Need Help on Bying Home Theatre

Now personally I am bit scared about this incident and wondering if this would be the situation for all AVRs. Can you kindly suggest me an AVR which is easier to setup. Otherwise I might go for an HTiB ( though I am inclined for an AVR ) . Please help. I don't want to purchase trouble at all .

Sajub, do not be afraid. We are all here for you. Between a few of us, we have set up and installed literally every AVR out there. We will certainly help you. Fear is no reason to move away from buying an AVR.

Once you have shortlisted the items and made your purchase, we can give you a set of instructions on what you must do initially. I have had a Denon 1909, a Yamaha 863/663 and Onkyo models up and running within an hour.

Cheers

Sajub, do not be afraid. We are all here for you. Between a few of us, we have set up and installed literally every AVR out there. We will certainly help you. Fear is no reason to move away from buying an AVR.

Once you have shortlisted the items and made your purchase, we can give you a set of instructions on what you must do initially. I have had a Denon 1909, a Yamaha 863/663 and Onkyo models up and running within an hour.

Cheers

Thanks a trillion Venkat. But I need to explore the market first as far as availibility and servicing is cncerned. I am from Calcutta and I have heard regarding the better servicing/dealer option for Yamaha/Onkyo here. No idea regarding Denon. Let me explore the market first and will let you know. Btw , have decided for Sony KLV-40W400A ( around 90k) but can definitely change my option if you asked me to go for something else ( may be some cheaper option). Dont give me choice , just pin point one particular brand/model and I will go blindly for that. I am still in a dilema to go for the aforesaid model when the HD market is still way beyond maturity and I have read in a thread that full HDs cant produce a SD content very clearly. And as you know 90% of the current content is SD. So , pravuji ... please rescue me from here and tell me a name.

and I have read in a thread that full HDs cant produce a SD content very clearly. And as you know 90% of the current content is SD. So , pravuji ... please rescue me from here and tell me a name.

That is correct to a certain extent and yes most of our content is SD right now, but do note that HD content will increase and replace SD content, well maybe not right now, but eventually it will happen. Now the thing to consider is how long before you plan to invest in another TV. If it's not going to be long then you can just blindly go with the Panasonic PV8 for under 50K and then later go for a Full HD plasma or LCD and move the PV8 to the bedroom or the kids or parents room. However, a TV is not something we purchase everyday and if you're planning to say live with this TV for a good number of years and will not be going for another TV for quite a while then do go for a Full HD TV right now. Time is relative but a good number of years can be anywhere from 2 years and above. You can live with a HD Ready TV for 2 years (maybe less especially if DTH goes the HD way and there are talks of Tata Sky, Sun TV, Big TV doing it), so if you plan to not invest in another TV for 2 years or more then go with Full HD, but if you plan to invest in another TV in say 2 years or under then you can go with the PV8.

Also, keep in mind you've been mentioning about a PS3 and/or a Blu-Ray player and if you really will be getting them and HD content like Blu-Ray discs or even 1080P content from the internet (I should not be saying this, my apologies to anyone offended) then a Full HD is the route to go.

Moser, is there a less expensive FullHD Tv than the Sony than Ssnjub has chosen? What about Samsung?

Cheers

Yeah Venkatji,

Some of the models in Sony are KLV-40V400A 75K, KLV-40S400A 70K, KLV-37S400A 65K. All of them are Full HD and 40", the last one is 37". Prices are approximate from around a month ago and might have come down and/or can be further bargained. Samsung and LG compare favorably with these models of Sony, of course the mighty X series of Sony scores (rather rules over all), but really way too expensive. In terms of price, it makes more sense to go with LG or Samsung since they would be around 55-60K at the higher end of the spectrum and more economical than a Sony. Of course this is only for Full HD models. HD Ready would be around the 50K mark (last year end LG Jazz HD Ready was around 40K if I remember correctly) but here the PV8 or the Samsung 410/450 make more sense being better in PQ and HD Ready too.

Finally "adder" I'm sure should have more and/or better inputs seeing he knows more about LCDs and their panels too. Hopefully, he is following this thread and will respond or else may PM him.

@adder - Awaiting your valuable suggestions.

Moser, is there a less expensive FullHD Tv than the Sony than Ssnjub has chosen? What about Samsung?

Cheers

well if u want a FHD model with ur budget of 90k yes the sony W series is the best out there,while the lower end S,V lacks the contrast and wide gamot colors although all are labeled to have the same contrast, the W series still has the edge thanks to different backlight,even the image processing is better in W series even though all are labelled BE2,alternately u can go for samsung series 650 which is almost as good as the sony W series but looses in contrast and input lag.

but dont want to spoil ur purchace but the newer models of samsung and sony are just around the corner expected to be released around june,july.
the new models are just better in all aspects but not sure about the price.

@venkatcr thanks for the pm i didnt even know we had a "what should i buy" section and other good threads,

Last edited:
So Sanjub, the Sony KLV-40W400A seems to be a good model. The Samsung is a few thousand less, and not worth the effort.

Go for the Sony. We can then start configuring the rest of your system.

Cheers

So Sanjub, the Sony KLV-40W400A seems to be a good model. The Samsung is a few thousand less, and not worth the effort.

Cheers

Venkat, you know how much it costs and where we can get from? Is there any 52 inch for this model and its price?

I guess its 60Hz only, since this site KLV-40W400A : W Series : BRAVIA LCD TV : Sony Asia Pacific does not show anything about it. In US 120hz version costs almost in general 200$ more than the regular version, depending upon the model.

Last edited:
Venkat, you know how much it costs and where we can get from? Is there any 52 inch for this model and its price?

Sam I will wait for Moser, Adder, MadBullRam and others to reply. I am not too much onto the current pricing and technologies for TVs. I am looking at a big screen in June/July when I will start researching the whole market. Till then I wont have too much information on TVs.

Cheers

W Series - KLV-52W400A

Sonys 52 (132 cm) W-series BRAVIA is a Full HD step-up model with stylish design which includes a wide range of features including BRAVIA Engine 2, Live Colour Creation and BRAVIA Sync, as well as PhotoTV HD and DM Port for viewing of digital media files.
MRP Rs. 199,900 /-*

LCD Screen Size
52 (132 cm), 16:9
TV System
M, B/G, D/K, I
Colour System
NTSC 3.58, PAL, SECAM, NTSC 4.43 (AV In), PAL 60 (AV In)
Video Signal
480i, 576i, 480p, 576p, 1080i, 720p, 1080p

Display Resolution
1920 x 1080
Video Processing
BRAVIA Engine 2
Panel Bit
10-bit Panel
Backlight Module
WCG-CCFL
Advanced Contrast Enhancer (ACE)
Yes
Theatre Mode
Yes
24P True Cinema
Yes
PhotoTV HD
Yes
MPEG Noise Reduction
Yes
Dynamic Contrast
33000:1
Panel Contrast
3000:1
Viewing Angle
Screen Format
Wide Zoom / Normal / Full / Zoom
Picture Mode
Vivid / Standard / Cinema / Photo
3D Digital Comb Filter
Yes

Power Requirements
110-240V 50/60 Hz
Power Consumption
280W
Standby Power Consumption
Less than 0.3W
Dimensions (W x H x D) with Stand
1262 x 871 x 347 mm
Dimensions (W x H x D) without Stand
1262 x 829 x 119 mm
Weight with Stand
38kg
Weight without Stand
32kg

BRAVIA Engine 2
BRAVIA Engine 2 incorporates full digital signal processing technology in all high-quality image processes, thereby maximizing the features of display devices and producing sharp, vibrant, life-like images. The fully digital video-processing circuit can reproduce optimal, high-resolution images from SD signals and HD signals.
More

Full HD 1080
With High Definition (HD) 1080 recording, the effective scanning line is 1,080, which is more than twice the number in conventional standard definition (SD) format, and video data quality of High Definition 1080p recording is about 4.5 times more.
More

PhotoTV HD
This new feature allows you and your loved ones to enjoy all your favourite images right on your BRAVIA TV in their full glory. Create a slide show directly from your Handycam, Cyber-shot or Alpha featuring your exotic vacation or a collection of images from days long past and enjoy them in the High Definition and colour of your BRAVIA TV.

24P True Cinema
While conventional televisions (and most DVDs) operate at 50Hz, modern film-makers record their films onto Blu-Ray Disc using 24 frames per second (24Hz, or 24P). With 24P True Cinema, your BRAVIA will automatically recognise these films and select the correct format for playback so you see and hear the film just as in the theatre.

Intelligent Picture
BRAVIA's Series is equipped with Intelligent Picture that automatically boosts weak analogue broadcast signals (RF) and reduces the noise of these signals to produce vibrant and noise-free pictures. Enjoy images of the highest clarity on BRAVIAs Series every single time.
More

MPEG Noise Reduction
MPEG Noise Reduction automatically reduces block noise and improves the edges of characters while at the same time, successfully suppressing noise that usually appears at high contrast edges. Enjoy crisp, noise-free images with sharp edges on BRAVIAs Series televisions.

BRAVIA Sync
BRAVIA Sync allows for intuitive one-push play and shutdown as it synchronises with all your other entertainment devices.
More

New S-Force Front Surround
Sony has developed the new S-Force Front Surround by improving the digital signal processor algorithm and the result is a wider listening area that delivers amazing virtual surround sound using just the built-in television speakers. Listen to every dialogue with the Voice Zoom function while maintaining the level of ambient surround sound and maximise your movie watching experience with BRAVIA.
More

Ambient Light Sensor
BRAVIAs innovative ambient light sensor automatically adjusts screen brightness to match the ambient light in the room and, as a result, saves on power consumption and reduces eye fatigue at the same time. Now you can just switch on your television and enjoy your favourite programmes in perfect colour and contrast automatically without having to adjust a single thing.

Wide Colour Gamut CCFL 2nd Generation
The Wide Colour Gamut CCFL (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp) 2nd Generation improves the vibrancy and richness of reds, greens and blues and uses an additional phosphor coating for brighter backlighting. With an improved tri-colour enhancement, you receive richer reds, more natural greens and clearer and deeper blues for more detailed colours than ever before.
More

Picture In Picture (PIP) & Picture And Picture (PAP)
Watch two separate pictures from different sources on the screen at the same time!
More

Theatre Mode
Collaborating with Sony Pictures Entertainment, Sony has created Theatre Mode, Sonys authorised picture setting for films that accurately balances the colours of dark scenes and with the right amount of film-grain. You can now experience every movie exactly the way the director intended!

Live Colour Creation
Revel in a world defined by vibrant and natural colours with Sonys Live Colour Creation technology. Live Colour Creation is the result of the synergistic effect of Sonys backlight

I guess its 60Hz only, since this site KLV-40W400A : W Series : BRAVIA LCD TV : Sony Asia Pacific does not show anything about it. In US 120hz version costs almost in general 200$ more than the regular version, depending upon the model.

well in india u do get 100hz version called KLV-40W450A MRP of 113000 street price of around 106000,btw the street price of KLV-40W400A is around 85k or less.
at 50inches FHD tvs are very expensive the 50inch W400A version costs around 180000.

Cheers

Thank you very much sir. It seems like a professional service I am getting here.Amazing. Anyway , I am ready to go for this but 'addr' is saying that there is a new model coming for both Sony and Samsung within 3/4 month. So just need his opinion if it would be worth waiting. See I dont have any plan for a frequent update and I want a stable system for at least 6/7 years if not more than that.So I really dont have any problem in waiting for some more time if you guys have asked me to do.I dont want to make a single step without your guidance right now :)

well if u want a FHD model with ur budget of 90k yes the sony W series is the best out there,while the lower end S,V lacks the contrast and wide gamot colors although all are labeled to have the same contrast, the W series still has the edge thanks to different backlight,even the image processing is better in W series even though all are labelled BE2,alternately u can go for samsung series 650 which is almost as good as the sony W series but looses in contrast and input lag.

but dont want to spoil ur purchace but the newer models of samsung and sony are just around the corner expected to be released around june,july.
the new models are just better in all aspects but not sure about the price.

@venkatcr thanks for the pm i didnt even know we had a "what should i buy" section and other good threads,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Anyway as you are saying that there is a new model coming for both Sony and Samsung within 3/4 month I can wait for them if you advise me to do so.I dont have any plan for a frequent update and I want a stable system for at least 6/7 years if not more than that.So I
am not at all in hurry and really dont have any problem in waiting for some more time if it would make more sense and fruitfull for a long run.

Thanks a lot for your reply. Anyway as you are saying that there is a new model coming for both Sony and Samsung within 3/4 month I can wait for them if you advise me to do so.I dont have any plan for a frequent update and I want a stable system for at least 6/7 years if not more than that.So I
am not at all in hurry and really dont have any problem in waiting for some more time if it would make more sense and fruitfull for a long run.

well it is ur money and spending close to a lakh on a tv is a lot,so if i were u i would definetly wait for the newer models,since we know its already out in other parts of the world and new tvs are just better.
but if u want a tv now then the sony KLV-40w400a is the right choice.

well it is ur money and spending close to a lakh on a tv is a lot,so if i were u i would definetly wait for the newer models,since we know its already out in other parts of the world and new tvs are just better.
but if u want a tv now then the sony KLV-40w400a is the right choice.

So I will also simply wait. Told you I am not at all in hurry .

Here I am again but this time not to bother you with questions but to share my experience with everybody. As advised , I was just waiting for some new HD models from Sony and Samsung expected to be released in coming couple of months. Till now, I only read tons of reviews and have browsed some gb of data regarding HDTV and all but never have experienced by my own. So have decided to have some real looks while my waiting period is on. So I have started my mission and find things awfully different than the actual advertisement and how precisely you guys have suggested me in some of the earlier posts. I went for a vigorous look on Sony W Series,Samsung 6. Initially the eZone guys were a bit reluctant but a little bit of 'Vitamin M' has solved my purpose. The first thing strikes me most that to a common layman like me, HD Ready and Full HD hardly make any difference. I was carrying a National Geography Series Blue Ray which included one episode on the Tulip Agriculture of Netherlands so there are lots of colors and I really cant differentiate between a HD Ready and Full HD. Sony W450 and Sharp Aqua HD Ready was side by side and those are 200000% identical. Then I asked the boy to provide some SD signals as that will cover my 90% viewing. And then I realized that what a big fool I am to decide to spend almost 100K for a Full HD. The picture was good on Sony but way beyond from the Value For Money aspect. Same is for Samsung Series 6. For some of the channel like ESPN,Discovery I find the picture quality of Sony Series S or Samsung 4 or Phillips HD ready is better than the models with full hd. And at this point of time I was immensely confused and almost decided to continue with my old Sony 29inch CRT.In the process I have visited almost 15 shops in Calcutta including retailer like eZone but the result is the same.

Then I thought to write you again for a HD Ready model as I am fully depressed over the Full HD Concept. I was again going through all your posts and found that I have missed a valuable suggestion from you guys. I was so biased towards Full HD that I never give it a thought and That is Panasonic PV8.So I went for a last try and went to a retailer called Technocity. And man, what a recommendation. For the first time I am having some positive perspective on LCD/Plasma category as this model was working best with the SD signal among all the models I was looking for the last 3 days and is equally brilliant with HD also.After lots of Reviews, advertisement, magazine, internet etc for the first time I started believing my eyes and it is a complete 'Love at First Site'. So I went straight to Panasonic Dealer as I dont believe this retailers and bought this one with 49 k with a free assured gift( started from yesterday only, a digi cam or home theater or 50 dvd on scratch card), though I didnt receive it yet.

Anyway, thanks a lot to you guys again for this wonderful recommendation which is being cherished by every family member in my home.

I will definitely write my specific questions and my personal experience with PV8 after some research.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back