Need help to decide a TV

Yes I wanted to check out 50pk550 but I could not find it @ e-zone.. I will try to check it out in a day or two..

My purchase will be around saturday or next week depending on when I can finalize a model..

You guys are being really helpful thanks a lot :D

let your eyes be the final deciding authority.

Either 42" or 50", I use a 42" display from a viewing distance of barely 5' and i like it so 50' inch for a 15' distance definitely wont be that bad.

when the size becomes bigger of course you loose out on micro packed sharpness and the watching over sized resolution in a small screen effect, but the large screen is more easy on the eyes is what ive experienced.

HD looks good upto 50", SD wont make much of a difference since no flat panel display shows good SD video quality. If you buy a HD ready 42" or 50" and play SD then the difference will be sharpness and depth of details since the SD vid becomes softer as the size increases.

Rightly summed up. This is all the info you need.

Panasonic 42C10 was there for 42k but I did not like it much..

If you did not like this, you'd not like the other plasmas as well. Be noted that plasmas shine in the home environment.

For 42", the best bets for around 50k are Samsung B530/B550/C550 LCD. Sonys in this range are pretty bad. If you can increase your budget to 10 to 15k, There is Ex500 and NX500 but as you said you can live with 10-15% less PQ, The samsungs are a better bet. IMO, these are only 5% lesser in PQ (if there is such a measurement ;) ) to the sonys EX series.

I recommend you B530/B550/C550 LCDs. These are between 45 and 50k. Seems like plasmas are not to your taste but have a home demo from one of the members before deciding. Demoing a PK550 in the store for you is also a waste of time IMO.

If you did not like this, you'd not like the other plasmas as well. Be noted that plasmas shine in the home environment.

For 42", the best bets for around 50k are Samsung B530/B550/C550 LCD. Sonys in this range are pretty bad. If you can increase your budget to 10 to 15k, There is Ex500 and NX500 but as you said you can live with 10-15% less PQ, The samsungs are a better bet. IMO, these are only 5% lesser in PQ (if there is such a measurement ;) ) to the sonys EX series.

I recommend you B530/B550/C550 LCDs. These are between 45 and 50k. Seems like plasmas are not to your taste but have a home demo from one of the members before deciding. Demoing a PK550 in the store for you is also a waste of time IMO.

I shall be going with my dad to City Centre mall tomorrow which has showrooms for Sammy, LG and Sony - so I will check all these models out and decide.

I dunno about plasma - the other models on display seemed decent but the panny 42c10d was really bad quality with jagged edge, grainy etc.

Also one thing I noticed was that e-zone was displaying bluray content on the sonys but dvd on the panny/samsungs ! this also I'm sure contributed to sony looking way better lol.. =!

I guess I will have to decide b/w Samsung 50k range and Sony's EX500 series as you say, again I would prefer to spend 50k so that I can push for the ps3 :p

50pk550 is also on my radar if only it is available.. also I thought that 50" would be too large as we have a smallish hall - but if its a tossup b/w 40" sony (why do they lack 42s??) and 50" lg may go for lg at similar pricepoint..

All this is so befuddling.. also adding to the MF equation is the US prices.. Indian prices are almost at a 40~50% premium on conversion 1$=40inr.. its sad..

also I may be preferring lcd now due to the lit up viewing zone.. plasma I hear performs best in absolute darkness which will never be a watching condition at my home.. @_@ but plasma is better for gaming.. so.. gleaargh. how much does lcd/led response time affect gaming? probably gonna be gaming racing/fifa/something like uncharted and stuff - few FPS since I HATE console fps controls after playing too long on pc :p

ps: will posting a pic of the hall (where I will be putting up the TV) help?

Last edited:
Also not that much of a advantange but the sony ps3 bravia sync is reported to make full use of the HDMI-CEC,then many other brands.

I own a 46EX500 and a PS3 "fat". I can confirm Bravia Sync (HDMI CEC) does not work with older Fat PS3 versions. Works only with PS3 Slim.

I
also I may be preferring lcd now due to the lit up viewing zone..much does lcd/led response time affect gaming? probably gonna be gaming racing/fifa/something like uncharted and stuff - few FPS since I HATE console fps controls after playing too long on pc :p

ps: will posting a pic of the hall (where I will be putting up the TV) help?

most lcds have gaming mode i play all kinds of FPS games,atleast i haven't noticed the lag.the samsungs lcd however have a bit more lag especially if it comes with a SPVA panel.

also I may be preferring lcd now due to the lit up viewing zone.. plasma I hear performs best in absolute darkness which will never be a watching condition at my home.. @_@ but plasma is better for gaming.. so.. gleaargh. how much does lcd/led response time affect gaming? probably gonna be gaming racing/fifa/something like uncharted and stuff - few FPS since I HATE console fps controls after playing too long on pc :p

Am not a hardcore gamer but I play Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 1 & IL2 Sturmovik (World War II Flight Sim) pretty regularly on my EX500 LCD using game mode. I do not notice any lag at all.

I see so LCDs are fine for casual gaming on TVs.. this does relieve my head a lot.. lets see

So, can it be said that samsung b530/b550/c550 == sony BE3 ?? (more or less)

After looking at the markets I found 2 models to my liking

Samsung 40C550 for 58k
LG 42LH70YR for 60k
(price as per showroom final)

Sony 40EX500 did not look very good and was offered for some 68k which is extremely expensive as preliminary watching made me thing as samsung to be better.

Could you give me any understanding as to which I should choose lg or sammy?

I think the main difference I found was LG having 100hz tech and bigger screen compared to sammy which I think has better SD processing ???

Last edited:

Samsung 40C550 for 58k
LG 42PQ70YR for 60k

Sony 40EX500 did not look very good and was offered for some 68k which is extremely expensive as preliminary watching made me thing as samsung to be better.

I think the main difference I found was LG having 100hz tech and bigger screen compared to sammy which I think has better SD processing ???
I would clearly go with the samsung much better contrast then the lg.

Samsung 40C550 for 58k
LG 42PQ70YR for 60k

42PQ70 plasma for 60k is daylight robbery! It is being sold for ~40k here.
My collegues have got the 40B550 LCD which is a comparable 2009 model to 40C550 for 48k including a DVD player last deevali. Even last month, I know someone who got the 550 along with SUN HD connection for 50k.

The first thing you need to do is get out of the shop and find a better shop.
You are probably standing in one of the cromas?

I was standing in Samsung and LG showrooms ;P I am obv not going to buy from there itself.. but it shows how overpriced this shit is wow.. hmm

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back