Need Help :: SVS PB-1000 Poor Bass Response

@Hari Iyer, thanks for the suggestion Hari. I am planning to do this with a SPL meter, problem is that I live in an appartment, I hardly find a time when its quiet :) ..there is always some background noise.

For adjusting phase you may not require an SPL meter. Only if you plan to level the freq response then you may require one. If you intend to do the objective measurement way then you can also check out on REW software if it can help.

Planning to use a Y-Splitter cable as input. I think it should boost the output upto +6Db. I dont recall whether I should still keep the SW crossover to MAX (LFE) or set it to 80Hz as, now I am using a Y cable.

Planning to use a Y-Splitter cable as input. I think it should boost the output upto +6Db. I dont recall whether I should still keep the SW crossover to MAX (LFE) or set it to 80Hz as, now I am using a Y cable.

How would a Y splitter help increase the bass level? Follow the suggestions mentioned in above posts. The Audyssey setup did not help?

How to MultEQ | Audyssey

MaSh

Actually Y splitter has helped, I think it has raised the output by a few Db. Anyways I'll revert with my detailed feedback on pb-1000.

What is the source of this Y splitter cable?

AVR's sub-out is the source. The crossover at AVR is 80 Hz and that on Sub is anything more than 80. Good thing is Sub Gain sits at 50% now and AVR sub vol. at 0Db. The desired state.
The issue with movies has been fixed. I'll check how it performs w/ music.

AVR's sub-out is the source. The crossover at AVR is 80 Hz and that on Sub is anything more than 80. Good thing is Sub Gain sits at 50% now and AVR sub vol. at 0Db. The desired state.
The issue with movies has been fixed. I'll check how it performs w/ music.

Interesting. Faulty cable I guess. Did you try with another non Y splitter cable? Anyways, good issue is resolved now.

Phase mismatch between front and sub is the only reason for low bass. Period. You need to adjust phase meticulously as instructed. The correct phase could actually be between 0 deg and 180 deg and not necessarily at 0 deg or 180 deg.
Interesting. I did not know this. Hari sir, can you please point to a resource on how to do this?

Interesting. Faulty cable I guess. Did you try with another non Y splitter cable?
Y cable may raise the output anywhere between 3 to 6 Db. I tested the same with my ex-Sub (polk-psw110) and found it to be somewhat true.
So the output by PB-1000 was better.

Secondly, Audyssey worked this time,
I took care of the possible reflections by covering my leather sofa behind the measurement area and kept varations of 8 points atmost w/in 3 ft. range from the Primary Listening Position. despite speakers level set in negative, and subwoofer all the way down to -12 Db. I can still enjoy a fuller sound, perfect dialogues and sufficient low end. (keeping sub gain at 50% and AVR vol, max @ -6 Db).
~Slash.

Y cable may raise the output anywhere between 3 to 6 Db. I tested the same with my ex-Sub (polk-psw110) and found it to be somewhat true.
So the output by PB-1000 was better.

Secondly, Audyssey worked this time,
I took care of the possible reflections by covering my leather sofa behind the measurement area and kept varations of 8 points atmost w/in 3 ft. range from the Primary Listening Position. despite speakers level set in negative, and subwoofer all the way down to -12 Db. I can still enjoy a fuller sound, perfect dialogues and sufficient low end. (keeping sub gain at 50% and AVR vol, max @ -6 Db).
~Slash.
Raising by 1db .....means raising power ..... How can a Y cable raise power without any amplification by Y cable ?

Little confused....can you show me the y cable in amazon...

Got it..... Actually double power or signal is drawn from the AVR by using the splitter ..... And send to 2 inputs of the sub ...... Hence more gain .... Y splitter is just an illusion ... But works..... It like connecting 2 pipes to a tank of water which will fill a bucket in half time .....due to double outlets .....

With out power gain in input(same sub volume level) there will be no gain in db....

Thanks for the link...

Last edited:
Update :: Sub. response seem to be good with movies with Audyssey (or without it). However, "Music" requires the AVR's sub. volume to be raised to +8 on AVR, with Sub. gain at 1' o clock. As of now looks like Polk PSW-110 was better for Music.

The observation by other FMs that SVS's do not have mid-bass thump is correct. Let me try some more stuff and get back.
P.S. Its still excellent for movies :)

The observation by other FMs that SVS's do not have mid-bass thump is correct. Let me try some more stuff and get back.

Yes,l felt the same that mid bass is not great when tested 4 SVS subs (Pb n Sb) back to back.

Update :: Sub. response seem to be good with movies with Audyssey (or without it). However, "Music" requires the AVR's sub. volume to be raised to +8 on AVR, with Sub. gain at 1' o clock. As of now looks like Polk PSW-110 was better for Music.

I remember another FM had raised the same "lack of mid bass punch" for music in svs pb-1000. But SVS claims pb-1000 is for Movies/Music in the product overview..

Is it because pb-1000 is working more on very low end of the frequency response ( say below 30 Hz) and not giving much output close to 60 or 80Hz?

The inbuilt DSP comes into effect to keep the sub in control and makes it slightly lazy for music..
I guess.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back