Need ideas for stuffing my DIY Fostex BLRs

anilva

Hi,

I have almost finished getting the cabinets built for the Fostex FE206Es based on Back Loaded Horn design of Fostex.

There are couple of sound insulation pads that I need to fit inside the enclosure before I close the sides of the boxes.

You can see the design at http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_comp/pdf/recom_enclose/206e_enclrev.pdf

Earlier I used to use automobile felt pads and they were quite dense, but are messy.

Any ideas of what new materials can be used, which are better for sound damping as well as being easy to handle. Suri, George..?

TIA
Anil

P.S: I will try and post the pictures of the internals of the enclosure before I get them closed.

Hi,

I have almost finished getting the cabinets built for the Fostex FE206Es based on Back Loaded Horn design of Fostex.

There are couple of sound insulation pads that I need to fit inside the enclosure before I close the sides of the boxes.

You can see the design at http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_comp/pdf/recom_enclose/206e_enclrev.pdf

Earlier I used to use automobile felt pads and they were quite dense, but are messy.

Any ideas of what new materials can be used, which are better for sound damping as well as being easy to handle. Suri, George..?

TIA
Anil

P.S: I will try and post the pictures of the internals of the enclosure before I get them closed.

hi anilva, i read your post with great interest - you seem to have taken on a very complicated project, and, completed it!!

i must congratulate you on your industry and enthusiasm!!

after your post, i researched (the net) - yet, i think, felt (one-eight inch thick and doubled) will best serve your purpose (this project)

you ask - new materials? - AFAIK - felt used this way will suit your purpose.

sorry, if i cannot be of more help than this.

Hi Anil

I have used both felt and Black Hole.In my view felt is a better and lower cost choice, and locally available to boot. Once you fix it and close the sides, it ceases to be a problem:D

Black Hole is probably a lot superior but costs an arm and a leg.

I would love to stop by and audition the system once you have it up and running.

George

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

I will post some pictures shortly. My carpenter is not only a skilled worker but understands speakers. He did a good job.

If you feel felt is still the best option here, I would still to it. I thought may be there are new synthetic materials which can be used.

HFV members are most welcome to listen to the speakers once done.

Cheers.

Here is an update on my Fostex Back Loaded Horn speakers. They are done. There is a slight screw up on the front baffle polish. The melamine is peeling off a bit. The carpenter is going to scrape the front and redo the polish and melamine again.

The speakers are currently put in for break-in. They sound very nice. Open and transparent and very nice mids and highs. The lows are also pretty good, except the very lows. Not at all a strain on the ear.

Will update you after the break-in.

Here are the pictures.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_5922.jpg
    IMG_5922.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_5925.JPG
    IMG_5925.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_5926.jpg
    IMG_5926.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_5927.jpg
    IMG_5927.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 250
Here is the image before the finish of the speaker. Quite a complex construction.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Hi Anil,

The speakers are looking good.That is a fantastic job.

I bet they sound very good.I would love to listen to them.

Looks like the Altec 811 horns have been cleaned up.

Regards
Rajiv

Thanks Rajiv. thanks to you for the 811s. They are cleaned up and ready to start firing, once I receive the diahphragms from Great Plains.

As far as the Fostexs go, I was trying to upload a 'work in progress' picture in PDF format, to show the internals, but could not due to some issues on size I guess. The carpenter did a damn good job of exactly replicating the fostex build details. They are sounding very nice with lot of detail and imaging.

They also are quite efficient and can reach nice levels.

Cheers.

Thanks George.

My carpenter and me have a running contract on everything he does for me. I do not know the amount yet, but my guess is it will be in the range of 10 to 15K. This has been a very challenging work for him.

He is already enquiring with me on the open baffle project ;-) I have completely run of space in my HT room.

Regards
Anil

Hi Anil

I spent about 8-9K excl the drivers) on a much simpler floor stander design (the Bob Brines one), so I was curious. I think that 10-15K is a real steal, and many of the other guys out there ( sitting on the wall) should quickly realise that for this kind of investment diy gives you a far far bigger bang for the back.

I met Vikas yesterday (doors666) to see how he was progressing with his subwoofer and he said that diying his sub has taught him a lot.

George

George,

Absolutely no question on that. This is fantastic value for money. Since I also borrowed a pretty proven design, like you did with Bob, there is very little to go wrong, other than small tweaks. I am pretty happy with the result so far.

Well executed DIY is far ahead of commercial systems, in terms of ROI. The fact that India is quite low on labour costs and also availability of skill for bespoke work is all the more reason, we should look at DIY wherever possible.

Yes, it requires some personal time to be spent and sometimes hunting around for stuff, but it is worthwhile. Also gives fantastic satisfaction for a DIYer.

I had my own share of failures. Once I got a pair of large subwoofers made by a local carpenter and installed in them my NHT1259 drivers. The whole cabinet started vibrating with inter layer noise, as the chap did not glue the layers well. I had to simply throw the boxes away and start fresh.

Thanks to all the members for the support. My next project is already on the design board. This time Open Baffle with 2 X 12" Pro / Guitar drivers with a Horn (or) Ribbon (or) Fullrange . Tone Tubbies are very much on the list.

Regards
Anil

Thanks to all the members for the support. My next project is already on the design board. This time Open Baffle with 2 X 12" Pro / Guitar drivers with a Horn (or) Ribbon (or) Fullrange . Tone Tubbies are very much on the list.

Regards
Anil

Woo hoo! Awesome! From the looks of it, the TT just might work great with the Econowave WG's in an OB with a pro-woofer covering the lows. I can't wait for your project to take off. All the best! :eek:hyeah:

I am contemplating to experiment by changing drivers of my speakers to fostrex drivers FE 206 en. Can I consider some other drivers of fostrex make. It is noted that the said driver's handling capacity is 30 watts rms only. Any fostrex drivers with higher rating is available? If so, any lead will be appreciated.

Great looking speakers :cool: hope i get a chance to listen to them :p

Use wool as stuffing or dacron "pillow" stuffing. People have there opinions as to which is most effective. If you use long fibre wool, you must support it with netting. If you can't get long fibred wool, use fibreglass insulation. I have used Dacron for my DIY TOWERS

Regards,
Anil

DIY PAGE :)

Here is an update on my Fostex Back Loaded Horn speakers. They are done. There is a slight screw up on the front baffle polish. The melamine is peeling off a bit. The carpenter is going to scrape the front and redo the polish and melamine again.

The speakers are currently put in for break-in. They sound very nice. Open and transparent and very nice mids and highs. The lows are also pretty good, except the very lows. Not at all a strain on the ear.

Will update you after the break-in.

Here are the pictures.

Cheers.

Last edited:
@Anil Kumar:

By design the Back Loaded Horn is not supposed to be stuffed with any fill, but place few pads of sound absorbents at few places (behind the driver) and at the mouth of the horn. I have used felt and has worked out nicely. I was looking for more sophisticated (modern) material but did not find something easily. Ofcourse you can have a listen to my speakers and also check out few others things as well.

@buswal:

Some of the fostex speakers are pretty unique and demand a Transmission Line or a Back Loaded Horn design and cannot be used in normal ported/sealed enclosures. Please make sure of what you select in the fostex range and refer to the suggested enclosure designs by fostex. Please select the right driver. Replacing an existing driver with a Fostex is risky. As regards power rating, most of them are high SPL designs and are meant to be driven by low power amps such as tubes. Wattage does not mean much.

Cheers.

dear anilva, thanks for the dope. i will take your point into account before venturing. I was under the impression (sic wrong impression) changing the driver will improve the sound quality of my speakers. that is not the way, I got it.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back