Need help in recommending Blu-Ray purchase!

sagar29

Just started researching buying a Blu-Ray player and am lost!!! So could really use some help in recommending one that will best fit my system. I have a Mitsubishi WD-62725 DLP TV and a Yamaha RX V990 reciever-an oldie but goodie. I also have Mirage surround sound speaker system. I would like a Blu-Ray player to accomplish the following:1) maximize the picture of my TV-get the most out of its 1080i capability 2)get the most out of my current DVD collection 3)produce the best sound for my 5:1 system.
What I am not sure about-My computer is no where near my computer-can you connect a 2.0 player to a wireless router for firmware upgrades? My TV manual says it has HDMI hookup-is this the best way to go? It looks like the Panasonic DMP-BD55 and Sony BDP-S350 get good marks. Is it worth is to go up in price to a Denon or Pioneer? Have I overlooked an issue that would affect my system?

If you have an old amp like yahama which doesn't have HDMI then I would suggest you to go with any BD player with 7.1 channel analog preouts to fully enjoy the new sound codecs like dolby true hd or DTs hd master audio. My suggestion is that you look at players like Panasonic Bd30 which has analog output.

Most good BD players would have HDMI/Optical/Analogue out provisions.
Methinks it would be prudent to wait for a while-you hardly have much of a choice in BD titles, such as there are,are way too expensive plus you have the region lock issue to contend with.
After some time ,some of these issues,esp the region ones may get resolved,which would make decisions easier.
But for the impatient ones',I at least have the greatest faith in Oppo,so my vote at present would go to their BDP-83;once its region hack comes along, it would be an absolute no brainer-whats a few dollars here or there ?

since everyone seems to be contributing, i'd strongly recommend you have a look at the Samsung BD-P2500 for 300 dollars, featuring an HQV Reon chip. At that price there's nothing frmo Pansonic or Sony (or anyone else) that can probably offer competition.

since everyone seems to be contributing, i'd strongly recommend you have a look at the Samsung BD-P2500 for 300 dollars, featuring an HQV Reon chip. At that price there's nothing frmo Pansonic or Sony (or anyone else) that can probably offer competition.

Sam always has good features,but when performance matters ,they are far behind like LG.

spiro, i am talking about performance, reviewers have compared the performance to the panasonics and the sonys and concluded that the samsung is superior, in no small measure due to the HQV Reon chip of course.

Sam always has good features,but when performance matters ,they are far behind like LG.

spiro, i am talking about performance, reviewers have compared the performance to the panasonics and the sonys and concluded that the samsung is superior, in no small measure due to the HQV Reon chip of course.

I agree HQV will do best,but Samsung & drive ,we have to wait & watch.
There DVDp too have some issues(discussed in forum)

Spiro - not good to make such statements without facts. Otherwise there is no value add to others who may read and not pick up a Samsung product.

I own a Samsung plasma and am more than happy with its performance over the last 4 years. No defects, no recalls, picture quality is good, and adjustments are very easy to make.

OK,I made the statement as drives I used in past had some issues,I do recommend Sam displays than drives.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back