Need Help - Projector Screen for Epson 3020 (TW6100 in Europe)

saikatbiswas82

Dear All,

Finally I pulled the trigger on Epson 3020 (TW6100 in Eurpoe). I am yet to receive it.

Here are my conditions:
1. My room is 9'6" X 16'6"
2. I have to place the screen on 9'6" wall
3. Wall cannot be painted as I have a window on that wall. I need to place a screen on that wall.
3. Throw distance will be approx 15' to 15'3"
4. Viewing distance will be approx 11' to 13' (its a bed where we'll be sitting - so the distance varies)
5. Epson 3020 has 2300 lumens of output
6. Ambient light can be controlled
7. My room is a dust magnet. So the screen that I need to build or buy, should be cleanable with water or cleaner like colin etc.
8. I am looking at approx 100" 16:9 screen.

Meanwhile was doing some research on the screen to select. Here are few things that I came to know after searching HFV and other forums. I am sorry that I don't have all the links available with me right now. Here are few thread links for reference:
http://www.hifivision.com/diy/58768-building-fixed-frame-100-screen.html
http://www.hifivision.com/home-theatre-projectors-screens/50982-paint-recommendation.html

Things I've learned so far (including my questions):
1. "Blackout cloth can be used as screen. Blackout cloth is available in curtain stores." - online research
Now, when I checked with few local stores, they didn't know what a blackout cloth is. I've found that while making heavy curtains, they use a thinner white cloth and stitch it behind actual curtain. They call it lining cloth. Is blackout cloth similar to what they call "lining"? Is it advisable to use as screen?
2. In one thread I've found that FM has used Asian paints' Winter Moon shade on MDF for a matte gray screen. Here's the link of the colour shade:
Winter Moon. Do you think its a nice solution in my scenario?
3. What screen material should I use?
4. Should I go for a gray screen or a white screen?
5. I've heard about Carl's place. If someone recommends the same, please let me know which type of cloth should I go for?

Looking at the pattern of questions, it is clear that I am utterly confused. Please help me out.

If it is dedicated room then you can go for fixed screen , liberty grandview and Elite has range of screens you can select according to budget. When it comes to screen, DIY route is out of scope for me . Motorised screen is triple the cost of manual with same quality fabric

Not sure I understand why you are looking at blackout cloth and stuff.
Are you planning to DIY?
It's going to be in front of a window, right? So you will need a pull down screen. :confused:

If it is dedicated room then you can go for fixed screen , liberty grandview and Elite has range of screens you can select according to budget. When it comes to screen, DIY route is out of scope for me . Motorised screen is triple the cost of manual with same quality fabric

Could you please let me know approximately how much a manual or fixed screen might cost for Liberty or Grandview? I'm looking at 100" 16:9 screen.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Not sure I understand why you are looking at blackout cloth and stuff.
Are you planning to DIY?
It's going to be in front of a window, right? So you will need a pull down screen. :confused:

To tell you the truth, I'm also confused whether to go for branded or diy route. I'm not planning to open that window behind the screen anytime soon. So I have an option for fixed screen.

Obviously if I go for manual pull down screen, I'd be having an option for opening that window occasionally.

Another two reasons why I was thinking about a fixed screen might be:
1. Somewhere I read that manual pull down screen might loose tension and the edges tend to bend over a period of time. Is it true?
2. Occasionally I might use celling fan while watching movies. Will manual screen be stable under these circumstances? Given that the screen will be approx 9'6" to 10' away from celling fan. Celling height is 10'6".

1. Somewhere I read that manual pull down screen might loose tension and the edges tend to bend over a period of time. Is it true?
2. Occasionally I might use ceiling fan while watching movies. Will manual screen be stable under these circumstances? Given that the screen will be approx 9'6" to 10' away from ceiling fan. Ceiling height is 10'6".

1. I have had my 100" (4:3) manual pull down screen for around 8 years. No problem though my usage is very low.
2. That will not be an issue. In fact I have a fan about 3-4 feet away from the screen and have no problem.

Blackout cloth is a thickish material which completely blocks light. Not lining which is much more transparent, at least the ones I am familiar with. Should be available at any curtain shop. You'll probably need to figure out the local term for it :eek:

1. I have had my 100" (4:3) manual pull down screen for around 8 years. No problem though my usage is very low.
2. That will not be an issue. In fact I have a fan about 3-4 feet away from the screen and have no problem.

Blackout cloth is a thickish material which completely blocks light. Not lining which is much more transparent, at least the ones I am familiar with. Should be available at any curtain shop. You'll probably need to figure out the local term for it :eek:
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'll check the branded options available in Kolkata.

Meanwhile, I'll check with local curtain shops for the blackout cloths as well.

Today I had a chat with Nechams. Their manual screen range starts from 11.5k+tax.

Could you please let me know approximately how much a manual or fixed screen might cost for Liberty or Grandview? I'm looking at 100" 16:9 screen.

39750rs for motorised screen and 11750 rs for manual , its liberty grandview CNC series 100 " , 16:9

39750rs for motorised screen and 11750 rs for manual , its liberty grandview CNC series 100 " , 16:9
Motorized one is way above my budget. Nice to know the manual screen price. Thanks for the same. Will check for its availability in Kolkata. Is it available online anywhere BTW?

I was expecting some thoughts on the the DIY options as well. Is there anyone to comment on the same? How does it compete with branded screens etc.

I was expecting some thoughts on the the DIY options as well. Is there anyone to comment on the same? How does it compete with branded screens etc.

Most of the really good HT in this forum will be fixed frame, you can check the threads of santhosh's, sam9 or john anthony.

Carlofet is a great site for research esp. on DIY, spend some time there you will get answers to all your doubts. Shipping costs tend to be expensive.

Most of the really good HT in this forum will be fixed frame, you can check the threads of santhosh's, sam9 or john anthony.

Carlofet is a great site for research esp. on DIY, spend some time there you will get answers to all your doubts. Shipping costs tend to be expensive.

Thanks for your suggestions. I have been following some of those threads. Will look into those options as well.

I found that FM bikram_singh also faced same situation a couple of years back. He did some research with initial questionnaire like me only. Here's the thread url:
http://www.hifivision.com/home-theatre-projectors-screens/51030-flexigray-progray.html

He finally ended up with Carl's flexi gray.

Here's his post for reference:

Hi,

I used FlexiGray which I bought from Carl's Place and then sought help of carpenters to fix it on a frame. I got the screen stretched and stapled on a wooden frame. The size of the screen is 135" and its 16:9.

Here's the original thread url for reference:
http://www.hifivision.com/my-audio-video-setup/59263-pics-my-home-theater.html

I have the same projector for the last 2 years. Is one of the best for the price. I would recommend a fixed frame as even the costly rolling ones develop ripples over time. There are some which have tensioner on the rear which can be used to remove ripples over time.

I have the same projector for the last 2 years. Is one of the best for the price. I would recommend a fixed frame as even the costly rolling ones develop ripples over time. There are some which have tensioner on the rear which can be used to remove ripples over time.
Thanks Audiodoc. What type of screen material do you use? What gain? Which color? What size?

If you have a dedicated room don't think of a manual screen.

Also, flexible Grey is good for ambient light conditions. If you can control light use flexi white. Total cost of material plus shipping plus black tape would be around 200usd

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

If you have a dedicated room don't think of a manual screen.

Also, flexible Grey is good for ambient light conditions. If you can control light use flexi white. Total cost of material plus shipping plus black tape would be around 200usd

Actually, the room is not a dedicated HT room. I'm planning to set it up in my bedroom only. Audio related devices are already in place. The PJ will be an add-on.
I was talking about manual screens earlier. But later on the potential flutter issue and the wrinkle issue caught my eyes. Now thinking about all possible options before investing.

I dont have a screen as yet use a Matt painted wall. Had purchased a temporary 100 inch screen but when you use the epson the bigger the better. The current 12 foot room is giving me a 120 inch image. Since I am at a rented accommodation I have not put up a screen however during my research I loved fixed screen ones purchased or DIY with black borders. 16 to 9 or 16 to 10 ratio ones. All others costing more than 50000 at my local dealer from dalite etc had developed ripples due to humidity.
Unity gain white ones are great in a darkened room with dark walls. Epson produce a bright image.

Last edited:
If the room is not dedicated then pull down is more practical. Use a manual pull down with instalock which will be steady and use the hook to keep it steady. It will be cheaper to invest in an ac to avoid the ripple due to the fan.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back