Need Help : Kenwood KC-105 pre-amp + KM-105 power-amp

rishiguru

Hi, I am in need of help.

One of my friends want to buy a decent stereo amplifier, but his budget is somewhat limited to INR 15K max. Now he does not understands a lot about sound quality and is completely relying on me and my decision.

Norge 1000 will fit his budget & it is a stellar amp for its price but after he has herd the sound of music from my Yamaha DSP-A2070, he simply does not want to go back to Norge. I can understand that part too.

Recently in Kolkata, a person is willing to sell his Kenwood KC-105 pre amplifier + Kenwood KM-105 power amplifier + Sony SEQ120 graphic equalizer @ INR 12,500. Kenwood used to make this pre-power combo between 1986 - 1989.

Here are some pics of the system on sale:

6318601321f7d36ee81bb.jpg

63185914154b6cce3ac4b.jpg

From what I came up from the net was, that KC-105 pre amp is what you can call just OK & is quite light. But is does satisfactory pre amp job that's it.

The KM-105 stereo power amp on the other hand is a good power amp, and are capabale to provide 125 WPC @ 8 ohms.

Can anybody show a little more light on this pre-power combo. Personal views will be highly appreciated.

Also any help regarding detailed specs, operating manual & service manual will be of utmost help.

Is this system worth the money? Should we go for it?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Had this , typicall mass market Japanese sound , quiet loud

Far better than Norge , nothing to compare to refinements of flagship Jap amps or euro ones.

Had this , typicall mass market Japanese sound , quiet loud

Far better than Norge , nothing to compare to refinements of flagship Jap amps or euro ones.

Thanks hemant.:)

The KC-105 + KM-105 are for sure low end hi-fi, still they are much better than Norge.

My question is, is it worth INR 12.5K? I mean I can find them on ebay selling at $40. Also can it handle 4 ohms load?

Hemant if you have time, can you kindly explain the difference in sound signature between these Kenwood & say your current Sansui pre power?

I mean do they sound very dry & clinical?

sorry need to update my sig . Sansui is long back sold.

Both were similar and frankly loud - not for my palette

Price , if it is with Eq is OK , you can pull it down

But better wait , these systems by Sansui, Kenwood and technics was lower end of spectrum ,you may wait for good Marantz , Rotel or upper end of Technics , sansui

Sound is subjective so hear it , may times high end sound is not at all palpable for some.. buy if you really like it .. also sometimes due to aging , esp of caps lot of gear sound far different than it orignally was

Price , if it is with Eq is OK , you can pull it down.

I personally think INR 10K will a good price for this combo & INR 8K will be a steal. I will try to pull down to 8K.

And yes we need to audition first & see how it sounds.

But better wait , these systems by Sansui, Kenwood and technics was lower end of spectrum ,you may wait for good Marantz , Rotel or upper end of Technics , sansui

Kolkata is the worst metro city regarding hifi audio seconds sale. In a year you will get five to six hifi audio equipment sells at most.

In Kolkata, Sony is every thing a man wants from audio.:mad:

Sound is subjective so hear it , may times high end sound is not at all palpable for some.. buy if you really like it .. also sometimes due to aging , esp of caps lot of gear sound far different than it orignally was

I completely agree with you in this case. I have heard high quality marantz amps and do not like their sound signature, but there are other persons who die for it. You may call it personal preference.

Also i think the sound signature by which an audio company in known for, evolves with time.

I mean I have heard a few of the current Yamaha amps & they are quite bright sounding & frankly speaking colorful which goes against the natural sound philosophy of Yamaha where as my 1995, DSP-A2070 is not so bright sounding & the sound signature is natural devoid of any coloring's.

When the volume knob is at 25% which is loud, my Yam sound natural, smooth & flowing having intricate detailing which i miss with my Norge. Above 25 - 40%, the sound tends to become visceral, brutal & powerful but never harsh, i mean i can feel the bass slams in my chest & the brutality in my ears. The sound is still natural but it is in your face. I have never went above 40% volume in my home, you just cannot stay in the room. You will be deaf. And this by listening in stereo mode using only two of its provided seven audio channels.

Thanks once again hemant, by the way have you ever tried it with 4 ohm loads?

Last edited:
I never care much about 4 or 8 ohm - upto 25-30 % usage I never found it affects much IMHO

Mama Mia you should be careful here. In my tiny engeenering knowledge, I think that driving a set of speakers rated at 4 ohms in an amp rated at 8 ohms at 15% volume can do considerable damage.

The power dissipation from the power transistors will be excessive and will contradict the designing philosophy.

There was a thread on audiokarma on this topic, wait...

Found it : Why 4 Ohm Loads Stress Your Amplifier

I recommend a throgh read of this thread. Very informative.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back