Need Amp suggestion for Vintage Sony Bookshelfs

nizarp

Hi,

I got an old Japan made Sony bookshelf speakers as gift from my uncle. The model number of the speakers is SS-H433. Now I want to buy a suitable amp for the same.

The speaker specification is as follows:

Speaker System: 3-way
Speaker Units:
Woofer: 14cm cone type
Tweeter: 5cm cone type
Super tweeter: 2cm dome type​
Power handling capacity:
Maximum 50w
Nominal 25w​
Sensitivity: 88db/W/m
Frequency range: 65-20,000 Hz
Rated impedance: 6 ohms
Dimentions: Approx. 180x270x225mm(w/h/d)
Weight: Approx. 2.9 kg per speaker

The one option I have in my mind is the Norge 1515. I want to know whether Norge 1515 will suit the speaker specifications. Also is there any other Amps that I should consider ? I am planning to use this speakers only for listening to music in a room of size 10x10 feet.

Please guid me.

Hai Nizar,

Go for NORGE 2030, @ 30w per channel it will drive the speakers very effectively.

N.Murali

Thanks Murali

I got the price for the Norge 2030 as 5450/- from Sam Bajaj (including shipping charge to Bangalore)

Is there any other models from different brands available for the same price range ?

I have 1988 vintage 3 way Sony SS-S440. Each weigh 16 kg.

Peak: 90 W
Nominal: 45 W

This is being run effortlessly by a Norge 1000 ... rated at 125 W (RMS) ... 4 ohms. I was initially considering a 2060.

So, it is quite possible your speakers might require a Norge 2060. Why not ask Mr. Bajaj himself .... find all details about your speakers first.

Thanks Murali

I got the price for the Norge 2030 as 5450/- from Sam Bajaj (including shipping charge to Bangalore)

Is there any other models from different brands available for the same price range ?

Hai Nizarp,

You can consider Pulz RS180DC , 35 w per channel (though costly) which has sweet treble.
NORGE midrange is good. You can also try used NAD 3020.
All depends how it matches with your speakers. Try to audition with all available amps.

N.Murali

hi,

I talked to Sam Bajaj regarding my requirement and he said:
"The ideal model would be Norge 4242 Rs.6,150/- or alternately the Norge 2030 ( Rs.5,500/-).The 1515 will not drive the speakers, considering the Specs. The courier charges will be approx.Rs.650/-"

At the same time I got a PM from one of our forum members saying that he has a mint condition sony stereo amplifier for sale for 7K. Complete product details are here:DISCONTINUED SONY TAFE570 AMPLIFIER - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/1099 for details

Anybody have any idea about how this sony amplifier compares with the Norge models in terms of SQ?

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back