Need help in setting up HIFI system : 80-90K budget

Kumar442244

Hello Members,

Planning to compose a new 5.1 hifi system. Help and suggestions highly appreciated-

Aesthetics :-
- Music : Movie :: 70 : 30
- Room Size : 15*15
- Apartment : Ground Floor

Initially planning to go for 2.1 setup with a descent AVR and add surround and center later (budget constrain :annoyed:). (More into music so doubt the need of center).

Consideration set :-

AVRs :-

(Max budget 40K)

- Denon X520BT
- Denon X1200 (if price <= 40K then X1200 else Denon X520BT or please suggest).

Front bookshelf :-

(After cursory research and feedback, narrowed down the consideration to following 2. Budget 20-25K. Please suggest any better deal at this budget.
- Dali Zensor 3
- Wharfedale 220

Sub-woofer :-
expecting a tight base : (Budget 20K with +/- 5 K variance)

- Polk audio PSW125
- Wharfedale SW150

Options in no sequence of preference.

Members,

Plz suggest the set up also consider the aforementioned options.

Need to get this during this week.

Suggestions much appreciated.

Thx in advance.

Members,

Plz suggest the set up also consider the aforementioned options.

Need to get this during this week.

Suggestions much appreciated.

Thx in advance.

Also, allocate some budget for good quality interconnects, speaker cables and stands as you are going for bookshelves. What's is going to be your source?

Last edited:
Thanks Arun, will certainly allocate some.

My source would be majorly Hp laptop, Nexus 5 phone or USB with FLAC format.

Initially planning to go for 2.1 setup with a descent AVR and add surround and center later (budget constrain :annoyed:). (More into music so doubt the need of center).

Consideration set :-

AVRs :-

(Max budget 40K)

- Denon X520BT
- Denon X1200 (if price <= 40K then X1200 else Denon X520BT or please suggest).

Front bookshelf :-

(After cursory research and feedback, narrowed down the consideration to following 2. Budget 20-25K. Please suggest any better deal at this budget.
- Dali Zensor 3
- Wharfedale 220

Sub-woofer :-
expecting a tight base : (Budget 20K with +/- 5 K variance)

- Polk audio PSW125
- Wharfedale SW150

Options in no sequence of preference.

Hi,

I would advice, start with AVR + Front Speakers. With time add a Sub and then the Center + Surrounds.

My Suggestions from your shortlist:

AVR: Denon X1200
Bookshelf: Dali Zensor 3
SUB: Wharfedale SW150

You may also want to keep an eye on the Pre Used stuff for some excellent deals.

MaSh

Hi

If you are on a tight budget and want to achieve the best system, look at For Sale by Owner or Hifiads.com.....lots of good stuff being sold at reasonable rates....

Hello members,

Dali Z3 quoted at 37k in Bglr with slight negotiation.

Kindly advise if the price looks reasonable.

Also plz suggest if I can get a better deal elsewhere in Bangalore or around.

At 37k, it's going a bit out of budget.

Can anyone also suggest bs within 25k range.

Appreciate help in advance.

Which dealer? 37K is not a realisitc price for Z3 unless there is a deep price hike happened recently. It was below 27 or 28k.

Hi,

i have just got my dali z- 3 at top gizmo delhi at rs. 31000/- with free wires and delivery. I got a quotation at rs. 31000/- from siddrath from sound by design. You can talk sid. He is very cooperative and helpful.

Thanks.

Since you would spending more time with music, look for a stereo amplifier + DAC + BS/FS combo..

For music 2.0 should suffice.. However for movies, it is better to have a (2.1) sub even-though it is not an dedicated LFE.

Hello elangoas,

Thanks for the quick response.

Since m a newbie to hi-fi music world,Was wondering y is amp as costly as an avr or even costlier.

Have couple of doubts here which might sound really silly, but I guess clarification and better understanding is more important

- If music is a prime concern, should I not look out for an avr and concentrate more on amp and dac?
- If so, can u plz suggest me a decent 2.1 system and which amp shud I look for?
- how is a dac useful in this setup and is there an amp with Integrated dac?
My audio to video split is 70:30.
- can I add a subwoofer to an amp and how to get the video setup done from an amp?
- what if I want to complete my 5.1 setup later on, wud an amp be handy then?

Suggestion much appreciated.

Hello elangoas,

Thanks for the quick response.

Since m a newbie to hi-fi music world,Was wondering y is amp as costly as an avr or even costlier.

AVR is for a larger audience, while stereo is comparatively less..

Have couple of doubts here which might sound really silly, but I guess clarification and better understanding is more important

- If music is a prime concern, should I not look out for an avr and concentrate more on amp and dac?

AVR too is good for stereo..May be not much as an integrated amp does..

- If so, can u plz suggest me a decent 2.1 system and which amp shud I look for?

Try to take audition in your town/city and then share your feedback.. There are good amount of options to customize your set-up..

- how is a dac useful in this setup and is there an amp with Integrated dac? My audio to video split is 70:30.

If you have more digital files (MP3, FLAC,WAV) then an DAC would be better.. Yes there are stereo amplifier with DAC..

- can I add a subwoofer to an amp and how to get the video setup done from an amp?

Yes..Some stereo amplifiers have sub-out option.. Video will be routed to TV/Monitor

- what if I want to complete my 5.1 setup later on, wud an amp be handy then? Suggestion much appreciated.

If you want 5.1 as well as stereo, AVR would be better..

Anyways please take some audition of AVR and stereo set-ups in your city to get a first hand experience.. Also browse thru some threads in the stereo section of sub-forum to gather inputs..

For music, a stereo amp is a must. AVRs cannot give you good sound quality unless it is from top-of-the-line.

If you want to go for branded stuff, you might split that budget into 4:3:2:1 for bookshelf speakers:stereo amp:dac:cables

Its better to have different setup for movies and stereo (if budget permits). I use same set of bookshelves but different set of electronics for movies and music.

For movies, there are several options actually.
- You might get a HTIB
- A decent AVR and decent set of 5.1 speakers.
- A decent sound card, 5 amps, 5 speakers and an active subwoofer

For music, a stereo amp is a must. AVRs cannot give you good sound quality unless it is from top-of-the-line.

If you want to go for branded stuff, you might split that budget into 4:3:2:1 for bookshelf speakers:stereo amp:dac:cables

Its better to have different setup for movies and stereo (if budget permits). I use same set of bookshelves but different set of electronics for movies and music.

For movies, there are several options actually.
- You might get a HTIB
- A decent AVR and decent set of 5.1 speakers.
- A decent sound card, 5 amps, 5 speakers and an active subwoofer

Does that mean you use same speakers for AVR and stereo amp ? How can we do that connection , could you please explain ?

With the idea of 5.1 setup in the near future, then you can take the AVR route.
There are a lot of satisfied souls for music and movies who have been using Marantz AVR.
Audition all possible option and take a decision based on the affordability.

Does that mean you use same speakers for AVR and stereo amp ? How can we do that connection , could you please explain ?
Yes. I use my Monitor Audio BX2 speakers both for movies and music. I don't have any switch as of now. I manually switch it by plugging in and out the RCA or Banana plugs.

Sent from a handheld device. Some typos might creep in.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back