Need help selecting a mid-range reciever. Onkyo/Denon/Pioneer/Sony/Marantz???

nikhil1300

Need help selecting a mid-range reciever. Onkyo/Denon/Pioneer/Sony/Marantz??? which are new in the market and looking for good after sales services and available in Bangalore
basic needs
need 3d
need hdmi input 1x4
need 7.1

will also upgrading to ps3 so i will not have to buy a blue ray player
waiting for input

Need help selecting a mid-range reciever. Onkyo/Denon/Pioneer/Sony/Marantz??? which are new in the market and looking for good after sales services and available in Bangalore
basic needs
need 3d
need hdmi input 1x4
need 7.1

will also upgrading to ps3 so i will not have to buy a blue ray player
waiting for input

Remove Sony and include Yamaha in your list. Now, all these brands do provide good AVRs. The main thing - what is your budget ? Any thing in your mind on speakers option ?

Denon AVR-2113 is very good & meets all your requirements, but will cost near 45K.

Room size 12x15,budget 35 to 40k, already using Yamaha rx v5956,wharfadal RB-27(80ohms,150w)

I can list some of the best models suitable for your budget and room size (and also the speakers), but I would advice you to look at the reviews of these models and also audition them.

1. Onkyo TX-NR616 (100 w per channel)
2. Yamaha RX-v573 (90 w per channel)
3. Denon AVR1913 (95 w per channel)
4. Marantz SR1603 (50 w per channel)

It must be noted that the power rating is done with 20hz to 20khz with 2 channel driven against 8 ohms.
Onkyo TX-NR616 has THX select 2 crtification which is very much suitable for your room size. It doesn't mean the rest of the models are bad, but just a fact to be known.

Regarding the Marantz SR1603, it has significantly less power compared to other models, but you have 2.1 channel preouts. It means you can connect 2.1 channel power amps to drive your wharfedle FR/FR speakers to the maximum potential. So if you are ready to spend another 20 or 25 k in power amps, then SR1603 will be a better option (SR1603 coupled with amp will be a dufferent thing altogether). If you don't have any plans to go for a power amp, then don't go for Marantz. So you need to make a call on the options and please go through the reviews/auditions as well.

I have been offered the Pioneer VSX-922-K for Rs. 34500 all inclusive. It meets all your requirements. I will be auditioning this receiver in a weeks time. Waiting for my speakers to arrive. What Hi Fi does not sing praises for this receiver but I am, in all probability still going to pick this one up as nothing remotely matches its specification and feature list at this price point. Dealer comments are positive for this receiver.

I have been offered the Pioneer VSX-922-K for Rs. 34500 all inclusive. It meets all your requirements. I will be auditioning this receiver in a weeks time. Waiting for my speakers to arrive. What Hi Fi does not sing praises for this receiver but I am, in all probability still going to pick this one up as nothing remotely matches its specification and feature list at this price point. Dealer comments are positive for this receiver.

hi sandeepmohan

can you please tell us what those delta or additional features/specs that VXX-922-K offers over the similarly priced AV receivers from other brands ?
As far as I know, I can see only 5.1 AV receivers at this price, but not 7.2. Also, with those 7 channels, I guess you can re-assign two of those 7 channels for zone 2. So except for the channels/zone-2, I do not see much difference, but you can correct me if I am wrong. For example, all other features like ethernet, Airplay, etc are offered by other models at the same price. For the power ratings, they have quoted 150 w with 1khz and that is very ambiguous and that too with 6 ohms. I prefer to see the power rating with at least 2 channel (stereo mode) driven in 20-20000hz range with 8 ohms impedance (though this way of rating the power itself is in no way match to the full disclosure power ratings). So if we can get to know the power rating of VSX-922-K on those lines, then we can say how good it is at the price you have quoted.

can you please tell us what those delta or additional features/specs that VXX-922-K offers over the similarly priced AV receivers from other brands ?

To start, I don't know what is similarly priced. The Onkyo, Yamaha and Denon's are all well above this price point. I can't find FLAC playback capability on any of the other brands, something I need a lot though its a different thing on how a receiver handles FLAC. Connectivity was another bonus. All speakers terminals are banana plug compatible on the Pioneer.

I have no use for this but 6 HDMI inputs is a bonus on the long term.

75watts@8ohms is a more realistic number to look at it and its all I need. I don't plan on bringing down the house.

I would like to buy the Onkyo 515/616 or the Denon 2113 but the pricing in India is retarded. As I am not taking HT serious enough and never will be, the Pioneer works. Depending on your requirements, it may or may not work for you.

This link should give you more information on the 922.

VSX-922-K |

To start, I don't know what is similarly priced. The Onkyo, Yamaha and Denon's are all well above this price point. I can't find FLAC playback capability on any of the other brands, something I need a lot though its a different thing on how a receiver handles FLAC. Connectivity was another bonus. All speakers terminals are banana plug compatible on the Pioneer.

I have no use for this but 6 HDMI inputs is a bonus on the long term.

75watts@8ohms is a more realistic number to look at it and its all I need. I don't plan on bringing down the house.

I would like to buy the Onkyo 515/616 or the Denon 2113 but the pricing in India is retarded. As I am not taking HT serious enough and never will be, the Pioneer works. Depending on your requirements, it may or may not work for you.

This link should give you more information on the 922.

VSX-922-K |

Thanks for sharing the details on the additional features you liked in 922. My intent was not to suggest a different model, but trying to get more out of my curiosity on what those additional features that were compelling for you.

In another pioneer website (belonging to some other region), the power spec fox 922 was displayed as 150 w per channel (2 channel driven with 1 khz and 6 ohms) and felt it was misleading. So my other point was that whether you had been misled by that power spec. Any way, you have found the right details in the Pioneer India website.

My intent was not to suggest a different model, but trying to get more out of my curiosity on what those additional features that were compelling for you.

I understand and I never felt you were inclining on. I don't mind at all if you can find and suggest a equally good model. Something that scales up to the Pioneer or much higher in quality which the Onkyo is. Keeping budget in mind. I really would like to own the Onkyo or the Denon but its just out of reach.

Last edited:
I understand and I never felt you were inclining on. I don't mind at all if you can find and suggest a equally good model. Something that scales up to the Pioneer or much higher in quality which the Onkyo is. Keeping budget in mind. I really would like to own the Onkyo or the Denon but its just out of reach.

I have been through many reviews of different brands. The most common conclusion I see is that all the AVRs perform the same when it comes to sound quality. At similar price, you may not see any difference between Onkyo or Denon or Pioneer or Yamaha. So this one perspective. The second perspective is also similar, but people say that the SQ of differeent AVRs are very much subjective. That is, each brand has it's own signature and there is no any standard benchmark to qualify the performance. Some even say that AVRs doesn't matter and it is all about how good the speakers are. So purely from SQ perspective, Pioneer will be more or less performing the same with other brands like Onkyo or Yamaha.

The only thing that might differentiate between the AVRs of different brands is how strong the amp section is. When performing at 80 to 90% of the total volume level, does the amp section of your AVR struggle ? So the difference between different barnds could be only from the point of how stronger the amp sections are ... At the same time, how many people are going to play sounds at that high volume level ? .... So irrespective of the brands, if you choose the right speakers, then that would be the right way.

When performing at 80 to 90% of the total volume level, does the amp section of your AVR struggle ?

No budget or mid range AV receiver that I know off sounds good at these volume levels. In fact; they start falling apart when you start going beyond 60% of the volume. The solution to this is a dedicated quality power amplifier.

An example I have personally experienced is with the Marantz SR7005 driving a pair of Polk Audio RtiA9's. This was once the top of the line receiver. It could drive the Polks but my jaw dropped when my friend-colleague added a Emotiva XPA-5 power amplifier to the rig. The Polks just transformed as there was so much more quality power going into them. Not that the Marantz was bad sound in any way. With the Emotiva thrown in, the sound and drive was effortless. The Polks keep singing even when pushed hard, something the Marantz could not do. Says a lot about the Emotiva though.

Since my budget is around 20-25K, Planned to stick with Pioneer HTP-071 HTiB which has rich set of features on paper. Auditioned the same in Reliance Digi Store as well. Is this a really good choice for movie experience(80% Movies only)?

Also, I have two 8 ohms bookshelves speakers as well. Can this be connected to this Pioneer AVR instead of it's punny speakers?

Kindly provide your suggestions to proceed further. I'm not considering onkyo 3500 due to passive sub and Denon-1312 for lack of ARC support.

Also, I have two 8 ohms bookshelves speakers as well. Can this be connected to this Pioneer AVR instead of it's punny speakers?

Kindly provide your suggestions to proceed further. I'm not considering onkyo 3500 due to passive sub and Denon-1312 for lack of ARC support.

The Pioneer HTP-071 comes with a passive sub too. HTP-522 comes with an active sub which is identical to the sub woofer provided in HTP071. Check before buying. Pioneer India website does not mention anything about an active sub woofer for the HTP-071

HTP-071 |

It is better you buy only the Pioneer receiver supplied with HTP071 which is basically the VSX-522-K with a sub woofer pre out and use this to drive your bookshelf speakers. I assume they are good quality book shelves. The budget will increase for sure but you will end up with a better sounding system.

Advisable to replace the Denon with VSX-922 ??

Hello All,

I hope my comments wont digress the topic at hand..

I intend to buy the following combination

Option 1:

Denon 1913 or 2113
+ Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 (Living Room)
+ Wharfedale Diamond 121 Speakers in Bedroom (Zone-1)
+ Wharfedale Diamond SW-150 Subwoofer or One Piece Wharfedale Powercube PC12+ Subwoofer (Zone-2)

Option 2:

Denon AVR-2113
+ Wharfedale Diamond DX-1 5.1 Home Theatre Speaker Package
+ Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 Speakers (Zone-1)

Will it make sense to replace the Denon with the Pioneer VSX-922?

The Pioneer HTP-071 comes with a passive sub too. HTP-522 comes with an active sub which is identical to the sub woofer provided in HTP071. Check before buying. Pioneer India website does not mention anything about an active sub woofer for the HTP-071

HTP-071 |

It is better you buy only the Pioneer receiver supplied with HTP071 which is basically the VSX-522-K with a sub woofer pre out and use this to drive your bookshelf speakers. I assume they are good quality book shelves. The budget will increase for sure but you will end up with a better sounding system.

OMG!!! I did not notice this. I thought it's Active sub type. So I can replace it with my powerful assembled sub as well. Now again I got into the dilema.

I have four good speakers (8 ohms) and one Sub woofer on hand. I need to buy the center speaker and good mid range AVR. This is what i have in my mind. Otherwise, will go with HTP 071 package alone (due to the budget constraints). Im getting it for 20K in RD store. Please give some guidance.

The Pioneer sells at a much cheaper price than the Denon and should not be compared. The Denon 2113 is superior in sound quality too. You should stick with the Denon.

Option 1 might be pushing it too far and when it comes to managing the entire system. If there won't be a situation where all three zones are active, it is alright. I won't recommend it otherwise.

Options 2 is alright with the 2113.

You need to consider running wires from the AV receiver to wherever else it is your zones are.

Hi,

I just checked with one of the dealer in Chennai, He ready to give Pioneer VSX 522 at 17K flat (without bill) with bill he quotes 21K. Is this good price? I have one sub and two 8" tower speakers as well. Only need to buy voice speaker.

Is this a good avr in terms of good features. Kindly give your inputs to proceed further

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back