Need HTPC build help

Jhonny.S

hello guys,

New to this awesome forum..

want to build custom HTPC for my Media playing and gaming(not tooo serious gaming, but mid level gaming)

browsing through lot of sites for this purpose.
requirements:
1) Complete HD video and Audio
2)Moderate gaming
3)Should not be power hungry and should be value for money.
4)need silent and stable system.
5) Should not be overkill to call it as 'HTPC'.

Budget:15 to 18K.

got some info from other sites, looks cool, need your nod..
these specs are from some US site, so, need to know the availability also.
both are around 17000. Need suggestions keeping VFM in mind and should be futureproof for next two to three years.
Suggest me if i can get something good with less price.

AMD:
[cpu] Athlon X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz AM3 95W
[mobo] GIGABYTE GA-MA78LMT-S2 AM3 Micro-ATX
[gpu] ASUS GeForce GT430 1GB DDR3 128-bit Low Profile
[case] SILVERSTONE ML03B Micro-ATX
[psu] Antec EarthWatts 380W ATX12V

INTEL:

[cpu] Intel Core I3-2100 3.1GHz LGA-1155 Dual-Core 65W
[mobo] MSI H61M-E33 (B3) LGA-1155 Micro-ATX

Thanks.
Jhonny.S

Last edited:
hello guys,

New to this awesome forum..

want to build custom HTPC for my Media playing and gaming(not tooo serious gaming, but mid level gaming)

browsing through lot of sites for this purpose.
requirements:
1) Complete HD video and Audio
2)Moderate gaming
3)Should not be power hungry and should be value for money.
4)need silent and stable system.
5) Should not be overkill to call it as 'HTPC'.

Budget:15 to 18K.

got some info from other sites, looks cool, need your nod..
these specs are from some US site, so, need to know the availability also.
both are around 17000. Need suggestions keeping VFM in mind and should be futureproof for next two to three years.
Suggest me if i can get something good with less price.

AMD:
[cpu] Athlon X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz AM3 95W
[mobo] GIGABYTE GA-MA78LMT-S2 AM3 Micro-ATX

INTEL:

[cpu] Intel Core I3-2100 3.1GHz LGA-1155 Dual-Core 65W
[mobo] MSI H61M-E33 (B3) LGA-1155 Micro-ATX

Thanks.
Jhonny.S

I would go with Intel option..

Instead of GT430.. I would choose ATI 6570 or 6670 or 5770..

All the best..

Last edited:
thanks for your suggestions..

i am concerned abt MSI board in intel option..can you guys suggest me any other board from Asus or Gigabyte boards for same intel processor..

(i am looking for some HTPC with gaming, preferbly will have vfm graphics card).

Thanks.

Gigabytes are good performer & recommended for gaming.So can be used for HTPC.MSI MB are VFM.I have used 2 in past.both gave problems in warrenty period(mostly related to Display).Once repaired,both worked long.
Asus are better build boards,but need to read review before as they had some compatibility problems(with GC)in past.

dude,
i have a htpc. i dont think its the pure example of a htpc or something but it serves my purpose like gem that is moderate gaming and HD movie watching. i am giving this as an option to think of.
amd athlon II x4 635 - 4.5k,
gigabyte 880gm-ud2h - 4.5k
corsair 4gb - 4.5k
cooler master elite 360 - 1.6k
xfx radeon 5770 1gb - 8.6k
logitech mk320 k&m combo cordless - 1.4k
i connect this to my onkyo htib. 5770 bitstreams HD video and audio well and am having very good experience. benchmark wise for HD decoding , AMD athlon II x4 does better job than i3. so i chose this one. RAM 4gb i needed as i wanted to install windows 7 64bit. motherboard , i think you can go for a cheaper one than mine as the GPU alone does the decodings.
use powerdvd or xbmc for watching movies.

dude,
i have a htpc. i dont think its the pure example of a htpc or something but it serves my purpose like gem that is moderate gaming and HD movie watching. i am giving this as an option to think of.
amd athlon II x4 635 - 4.5k,
gigabyte 880gm-ud2h - 4.5k
corsair 4gb - 4.5k
cooler master elite 360 - 1.6k
xfx radeon 5770 1gb - 8.6k
logitech mk320 k&m combo cordless - 1.4k
i connect this to my onkyo htib. 5770 bitstreams HD video and audio well and am having very good experience. benchmark wise for HD decoding , AMD athlon II x4 does better job than i3. so i chose this one. RAM 4gb i needed as i wanted to install windows 7 64bit. motherboard , i think you can go for a cheaper one than mine as the GPU alone does the decodings.
use powerdvd or xbmc for watching movies.

Thanks Karthik,

how old is your HTPC(prices of components are same as of now?)
and, does this mother boards have 1.4 HDMI? as i am thinking of future proof.
and does these components have optical out?Do i need any external Audio card /WIFI card and TV tuner card?( i want to record some of my favourite NGC episodes)
I am going to use this with my full HD 32Inch LCD, and have plans for Onkyo 3400 in near term.(No monitor)
i am really confused..sorry for long list of noob questions.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Check out the AMD Fusion thread. I just built it 10 days ago. A couple of other guys have also built it. It is just superb as an HTPC. But I am not sure about gaming.

Any ATI card from the 6 series supports HDMI 1.4. However be aware that support is only partial for any graphics card at the moment. All support 3D but no card supports 4k x 2k resolution.

Check out the AMD Fusion thread. I just built it 10 days ago. A couple of other guys have also built it. It is just superb as an HTPC. But I am not sure about gaming.

Thanks Vivek.
i had a look at your thread. It is super cool.
but, i need HTPC with gaming toooo...

anyway..congrats on your build...
can you suggest me on other questions like soundcard/tv tuner/wifi..

Thanks.

Kadirs recommendation is good.

To start with go for the 880G chipset with on-board video then add a second discrete video card later. Make sure the mobo supports crossfire.

HTH

thanks for your suggestions..

i am concerned abt MSI board in intel option..can you guys suggest me any other board from Asus or Gigabyte boards for same intel processor..

(i am looking for some HTPC with gaming, preferbly will have vfm graphics card).

Thanks.

Here is link to Asus MB with same chip

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS P8H61-M LE

ATI Card 5770 is good for gaming with moderate setting but it comes with hdmi 1.3 version. New revision 6750/6770 which are expensive as they are new in the market. Unless you want 3D, hdmi 1.3 is enough for HD A/V.

Last edited:
Here is link to Asus MB with same chip

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS P8H61-M LE

ATI Card 5770 is good for gaming with moderate setting but it comes with hdmi 1.3 version. New revision 6750/6770 which are expensive as they are new in the market. Unless you want 3D, hdmi 1.3 is enough for HD A/V.

Thanks Pungan.
But i see only 1k difference between 5770 and 6770.
i feel like i cut my cost in CPU (taking some lower range) and move that money to this GPU, as main performance of media playing directly depends on GPU. am i right?

and what is that moderate setting needed for 5770?

Cheers,
Jhonny.s.

Last edited:
Thanks Pungan.
But i see only 1k difference between 5770 and 6770.
i feel like i cut my cost in CPU (taking some lower range) and move that money to this GPU, as main performance of media playing directly depends on GPU. am i right?

and what is that moderate setting needed for 5770?

Cheers,
Jhonny.s.

Yes most of the media performance is taken care by GPU.

Moderate setting - those are graphics parameters while playing games such as resolution, shadow effects etc, if you select max values for these parameters then game's performance will slow down.

Yes most of the media performance is taken care by GPU.

Moderate setting - those are graphics parameters while playing games such as resolution, shadow effects etc, if you select max values for these parameters then game's performance will slow down.

is that a yes? can i choose lower range CPU as i dont any multitasking...
and can you through some light on wifi and sound card questions tooo..

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.
Jhonny.s.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back