm using it and very happy with it. Must clean it regularly to prevent blocking. For a domestic user it should last many years and will be actually cheaper than the Delonghi you listed.

I do agree that grinding is probably the most important step and common to all the coffee-making methods.
However initially I want to settle for a basic electric grinder and then I might move to higher models. Manual is out of the question as I do not have that much time and also do not want to store ground coffee for more than 2-3 days.

If the default setting of the cheaper De Longhi grinder is very close to the 7-9 settings of the more expensive Baratza grinder I am fine with that.

Edit- @stevieboy thanks & noted
Edit2 Hario skerton pro or plus not available on amazon and flipkart and not going for manual grinder. So is there any cheaper electric grinder comparable to the one below?
@rsjaurr On second thoughts here’s a perspective for you to consider. On one side you think you’ll be getting the benefits of grinding beans fresh with a grinder yourself. However in reality that grind will be very uneven and result in an unevenly extracted cup of coffee. So are you really moving forward? or backwards?

Compare that to buying preground coffee from the same roaster you intend buying the roasted beans from. This coffee generally is still fresh ten days to two weeks after roast. Between evenly ground coffee from a roaster who has just roasted and ground coffee where flavour starts tapering off after about a week or even more and unevenly freshly ground beans that creates an imbalanced extraction right from day 1, that’s the choice facing you, think about it.

Regards

Do you notice any quality differences in the last few months. My wife has been complaining that something seems off in the last two jars. Not sure if this is a real issue or something else. Bought a Davidoff jar to check if thats better.
Their quality/taste has been all over. Locally in Hyd. 200gm jar is about 900-950, on amazon one can get between 750-800. However there are a few different variants - Russia import, etc. so absolutely there are some differences. Not sure why this is happening, must be pandemic effect or something.
Cheers,
Sid

@rsjaurr On second thoughts here’s a perspective for you to consider. On one side you think you’ll be getting the benefits of grinding beans fresh with a grinder yourself. However in reality that grind will be very uneven and result in an unevenly extracted cup of coffee. So are you really moving forward? or backwards?

Compare that to buying preground coffee from the same roaster you intend buying the roasted beans from. This coffee generally is still fresh ten days to two weeks after roast. Between evenly ground coffee from a roaster who has just roasted and ground coffee where flavour starts tapering off after about a week or even more and unevenly freshly ground beans that creates an imbalanced extraction right from day 1, that’s the choice facing you, think about it.

Regards
Yes sir I got it. :) Either I should get that Baratza grinder or order evenly ground coffee. Any reputed Amazon or Flipkart seller you would like to recommend who sells quality ground coffee?

Yes sir I got it. :) Either I should get that Baratza grinder or order evenly ground coffee. Any reputed Amazon or Flipkart seller you would like to recommend who sells quality ground coffee?
Blue Tokai. Has a wide range. There is also Flying Squirrel but not on Amazon

What method do you use to brew coffee? Should have asked that first hehe. If you do something like French press, or even the south indian filter, then you could try ordering two sample packs. One of whole beans and the other french press/ filter grind and grind the whole beans in your spice grinder to match the particle size and see the resulting flavour in the cup. If you feel its the same, you've got your solution you can buy whole beans, get a dedicated cheap spice grinder and grind fresh!

As for sellers don't buy on amazon. Buy direct from the roasters websites you'll get it freshly roasted to order and you can order sample packs of about 100g too to see which coffees you actually like. I absolutely love Koinonia www.kcroasters.com. They own their own farm and definitely seem to know what they're doing. There's araku.in, third wave coffee, kaffacerrado for coffees from around the world, although they roast quite a few of their coffees darker which masks the origins flavour notes. Bluetokai I had a weird experience. Ordered a sampler and a light coffee was darker in colour and a medium coffee was lighter in colour. When I wrote to them I got a weird explanation from their roaster directly which is making me think ten times about ordering from them again. Koinonia have something that you will rarely see anywhere, even abroad. They have their own farm Kelagur and offer this bean in different processing methods - washed, washed shade dry, honey, natural sun dried, purple berries picked so its a bit riper, and the bean matured in whisky casks. so you get to taste the difference that processing at the farm makes on the final cup flavour. Very few if any farms offer such a wide variety of processing for the same season's crop. Most choose one or perhaps two or three processing methods depending on the weather conditions prevailing at the time of harvest.

Regards

What method do you use to brew coffee? Should have asked that first hehe. If you do something like French press, or even the south indian filter, then you could try ordering two sample packs. One of whole beans and the other french press/ filter grind and grind the whole beans in your spice grinder to match the particle size and see the resulting flavour in the cup. If you feel its the same, you've got your solution you can buy whole beans, get a dedicated cheap spice grinder and grind fresh!

As for sellers don't buy on amazon. Buy direct from the roasters websites you'll get it freshly roasted to order and you can order sample packs of about 100g too to see which coffees you actually like. I absolutely love Koinonia www.kcroasters.com. They own their own farm and definitely seem to know what they're doing. There's araku.in, third wave coffee, kaffacerrado for coffees from around the world, although they roast quite a few of their coffees darker which masks the origins flavour notes. Bluetokai I had a weird experience. Ordered a sampler and a light coffee was darker in colour and a medium coffee was lighter in colour. When I wrote to them I got a weird explanation from their roaster directly which is making me think ten times about ordering from them again. Koinonia have something that you will rarely see anywhere, even abroad. They have their own farm Kelagur and offer this bean in different processing methods - washed, washed shade dry, honey, natural sun dried, purple berries picked so its a bit riper, and the bean matured in whisky casks. so you get to taste the difference that processing at the farm makes on the final cup flavour. Very few if any farms offer such a wide variety of processing for the same season's crop. Most choose one or perhaps two or three processing methods depending on the weather conditions prevailing at the time of harvest.

Regards
I was never a coffee lover. Infact started tea at the age of about 20 year in a hostel. Coffee was the option only when I got bored of tea till about couple of years ago. Mixing coffee powder with a lot of hot milk was the only way I would make coffee.

So last year I bought a French press and blue tokai coffee from amazon. But now French press is broken and I want to try something else and hence my queries.
This thread taught me a lot otherwise I was going to buy a coffee machine with capsules.
I will wait before I spend 40-50k on a coffee machine and grinder. So now the plan is to buy a Moka pot and ground coffee from seller you and other FMs suggested.

Having said all that I am just a casual coffee lover. If I have a 200Rs to spend on a beverage I would buy a beer rather than going to CCD. :) ;)

Beery good use of money hehe. Enjoy your Moka pot. I'm moving in the reverse direction from a Moka Pot to a French Press.

On another experimentation note, I've been having French Press coffee for some weeks now and I'm finding the French Press' full bodied rich extraction much more to my taste than the sharper lighter more acidic Moka Pot coffee. The science of it all is very interesting and I'm utterly fascinated by it. Full immersion methods like the French Press tend to extract a truer representation of all the flavour that's there in the coffee bean because the longer immersion time allows more of the slower moving flavour particles to be extracted. Faster methods like pourover, Moka Pot tend to extract more of the faster extracting particles making the extraction more tilted towards the lighter fruitier acidic notes, leaving more of the slower extracting chocolate/cocoa/nutty note particles behind. I used to want an espresso machine but not anymore.

Regards

Beery good use of money hehe. Enjoy your Moka pot. I'm moving in the reverse direction from a Moka Pot to a French Press.

On another experimentation note, I've been having French Press coffee for some weeks now and I'm finding the French Press' full bodied rich extraction much more to my taste than the sharper lighter more acidic Moka Pot coffee. The science of it all is very interesting and I'm utterly fascinated by it. Full immersion methods like the French Press tend to extract a truer representation of all the flavour that's there in the coffee bean because the longer immersion time allows more of the slower moving flavour particles to be extracted. Faster methods like pourover, Moka Pot tend to extract more of the faster extracting particles making the extraction more tilted towards the lighter fruitier acidic notes, leaving more of the slower extracting chocolate/cocoa/nutty note particles behind. I used to want an espresso machine but not anymore.

Regards
Very nice observation. I have started using French Press recently and observed similar difference in the taste with my espresso machine. You have described it in very apt words.
Audio equivalent would be bold and fleshed out midrange with French Press, vs the airyness and extended upper range of the Espresso Machine.

Here's a tip that was given to me because I use a South Indian coffee percolator:
After pouring the grounds in the top half, sprinkle (or pour) a little water on the grounds and mix with a spoon so that it turns into a very thick damp paste. With the spoon spread the damp grounds evenly and then tamp down with the pressing disk. Leave for a minute and then pour the boiling water. Makes for a more robust and flavourful coffee. Try it!

Here's a tip that was given to me because I use a South Indian coffee percolator:
After pouring the grounds in the top half, sprinkle (or pour) a little water on the grounds and mix with a spoon so that it turns into a very thick damp paste. With the spoon spread the damp grounds evenly and then tamp down with the pressing disk. Leave for a minute and then pour the boiling water. Makes for a more robust and flavourful coffee. Try it!
Before pouring the water, a teaspoon or so of sugar is sprinkled on top of the powder by some.

Before pouring the water, a teaspoon or so of sugar is sprinkled on top of the powder by some.
I have tried that too and also tried dissolving sugar in the boiling water before pouring the water in the percolator. Doesn't make any difference or rather in my case it made the coffee a little weak. My take is that it increased the viscosity of the water and due to this there was no proper extraction.

I have tried that too and also tried dissolving sugar in the boiling water before pouring the water in the percolator. Doesn't make any difference or rather in my case it made the coffee a little weak. My take is that it increased the viscosity of the water and due to this there was no proper extraction.
In restaurants they add sugar to increase viscosity, haven't seen anyone use this technique at home

Very nice observation. I have started using French Press recently and observed similar difference in the taste with my espresso machine. You have described it in very apt words.
Audio equivalent would be bold and fleshed out midrange with French Press, vs the airyness and extended upper range of the Espresso Machine.
Omg! I never thought coffee making is more complicated than stereo audio. My stereo audio system is already very much complicated and not looking to add a 3rd complicated thing in my life.;)

Now that I have always given midrange a lot of preference over the upper range I would go for Frech press. :p
I had it last year and loved it. My son also liked it and he could drink its coffee without milk but not me. I am placing an order for a Frech press coffee maker and Blue Tokai french coffee.

That’s a good thing to do rather, an essential thing. Especially if you’re using fresh ground coffee it wets all the grounds evenly and allows the carbon dioxide gas generated during roasting to degas. Otherwise water has a harder time getting into the coffee cos the gas is blocking the water and extraction suffers. Plus when the coffee is wet water drips through evenly else channels form if you pour water on dry coffee and water follows these channels overextracting along this path and leaving the other parts under extracted. Stirring is essential even for a French press before leaving the water and coffee to steep.

regards

So, would you recommend a french press over an espresso machine like the philips Saeco Poemia or Delonghi Dedica? I'm sitting on the fence as of now, theres a brand new Poemia NOS for 6k.

So, would you recommend a french press over an espresso machine like the philips Saeco Poemia or Delonghi Dedica? I'm sitting on the fence as of now, theres a brand new Poemia NOS for 6k.
French press and espresso machine produce 2 different types of brew. If you are new to brewing, French press may be the very easy and cheapest option. Espresso machine needs more involvement/ time and initially a bit of practice. I have/ use both depending on mood.
But if you are getting a Poemia at 6K, buy both. My Poemia is now 10 years old, used everyday and still has good life left in it.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back