Need Advice : 5.1 Speaker Package for Denon 1910 under 60K

Dolphin1111

Has started visiting this forum few weeks back and it's one of the best forum.

This is my first thread.

Last week bought from US following gears to setup my HTS.

a. Denon AVR 1910 (USD 470.00 tax inclusive)
b. Sony BDP-S560 Blu-Ray Disc DVD Player (USD 180.00)
c. Acoustic Research Pro Series II - 50 Ft 12 AWG speaker cable - 2 Rolls (USD 50.00 X 2)
d. TREX T-REX Premium 1080p 2 Meter HDMI Cable - 3 Nos (USD 25.00 each)
e. Blu Ray Movies - 10 Nos. (Avatar, UP, LOTR Triology, Monster Inc, Wolvarine, Ice Age 3 etc)

I already have :
a. Samsung LA40B550K1R LCD TV (Installed on 2nd April '10)
b. TataSky Plus
c. Iomega 1TB ScreenPlay Director HD Multimedia Player
d. Sony DVD player with HDMI output
e. Wii
f. PS2

Usage : 70% Movie, 30% Music
Room size : 14" x 12"

I have not auditioned any speakers yet. Based on suggestion i will start doing soon. I plan to buy the complete package in one go.

Also if any one can suggest where I can buy Maxine 220/110 (2KW) Step down transformer in Bangalore.

I stay at Marathalli, Bangalore.

Rgds,

Regarding Maxine please call them and find out their dealer/representative in Bangalore.

Regarding speakers, please mention your budget.

Cheers

Hi have just installed 1910(U.S.) as mentioned for US$ 470(did u buy it from www.samstores.com) and have installed it with Q Acoustics Q-AV speaker system. Have to say the setup is good, though have no comparison to offer as such. Have an issue(defect) with one speaker and am not happy with the response level of the supplier(in fact no response at all).

The forum has suggested wharf speaker set with 1910.

Regards,

Sunny Singh

@ Venkatcr : Thanks, will call Shah Electronics and will try to get their dealer in Bangalore. My budget for the Speaker package is INR 60,000.00

@ Sunny : I got the 1910 from Welcome to Abes of Maine (got it from their shop, they gave me 5 yrs warranty). As of now I want to get the speakers from India as transportation is a challenge, though I travel once in a month to US. How much did Q Acoustics Q-AV speaker cost? And did you get LCR 65 or LCR 50? Let me do some some search on Wharf in the forum.

TC,

If you are looking out for a satellite package (5.1), do check out the Wharfedale Moviestar 70+ too.

Looks really good, fine with movies and excellent in music. Costs within 30 K.

New speakers are on the brighter side which go very well for instruments. My system has'nt broken in as yet, so won't be able to comment on the actual state of affairs ...... but liking what I have now.

If you are spending 60K on speakers then I would strongly suggest that you go for separate speakers than a home-cinema package. They sound MUCH MUCH better. No comparison at all! I was in the same situation as you, looking for packages, but was advised here on this forum to go for separates. And boy, am I glad I took that advice!

Just last week I bought the Wharfedale Diamond 9 series to go with my Denon 1610 AVR. Specifically: 9.2 fronts, 9.CS center and 9.DFS surrounds. I am still deciding on which sub-woofer to buy (the deciding part is mainly because of lack of funds :) ).

The sound is just amazing! Last few days I have been watching the recent Bond movies, Transformers, etc. and really enjoying every bit of it. For music also the 9.2 sounds phenomenal with the Denon (at least at this price point).

For you I would recommend 9.2, 9.CS, 9.DFS, SW-150, the total MRP for which is 60K. You can expect a discount of around 10%-15% depending on your location.

hi sumeshj,

congrats for you purchase :yahoo: ....
for sub you should try sw150....

please advice:
how much you pay for wharf & danon.
and how is you expr with them.... please share.... because i am planning to go on this same way....

regards,
vinay

Dude if you want a full 5.1 with floorstanding speaker all part of one whole set and for awesome budget just get cambridge audio sirocco 5.1 for 38 and put the money into other things.

Has not yet checked any system as I am still travelling :(
and would be back in Blr on 1st.

Thanks for all the suggestion and would check and finalize the speakers this weekend. Plan to have the complete HTS on 3rd May (my Marriage Anniversary :) )

@corElement -- If I finalize CA Sirocco, read "put the money into other things" ---> better gift for my wife. Thanks again.

More suggestions are welcome from the Gurus.

Rgds,

@vinay

The MRP of Denon 1610 is 30K, and that of Wharfedale 9.2 is 17K. I got an overall discount of 13% on the final price. So that gives you an idea.

I am still waiting for the center speaker and surrounds, and right now have only the 9.2 connected to the AVR. It sounds excellent, to say the least, but I have one concern: the Denon 1610 seems underpowered to drive the 9.2. I don't know if this is true, but that's how I feel. And the reason for that is I have to keep the volume level to -8 db when watching a movie. The AVR is configured to stereo mode, so all the power and frequencies must be going to the two 9.2s. For music I keep it around -16 or so and it sounds loud enough for my ears.

So either something's wrong with my AVR, or it is underpowered to drive the 9.2s, because I believe -8 db is a pretty high volume level. It would be great if any 1610 owners can comment on this.

Hi Sumeshj,

Can you also help with the place,where did you purchase the the AMP and Speakers .If you have bought it in Pune then the location would be helpful for me to go and have a demo of the same.

Thanks in Advance.

VinodGK

@vinod: I bought them from Silo Media (Mr. Behram Daruwala - 9822066943). They have a showroom at East Street.

Update :

Though I planned to to check QA, Wharfedale & Sirocco primarily, I did take appointment to listen to CA Sirocco and MS Aviano (at Audio Planet) and KEF (at Audio Dynamics). I could only do QA and Wharf. I had to travel out of country on 4th again :(

Based on the limited audition and suggestion from the forum gurus, I booked Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 Fronts (Walnut), SW-150 (walnut) and a DAC Subwoofer cable (3m) on 3rd May from Vector Systems, Blr. All @ 53K. The speakers are getting delivered on 12th May. The sales person at Vector (Mr. Lokesh) was nice to deal with.

Also got Maxine 2 KVA stepdown transformer @ 3.5K. Man, its very heavy compared to its size.

I plan to get the the Center and Surround in May/June. Will 10.CM and 10.SR be a good match (9 series is not readily available at UK)? Or else i will go for 9.CS & 9.DFS.

Quick Question : Is Denon 1910 (125 W @6 ohm) will be good enough to drive Diamond 9.6 which is rated 40 - 200W

@Mridul , appreciate your time spent on Saturday.

Cheers !!

Congratulations on your purchase!!

Since you are getting 9.6 as fronts, the center speaker should ideally also be from the 9 series (gurus please correct me if I am wrong). The 10 series sounds quite different from the 9 series. For surrounds I would suggest 9.DFS instead of 10.SR. Bipolars create a much better surround ambience in home environments which are not acoustically perfect.

Since you are buying in stages, you can actually delay purchasing the sub and get the center+surrounds right away instead. 9.6 have plenty of bass and the sub won't be missed much, atleast for now.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back