Need help for my First DIY Speakers

kcnanand

Hello FMs,
I am planning on a DIY full range speaker setup for my PC. Will be running it off my Vintage Cambridge Audio A1 Mk1 amp. Currently using a old Bose acoustimass series 3, 2.1 setup. Planning on using the Dayton Audio-RS100P-8 4" (available at diyaudiocart dot com) would have preferred the PS95-8 3-1/2" Point Source Full Range Driver, but is out of stock in the website. Would connect it thru the Acoustimass sub which has a Nominal impendence of 5ohm and handles upto 2x50w speakers. Box size planned 235x141x90mm front ported (35mm). Need views/help in following questions:-
1. Do i connect the speakers directly to the PC or can i connect it thru the acoustimass (hope to get some bass). will there be any issues due to the 5ohm impedence of the sub.
2. Would the box size and port size suffice. what should be the length of the Port tube.
3. Where can i source the PS95-8 online in India, or is there any better in the same price range.
4. I will be making the box myself. should i use mdf or plywood would do. what should be the ideal thickness of either.
Please do suggest. thank you.
(ps. i am a commerce type and dont understand the various cct diagrams/ qts, mts and the like :eek: but am a hobbiyist and will try my hands on any diys :D)

easier route
get a philips hiq 8" driver from ritchie street
you can get boxes that will fit an 8" driver there as well (if you're feeling pretty lazy)

should give you a taste of full range for ultra cheap. Space is the only problem with this

easier route
get a philips hiq 8" driver from ritchie street
you can get boxes that will fit an 8" driver there as well (if you're feeling pretty lazy)
should give you a taste of full range for ultra cheap. Space is the only problem with this

Chennai is home town. currently based in punjab. will have to ask my friends to have a look there. 8 inch will be too big for a desktop speaker.

The bose being a vintage unit, even the bose usermanual does not list out the SPL.
A bose just has to be loud... so i dont think spl etc matters to their target audience.:D

FM Hari Iyer makes the micro TL speaker which uses a similar Peerless driver - you may check with him if you wish

As saheb suggested, FM magma has some nice vfm complete speaker kit. Alternatively, if you raise your budget, you can look into frugal horn or pencil design for full range driver like fostex, markaudio alpair etc.

Thanks to all those who replied to this thread. Think i should try my hands on a simple system first, may be a 3" peerless to practice and experiment and then graduate to something bigger. thankyou.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back