Need Help on Bying Home Theatre

OP has stated that he cannot sit beyond 14 feet (he cannot use the longer length)
And Op is just being initiated into the world of Hifi. He did not have a set goal except a set budget which he isready to stretch by 10%.

My 2c- BDP makes no sense
1. 29" lcd for regular viewing- 30k
2. 720p projector (optoma,benq, panny 300) for movies - 70k
3. pioneer or oppo dvd player - 15k
4. cables -10k
5 .screen - 5k
6. AVR + speakers = 100k
-------------
Total = 225k

I know people here who say that projector has bulb cost etc.. but if the op is willing to invest 2L +, i am sure he will be not bothered by a 10k running cost every 3000 hours of viewing.

2. Why a projector? Even at just 80" projection- it will still be a better experience than a 50" screen.

With two BDPs in my set up, i know what a fool i have been :)

Yes, but thats only if he plays PS3 at 6 ft distance. What if he is going to watch all HD content at 14 feet as he says?

@MBR - Agree with you (since we're both PV8 owners/viewers). Only thing is when everything else is going the HD route then even the TV should go. Otherwise it makes more sense to go with say Onkyo 5100 for 40K without HD Audio and yet have a great setup. Quite sure HD/Blu-Ray content is going to take a while getting here, but the way I see it neither the OP nor anyone of us is going to be changing TV, HTS, DVDP, etc. with each change in technology. We are going to be stuck with the equipment for a while. When OP has the budget for it then better he is future ready right? Tomorrow when HD content is here the HD Ready TV and the Onkyo 5100 are not going to cut it for Blu-Ray content. The OP can make sure the OP gets the best bang for the buck and is ready for HD content too.

I agree with you there is not much (if any) difference between HD Ready and Full HD. But in the U.S. HD Ready TVs are being phased out and only Full HD TVs are being made especially since they moved all transmission to HD from February. Now this will happen in India too. Not necessarily because our transmission will be HD, but because Sony and co. will have more profits in selling Full HD TVs than HD Ready TVs and so just as CRT TVs are being phased out so will HD Ready TVs. In that case why invest in redundant technology that too with a good budget?

Thanks again friends for your replies. I am feeling knowledgeable here in less than 24 hours of time. Well , considering all your valuable comments , here are my comments .

1. The actual viewing distance would be 11 to 12 ft .
2. I want a simple but best solution. For that I can put effort but only one time as I cant afford to spend too much time on this.
3. There is no gamers in my home till now. I am not very fond of games and my daughter is only 3 and half years old . But still , I can go for PS3 if you guys have asked me to go for it. I am just blind on you.
4. First Movie ( Musicals, Mystery , War, Daniel Craig sometimes ) then Music is my preference.
5.Less Maintenance and easy availibility of service.
6. Please dont use abbreviation while specifying the brand names, I am a kid in this respect.
7. And last but not least , sorry for bothering you so much . But I need your help before making an investment on this.

Ram, the width of his room is 14 feet not his viewing distance. For sure he is not going to sit at one end of the wall. Once he make up his decision, we can advice him on the viewing distance.

Cheers

He said it was 16ft and viewing distance was 14 ft. Thats why i raised the point. He has again clarified it will be 10 to 11 ft.

adding to what realactivex has suggeted i guess a optoma Pj would be anyday much better than a larger size tv
samsung 50" plasma full hd is 130000/-
Samsung 52" lcd is 220000/-
Sony around the same
IMHO a 720p pj would be better esp.for movies and sports action.

kinda of my setup 42"PV-80 PANA for regular watching
anda optoma hd-75 for movies and sports
using a ps3 and now also added a WD tv last week for mkv and other stuff hooked on to my onkyo 606

ps3 i guess doesnt support true hd (may be iam wrong) and definately dosent support .mkv my 2C..may be ram and add to my opinion ...thanks

Alright Sanjub,

Now that you have been convinced to go with an AVR and possibly not full HD, here is my take.

* TV - 50 inch Plasma 720 P (later when BR becomes available on a broader scale, take this TV to your bedroom).

* DVD Player - Oppo 980

* AVR - Denon AVR 789 or Yamaha RX-V663 or Onkyo 706 or Pioneer VSX-1018TXV-K

* Speakers (5) - Polk, Klipsch, Morduant with Denon; Paradigm, PSB, Wharfedale, Monitor Audio with Yamaha (only 5 speakers, options are 2 floor standers (L/R), 3 bookshelves for C/SR/SL or dipole or quadpole surrounds) or 5 bookshelves or 3 bookshelves + 2 quad/di pole surrounds

*Subwoofer - 10 inch powered like a energy, polk, paradigm.
speaker wire + cables from bluejeans or heartland. You are set for within 2 lacs with an excellent 5.1 system that will beat most others and will be excellent for music and music and games.

* Harmony remote 659 to drive the components with the click of a single button

Future purchases - BR player followed by 5 channel or 7 channel amplifier. Both of these will integrate well into this system very well.

Last edited:
It does support, but I remember reading somewhere that it does not pass through. Have to check it out though.

It does support, but I remember reading somewhere that it does not pass through. Have to check it out though.

Why would you want to pass through via the PS3? FYI, "pass through" is a term that the AVR manufacturers cooked up to mean that HDMI audio processing is not being done, implying that audio comes out only through optical/digital coax - which is lossy, atmost 5.1 distinct channels.

Don't buy an AVR that does "HDMI pass through for audio".

Why would you want to pass through via the PS3? FYI, "pass through" is a term that the AVR manufacturers cooked up to mean that HDMI audio processing is not being done, implying that audio comes out only through optical/digital coax - which is lossy, atmost 5.1 distinct channels.

Don't buy an AVR that does "HDMI pass through for audio".

Not really an issue if you want PS3 to handle it, but if you want the AVR to do it then not possible via the PS3. That's what I remember reading somewhere, but I've not checked it out. Will check it out next time I visit my friend for a gaming session.

Hi,

PS3 supports Dolby Tru HD orginally and now with software updates it supports DTS HD and DTS Master Audio also moreover PS3 can send audio signels in two ways 1. Bitstreem 2. Linear PCM, so if you have AV receiver that supports Linear PCM signels you will get Dolby Tru HD and DTS HD (5.1 or 7.1) even though your AV receiver doesnot have High Definition Audio processors, only thing is it will show on the display as MPCM and not as Dolby Tru HD or DTS HD.

I think many Yamaha amplifiers do that, at least mine does (AVR-661 HDMI Version 1.2a, 7.1 channels)

Regards

sub

Hi

HTML:
I think many Yamaha amplifiers do that, at least mine does (AVR-661 HDMI Version 1.2a, 7.1 channels)

I Stand corrected in my Yamaha Model No: it is RX-V661 and not AVR-661.

Regards

sub

Hi Friends ,

I have shortlisted the following TVs

LG Jazz 42LG80FR 74000/-

LG Scarlet 42LG60FR 78000/-

Samsung LA40A650A1 105000/-

LA40A550P1 71000/-

Sony KLV-40W450A 114000/-

KLV-40W400A 93000/-

Please suggest me which one should I go for. I have seen all of these models and the PQ is very good for all of them and I hardly can make any difference.

Hi Friends ,

I have shortlisted the following TVs

LG Jazz 42LG80FR 74000/-

LG Scarlet 42LG60FR 78000/-

Samsung LA40A650A1 105000/-

LA40A550P1 71000/-

Sony KLV-40W450A 114000/-

KLV-40W400A 93000/-

Please suggest me which one should I go for. I have seen all of these models and the PQ is very good for all of them and I hardly can make any difference.

I see that you have chosen 40/42 inch. Go for the one that is priced less and still carries 2 yrs warranty.

If you want to expand your search for more options, panasonic, toshiba and sharp are also solid brands

I am not too good in choosing TVs, but there are others who have personal experience and will come forward with solid advise. But off the cuff, it should be in the following order:

1. Samsung or Sony
2. LG.

Is the Samsung series 6? If so it will be quite an advanced set.

TV experts, please chip is.

There are also a number of other thread where TVs have been discussed thread bare. They could help. The Panasonic PV8 is a very favourite model, and see if you can audition that also.

Cheers

Last edited:
I am not too good in choosing TVs, but there are others who have personal experience and will come forward with solid advise. But off the cuff, it should be in the following order:

1. Samsung or Sony
2. LG.

Is the Samsung series 6? If so it will be quite an advanced set.

TV experts, please chip is.

There are also a number of other thread where TVs have been discussed thread bare. They could help. The Panasonic PV8 is a very favourite model, and see if you can audition that also.

Cheers

Thanks a lot Venkat , I will definitely have a look on the Panasonic model. Tell me one basic thing , is there any significant difference between a LCD and a Plasma. I couldnt figure out anything.But I am a kid in this perpsective.
I have another concern to share with you people. Very recently one of colleagues bought a Denon AVR 1909 and he is having a terrible time to set this up. Our job responsibilities didnt allow us to devote too much time on anything else other than work so it almost make his life more miserable. Even the man from dealer doesnt have the full control over it and the remote control as par him is another 'De Vinci Code' . Can any body help here to configire the same with any meaningful manual or something like that .
Now personally I am bit scared about this incident and wondering if this would be the situation for all AVRs. Can you kindly suggest me an AVR which is easier to setup. Otherwise I might go for an HTiB ( though I am inclined for an AVR ) . Please help. I dont want to purchase trouble at all .

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Venkat , I will definitely have a look on the Panasonic model. Tell me one basic thing , is there any significant difference between a LCD and a Plasma. I couldnt figure out anything.But I am a kid in this perpsective..

Sanju, my kind suggestion, search the thread, most of your questions have been discussed in detail in many threads. Plasma vs LCD is something that has been discussed to death. Pls search and read.

once you have done reading, post your queries in the same thread. That will help future people also to read and get updated. This will help us make the forum easily accessible.

With AVR my learning is , you need to invest sometime to understand it. once you do that its a cake walk. Its like saying I cant drive a car, it has clutch, brake, gear etc etc and Bike was much simpler. Well you wanna drive a car spend that 10 hr and learn it bcos you will enjoy it for some 10000000 hrs right?

Sanju, my kind suggestion, search the thread, most of your questions have been discussed in detail in many threads. Plasma vs LCD is something that has been discussed to death. Pls search and read.

once you have done reading, post your queries in the same thread. That will help future people also to read and get updated. This will help us make the forum easily accessible.

With AVR my learning is , you need to invest sometime to understand it. once you do that its a cake walk. Its like saying I cant drive a car, it has clutch, brake, gear etc etc and Bike was much simpler. Well you wanna drive a car spend that 10 hr and learn it bcos you will enjoy it for some 10000000 hrs right?

I agree on your suggestion to devote time in understanding an AVR. Will try my best if I can at all. And extremely sorry to put a wrong question in this thread. Overall , thanks to everybody for your valuable time for answering my queries. I have enough knowledge now and its time to expedite the actual market rather than hanging in this forum.I am about to start with Sony KLV-40W400A this weekend and then will decide on HT which suits me most. Thanks to everybody again.

I agree on your suggestion to devote time in understanding an AVR. Will try my best if I can at all. And extremely sorry to put a wrong question in this thread. Overall , thanks to everybody for your valuable time for answering my queries. I have enough knowledge now and its time to expedite the actual market rather than hanging in this forum.I am about to start with Sony KLV-40W400A this weekend and then will decide on HT which suits me most. Thanks to everybody again.

Pls dont apologize. The only reason we advocate this is so that all knowledge remains in one specific thread. This will help a new person read one thread instead of going to many threads.

All the best with your adventure.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back