Need help to decide a TV

shubhangam

Hi

I am looking to purchase a new TV for our home and need some help on choosing a model.

I am from Kolkata and would prefer buying locally.

Viewing Distance - 8 to 15 feet

Content - 90% SD (probably TataSky) 10% Movies

Will also be purchasing PS3/XBOX360 so gaming and maybe bluray watching will be involved.

Budget is around 55k~65k.

I am thinking of getting a 42", is it enough? or I should look into 46 or 50? Please take in consideration that we are shifting from a 24" CRT.

Based on extensive research I am thinking of getting maybe a Panasonic 42G10 or LG LED 42LH90..

TV will be in main hall, where there is a slight sunlight penetration (no direct on tv) during day and at evening/night watching conditions are generally with 1tubelight on.

Looking forward to suggestions.

Also please recommend me some good shops which have the lowest prices in Kolkata so I can do some field research per availibilty and market prices.

Thanks a lot
Shubhangam Agrawal

Last edited:
If your viewing distance is 8 to 12 feet,you can make do with 40''.but anyting higher a 46'' would be fine.

The sony EX500 fits your requirement,its has better SD performance,has a matte screen.
second choice the samsung c630.

The Sony is a LCD with CCFL lighting I see.. wouldn't plasma suit my needs better as I will be using it for gaming also (to avoid ghosting and stuff)?

Also would be helpful if you explain how a TV is better suited for SD viewing.

Could you give me the price point of the 46" offering?

Panasonic 42G10 or LG LED 42LH90
Both are excellent choice..

IMO..Since your viewing distance varies up to 15 feet, you can also consider 50 inch plasmas.. look for samsung 50c550, LG 50PK550.. both are similarly prices around 65K to 70K.. 50c450 is 720p and suits better for SD viewing.. it should be available for as low as 55K..

Last edited:

IMO..Since your viewing distance varies up to 15 feet, you can also consider 50 inch plasmas.. look for samsung 50c550, LG 50PK550.. both are similarly prices around 65K to 70K..

Hmm I am going to look at 50pk550 seriously now.. since I read on AVSforums also that its picture quality is as good as pana 42g10.

If its available for 65~70k it should be damn good...

Between the two G10 anyday!
But, for the price of 42G10, You can take home 50c550 or 50PK550.

I hate Samsung and LG for not providing any 42" FHD plasmas. There is a huge market of it in india and I don't know when they will realize it!

Last edited:
Between the two G10 anyday!
But, for the price of 42G10, You can take home 50c550 or 50PK550.

I hate Samsung and LG for not providing any 42" FHD plasmas. There is a huge market of it in india and I don't know when they will realize it!

Hmm I will be going out in the evening and checking out 42G10 and 50PK550

If they are at similar price point I will probably prefer the 50 because mostly it will be SD watching by family and I will be getting a PS3 soon for myself so slight difference in PQ is not really a big thing. screen size will be the biggest clincher for the family ;)

Lets see..

Also tell me something - as PQ is not THAT important to me (only 10% movie watching probably DVDs) should I opt for something around 50k with 42" or go for 46" or 50" with lower PQ?? (after all more money saved = very good thing :p)

Hmm I will be going out in the evening and checking out 42G10 and 50PK550

If they are at similar price point I will probably prefer the 50 because mostly it will be SD watching by family and I will be getting a PS3 soon for myself so slight difference in PQ is not really a big thing. screen size will be the biggest clincher for the family ;)

Lets see..

Also tell me something - as PQ is not THAT important to me (only 10% movie watching probably DVDs) should I opt for something around 50k with 42" or go for 46" or 50" with lower PQ?? (after all more money saved = very good thing :p)

All of G10 c550 and PK550 are FHD plasmas.
If PQ is not that important to you, LG is unbeatable. Their 42" PJ series plasmas are ~37k. You can get the Panasonic 42C10 plasma for the same price AND better PQ. These are not FHD TVs but have a good PQ.

Check out Panasonic 42C10 for 37k. That will suit to the best.

Refer http://www.hifivision.com/television/9948-panasonic-viera-th-p42c10d-price-pune.html.

Last edited:
The Sony is a LCD with CCFL lighting I see.. wouldn't plasma suit my needs better as I will be using it for gaming also (to avoid ghosting and stuff)?

Also would be helpful if you explain how a TV is better suited for SD viewing.

Could you give me the price point of the 46" offering?

Well you do have room that has significant amount of light,hence the plasma will loose its black levels & will begin to look washed out.check this post www.hifivision.com/television/9942-32-fullhd-lcd-42-hd-ready-plasma-7.html#post137205
panasonic plasma also loose their black levels after a few hundred hrs of use.
The sony has better upscaler & better de interlacer the 09 panasonic.
Also not that much of a advantange but the sony ps3 bravia sync is reported to make full use of the HDMI-CEC,then many other brands.

FHD is only important if I'm playing blurays right?

Ya.. Blurays and other 1080p contents..
If your primary requirement is DTH, look at a BE3 engine equiped sony LCD or a Samsung 5 series LCD or a 4 series plasma. These have the best SD upscalers.

The Samsung B550/C550 LCD costs ~50k and is FHD.

Hmm this is getting interesting..

So my best best would be a sammy c550 ? Also I will check out some sony TVs

Performance needed is in order SD (DTH) > GameConsole > Movies (mostly divx/xvid, and some 720p content)

I'm still confused as to 42" or 46" or 50"? I'm guessing a lower size would translate to a better quality for SD? (lower upscaling and less grain)...

Please keep in mind viewing distance will be 9' to 15'

Again 5~10% lower PQ for a good 10k+ saving is much preferred over ultimate quality

Thanks!!

Hmm this is getting interesting..

Performance needed is in order SD (DTH) > GameConsole > Movies (mostly divx/xvid, and some 720p content)

I'm still confused as to 42" or 46" or 50"? I'm guessing a lower size would translate to a better quality for SD? (lower upscaling and less grain)...

Again 5~10% lower PQ for a good 10k+ saving is much preferred over ultimate quality

Thanks!!

Get an HD ready (720p) plasma.. suits your requirement.. and if your buy a 42 incher then there will be a huge saving which we can use for home theater or gaming rig..

So my best best would be a sammy c550 ? Also I will check out some sony TVs

let your eyes be the final deciding authority.

Either 42" or 50", I use a 42" display from a viewing distance of barely 5' and i like it so 50' inch for a 15' distance definitely wont be that bad.

when the size becomes bigger of course you loose out on micro packed sharpness and the watching over sized resolution in a small screen effect, but the large screen is more easy on the eyes is what ive experienced.

HD looks good upto 50", SD wont make much of a difference since no flat panel display shows good SD video quality. If you buy a HD ready 42" or 50" and play SD then the difference will be sharpness and depth of details since the SD vid becomes softer as the size increases.

I went to e-zone and looked around.. the selection there was pretty pathetic.

Size-wise 40"-42" should be fine - 50" is crazy huge...

I did like the look of Sony 40EX400 which was for 61k

Samsung 32B530 was avail but could not see any c550 series

Panasonic 42C10 was there for 42k but I did not like it much..

Also there was a samsung 40B6000 for 90k which looked good (LED) but is way out of budget..

I will head to some malls and other electronics store and find out more on the topic.. lets see

also I saw the sony ex700 which looked stunning compared to the other sonys but was for 99k :S

Last edited:
Do consider LG 50PK550 which a member has recently bought for less than 70K. It is full HD plasma and seems to have good specs.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back