Need Help on Bying Home Theatre

Thanks Sanju. Certainly makes me happy reading what you've posted. We Plasma backers and especially PV8 backers have been accused of everything from being blind to not knowing reality and not being able to see things and a lot of other things... Glad at least you know and understand what we've been saying all along, Plasma rocks and PV8 is the best thing going around at least as of now.

Great purchase and enjoy it man!!!

Thanks Sanju. Certainly makes me happy reading what you've posted. We Plasma backers and especially PV8 backers have been accused of everything from being blind to not knowing reality and not being able to see things and a lot of other things... Glad at least you know and understand what we've been saying all along, Plasma rocks and PV8 is the best thing going around at least as of now.

Great purchase and enjoy it man!!!

Lol nobody is accusing u plasma owners as being blind, or anything,man ur above post made me laugh.remember everyone as their priorities u may prefer the the pv8 sd capabilty no one is denying its VFM.
there are also some who won't be buying another tv for a long time so they do look ahead in terms of featurs and by next year probably every DTH will have HD,it may be expensive but will certainly be cheaper then what the greedy SUN guys are charging now,and DD HD will surely be cheap.
there are again some who even now watch downloaded HD content i am one of them and gamers who might prefer lcds,so every one as different needs and tastes.

BTW sanjub22 congrats on ur purchace.however u could have waited for panasonic X10 plasma the replacement for pv8/80 it has slightly improved contrast and a bit more efficient.

Last edited:
I have a question here.Whatever the little knowledge I have, I dont see any problem in watching full HD content in PV8. I have spent a good amount of time watching the HD content and comparing it with other model. I do agree Sony W450 is the best but the difference of HD picture quality with PV8 is not so distinct that I have to pay another 60K for it. Its not worth of that extra price. As of now I dont have any HD source to play at home,thats why I have downloaded some content today in my laptop and watched that clip through a HDMI cable ( that too a cheap Chinese product ) and the picture was stunning. But after reading your above lines it seems PV8 is not a TV for HD. Please dont take it otherwise I am not here to fight with you ( already doing, another PV8 follower perhaps :) ) but may I know the actual draw back of PV8 which can be easily captured by a normal eye as far as Full HD is concerned. Please rememeber there is absolutely zero posibilities of playing games in my home.

Thanks a lot for your wish 'addr' but it was a instantenious decision after watching a number of models and I didnt know X10 is coming and told you already I am not in favour of 'slightly' which a normal human like me can never spot out.

I have a question here.Whatever the little knowledge I have, I dont see any problem in watching full HD content in PV8. I have spent a good amount of time watching the HD content and comparing it with other model. I do agree Sony W450 is the best but the difference of HD picture quality with PV8 is not so distinct that I have to pay another 60K for it. Its not worth of that extra price. As of now I dont have any HD source to play at home,thats why I have downloaded some content today in my laptop and watched that clip through a HDMI cable ( that too a cheap Chinese product ) and the picture was stunning. But after reading your above lines it seems PV8 is not a TV for HD. Please dont take it otherwise I am not here to fight with you ( already doing, another PV8 follower perhaps :) ) but may I know the actual draw back of PV8 which can be easily captured by a normal eye as far as Full HD is concerned. Please rememeber there is absolutely zero posibilities of playing games in my home.

hi well pv8 would certainly plays FHD content just fine,but the difference is noticible when u play a FHD content in a FHD screen,and it also depends on ur viewing disntance,at a certain disntance our human eye cannot differentiate b/w SD and HD.
the price difference sure there is a lot ,even if the picture quality difference is small ,its the same case in audio,the amount people spend for that extra bit of detail or different sounding amp/speaker etc.
anyway u found the pv8 good for ur criteria and ur eyes,so be happy about ur purchase.:)

Friends ,

I am sorry but I couldnt find out the thread where the best setting of PV8 is provided. Can anyone of you kindly help please. Have spent just 5 days with this beauty and I am thrilled for my new possession. I really owe to you guys for this extremely valuable suggestion. However there are couple of things I want to mention.

1. Some of the channels are looking blurr at times.
2. If I run the TV for a long time continously , lets say 4/5 hours, the upper part of the rear is getting very Hot . Is it something abnormal? Please help.

I have seen some HD Clippings ( HD WMV format from Microsoft Site ) through HDMI cable from my Laptop and its just awesome. To me , the term 'Full HD' is a joke right now though it may have something significant. So am going for PS3 this weekend as I have some budget left , thanks to PV8 pricing. Any suggestion for PS3 ( or any Blue Ray source ) ???

Hi sanjub,

HTML:
1. Some of the channels are looking blurr at times.
2. If I run the TV for a long time continously , lets say 4/5 hours, the upper part of the rear is getting very Hot . Is it something abnormal? Please help.

1. Dull channels are not due to TV, are due to transmission.

2. Regarding upper part (as well as front panel) getting hot is normal.

Anyhow I would suggest using a celling fan to keep things cool for enjoying the TV for long hours without worrying.

PS3 is the best bluray source available at present due to its versatile usage as a game player as well as bluray player. If you are a music lover PS3 is the Best option as it has Hard Disk, USB and its capabilities to upgrade MP3 bitrates for enhanced listining. As an audio player it can be compared to any stand alone audio player with proper stereo amp and floor standers.

My suggestion of providing a celling fan holds good for PS3 also.

Happy viewing (listining)

Regards

sub

I have seen some HD Clippings ( HD WMV format from Microsoft Site ) through HDMI cable from my Laptop and its just awesome. To me , the term 'Full HD' is a joke right now though it may have something significant. So am going for PS3 this weekend as I have some budget left

Hi Sanju

Congrats on your purchase. its a very good brand and has gotten good recommendations though I own a Samsung which I do quite enjoy as well.

In the above note you are contrdicting yourself by realising correctly that full HD is a myth atleast for us in India. But then why do you want to get the PS3? A normal upconverting DVD player would suffice for now. Something to keep in mind before getting the PS3. The BR disks are very expensive and you may miss only a bit in the image clarity with a lower priced upconversion DVD player but thats about it. You can use the extra money to buy CDs or good DVDs which will come out well even at 720P upconversion.

Thanks for your suggestion guys. I went again for a ride but this time for my HD player. Watched the picuture quality very closely with DVD upscaler and PS3 and PS3 is miles ahead with every upscaler I have seen including a commercial one from Pioneer. I was carrying some multiple categories of DVDs with me and the difference is pretty huge in both HD Ready and Full HD display. So my eye again ask me to go ahead with PS3 and here I am a brand new owner of another beauty. Yes the blue ray disks are pretty expensive and I just bought 'Dark Night' and dont have any plan to buy another in near future at least from the Indian market. Even a pirated 'Lion King' dvd is rocking in PS3. The price is 26k for 80gb version with a game free. The Sony Dealer also gave me a Panasonic 1 meter HDMI cable free. For the time being I hooked the audio out with my 4 years old DV100Z HT frm Sony and the sound is good too but with a bit high volume only. My next plan is to go for an Amplifier and Speaker systems but not in this year I guess.
Any suggestion on PS3 friends ?? I really count on you in this respect.

Thanks for your suggestion guys. I went again for a ride but this time for my HD player. Watched the picuture quality very closely with DVD upscaler and PS3 and PS3 is miles ahead with every upscaler I have seen including a commercial one from Pioneer. I was carrying some multiple categories of DVDs with me and the difference is pretty huge in both HD Ready and Full HD display. So my eye again ask me to go ahead with PS3 and here I am a brand new owner of another beauty. Yes the blue ray disks are pretty expensive and I just bought 'Dark Night' and dont have any plan to buy another in near future at least from the Indian market. Even a pirated 'Lion King' dvd is rocking in PS3. The price is 26k for 80gb version with a game free. The Sony Dealer also gave me a Panasonic 1 meter HDMI cable free. For the time being I hooked the audio out with my 4 years old DV100Z HT frm Sony and the sound is good too but with a bit high volume only. My next plan is to go for an Amplifier and Speaker systems but not in this year I guess.
Any suggestion on PS3 friends ?? I really count on you in this respect.

if you are going for the ps3 - go for it man - its a great device, one of the best blue ray players available, great upscaler, internal HDD - and did i forget - one hellva of a gaming machine that is future proof (sony is not launching a new device for the next 2-3 years unless somethign radical comes from the microsoft stable).

BTW just one request - same 2-3 k on the 40gb (dont go for the 80 gb) - and upgrade to a 500gb or 1TB 5400rpm 2.5'' drive later.

Worth the extra money. (people have already fitted the 500GB successfully - its a simple DIY)

I think the 40GB one doesn't have controllers with feedback. Check it out yourself as my info could be wrong/ outdated.

if you are going for the ps3 - go for it man - its a great device, one of the best blue ray players available, great upscaler, internal HDD - and did i forget - one hellva of a gaming machine that is future proof (sony is not launching a new device for the next 2-3 years unless somethign radical comes from the microsoft stable).

BTW just one request - same 2-3 k on the 40gb (dont go for the 80 gb) - and upgrade to a 500gb or 1TB 5400rpm 2.5'' drive later.

Worth the extra money. (people have already fitted the 500GB successfully - its a simple DIY)

Suprateep,I already bought PS3 80gb as they were offering me a free HDMI cable and there was a free PS3 game came along with the package.No offer on 40gb. So I thought to spend 2k more for 40gb extra+hdmi cable+free game. And yes 40gb model doesnt have controllers with feedback.Not a very effective feature but funny indeed.

Good choice with the PS3. Will take care of DVD and HD content for a while. It even handles MKV rips and the internal HDD can be upgraded.

Hello Everybody,

Greetings from my side. I want to set up a home theatre at my home. The room is approaximately about 14X18 ft in size and the viewing distance is on the 14ft size. There is no way I can utilize the length ( 18 Ft ).
My Budget is around 2 lakhs (Max 10% tolerance)
First of all I want a full HD LCD. So considering the above information please suggest me whether I should go for a 32/42 inch. Which I brands I should look for . I am confused between Sony and Samsung.

I am looking for a home theatre with a blue ray player.

I am looking for both music and movie. So should I go for a HTiB or the components one. Please give me details for both. But I dont know any HTiB in India with a Blue Ray Player. But afterall I am not inclined for a very complicated setup.

Can any kindly suggest please.

Hi Rajeev Mehna this side, Regarding LCD Sony is better choice compare to Samsung, Take W series in 40" or 46 ", regarding audio please don't focus on HTIB, because lot disadvantages like wattage is on lower side, THD on higher side, DVD are bound to fails because of wear / tear and optical failure and whole system goes for toss. Focus on AVR based audio if Music is primary interest then take tower speaker base solution if Movies then you can have satellite options.

Regards

Rajeev Mehna

Av consultant

AVO

Hi Rajeev Mehna this side, Regarding LCD Sony is better choice compare to Samsung, Take W series in 40" or 46 ", regarding audio please don't focus on HTIB, because lot disadvantages like wattage is on lower side, THD on higher side, DVD are bound to fails because of wear / tear and optical failure and whole system goes for toss. Focus on AVR based audio if Music is primary interest then take tower speaker base solution if Movies then you can have satellite options.

Regards

Rajeev Mehna

Av consultant

AVO

Hey Rajeev , thanks for your suggestion , but that was a pretty older post on which you have given me reply. I already have bought Panasonic PV8 and a PS3. The reason for choosing these particular combination has already been provided in this thread in detail. I will definitely go for an Amplifier Speaker combo but not before next 6 months. Movie is my primary choice ( almost 90% ) so you can suggest me on that perspective. I already received some valuable and most practical suggestion from other group member and in going to buy the TV I realised how damn practical those are. Also looking for your suggestion for Amp/Speaker . A good satellite 5.1 is my personal choice.

Back