Need Reviews inorder to purchase LCD -SONY W550A

get_rakeshin

Dear All - I have been browsing and checking out comments on every FORUMS of Television. It seems all experts are out in this forum . So decided to check out on expertise comments on Follows

Im planing to purchase SONY KLV- 40W550A for daily use of watching Cable , gaming mode using PS2 & watching some times DVD movies. Well main point I would like to high light and need your expertise comment is that im using Local cable network for viewing TV and this is been forwarded by local cable guy in our area.There is no set up box at my end. So will I get good view & clear pictures on KLV- 40W550A for viewing cable or will there be blured / stretch images viewing as cable network frequency which is distrubted to different homes for viewing..

I hope I have made myself clear on above .. Please help with your comments . If its worth to go for this jump of SONY KLV- 40W550A..??

Look forward towards respective response..
Thanks in advance

Rgds / Raks

This model is good.

But when i auditioned the TV was playing HD source. So am not sure how it would be with your normal cable signal. need less to say it would be bad.

The normal cable signal was bad even with my CRT. Now i have moved to Hathway STB and it's Ok now.

If you are going to invest so much on this TV, then I would advice you to spend 3k more and go for DTH.

Thanks,
Prakash.

well even if u do go for a DTH ,the picture will still be in 4:3 so u will get blacks bars at the sides,u can however strech the image,but content which was orginaly shot in 4:3 will look streched,on the other hand the content shot in widescreen format will look the way its supposed to look when u press strech button.no doubt DTH offers better quality.
channels like WB and UTV world movies show the content in the orginal format,the DTH providers will shrink it back to 4:3 but ur tv will strech it back to the orginal 16:9 format(manualy).movies that have black bars at the bottom and top are shot in widescreen format,so those movies will look normal when streched.

regarding the sony W550A ,well it is good but at the same time it is very expensive,compared to samsung models ,but sonys are better for gaming due to the consistently lesser input lag.thanks to the bravia engine.also they give less glare compared to closest rival the samsung B650.
the sony will be cheaper if u buy them in the grey market.
u can get a sony KLV-40Z450A for around 95k in the grey market.which is around 50k cheaper then showroom.

Dear All - I have been browsing and checking out comments on every FORUMS of Television. It seems all experts are out in this forum . So decided to check out on expertise comments on Follows

Im planing to purchase SONY KLV- 40W550A for daily use of watching Cable , gaming mode using PS2 & watching some times DVD movies. Well main point I would like to high light and need your expertise comment is that im using Local cable network for viewing TV and this is been forwarded by local cable guy in our area.There is no set up box at my end. So will I get good view & clear pictures on KLV- 40W550A for viewing cable or will there be blured / stretch images viewing as cable network frequency which is distrubted to different homes for viewing..

I hope I have made myself clear on above .. Please help with your comments . If its worth to go for this jump of SONY KLV- 40W550A..??

Look forward towards respective response..
Thanks in advance

Rgds / Raks

What is your budget? Are you stretching your budget to get this TV?
See with most Full HD TVs - using it mainly for local cable TV is a loss. You can appreciate a full HD Tv through a BD player or at least an upscaling DVD player. Usually most cables and DTH (i see you are from Bahrain) transmit at around or less than 480p at 4:3 format whereas the TV is 16:9 at 1080p so all images would appear stretched, hazy, with black bars at top and bottom. If Tv viewing is you main usage and you have SD quality cable reception - you can go with an HD ready TV. (save you money and put in an a fixed deposit for 2 years - buy a new full HD TV later).

If you are bent on taking a full HD TV go with an V series.

Thanks Suprateep / Adder / Prakasse on your expert comments . I highly appreciate it !!
Well , Im from middle east country ..but an Indian . IN our part of island - Bahrain there is no DTH support or TATA SKY /DISH facilites. So only options for TV viewing is to opt to cable operator.
Well the best part is that the rates for W550A in Bahrain is only 70,000K. Do you think its killer offer to purchase it ...??Its been a long hunt waiting to buy a LCD .

So shud I go now for W550A or luk forward the lesser version i.e HD ready in order to get better SD quality cable view?? Is it advisable to attache HDMI cables to cable operaters junction cable and connect it to my LCD will that improve the picture quality..?

Please advise.. Really in a dilemma ..:eek:

Thanks Suprateep / Adder / Prakasse on your expert comments . I highly appreciate it !!
Well , Im from middle east country ..but an Indian . IN our part of island - Bahrain there is no DTH support or TATA SKY /DISH facilites. So only options for TV viewing is to opt to cable operator.
Well the best part is that the rates for W550A in Bahrain is only 70,000K. Do you think its killer offer to purchase it ...??Its been a long hunt waiting to buy a LCD .

So shud I go now for W550A or luk forward the lesser version i.e HD ready in order to get better SD quality cable view?? Is it advisable to attache HDMI cables to cable operaters junction cable and connect it to my LCD will that improve the picture quality..?

Please advise.. Really in a dilemma ..:eek:

is the sony w available for 70k INR in comparable currency??

You can try the Sony V series thats full HD that will serve your purpose and give you a full HD tv as well.

If PQ is a concern and money is not - the pioneer plasma HD ready TVs is the best.

You can use an HDMI cable from a ps3, upscalign DVD player, BD player - using a local cable point and using a HDMI connector will not help in PQ for the cable conversion. HDMI is a technology to carry high bandwidth audio and video data thats it.

well at 70k it is cheap,well the cheaper version if V series it lacks the motion flow 100hz which is good for fast action videos.

YES Its 70.000 Indian Rupees for 40W550A !!! Moreover Its direct from SONY DEALER Un believable na?? Do you guys want the piece of this machine at your end at ths price ..Should I sent it across to India via Cargo ;-))

YES 'V ' Series lacks 100motion flow .Moreover I checked with the options with sony sales guy and he said that USB for V series wont play all Videos & musics . BUt W Series is compatiable and shall play all files.. I dont knw how much is this fact true..

Well im still stuck to W550A to buy it . I heard the WE5 shall also arrive soon and it shl be costing 76K . What do u think is W550A or WE5 ..which is the best . Has We5 arrived in INDIA..??

YES Its 70.000 Indian Rupees for 40W550A !!! Moreover Its direct from SONY DEALER Un believable na?? Do you guys want the piece of this machine at your end at ths price ..Should I sent it across to India via Cargo ;-))

YES 'V ' Series lacks 100motion flow .Moreover I checked with the options with sony sales guy and he said that USB for V series wont play all Videos & musics . BUt W Series is compatiable and shall play all files.. I dont knw how much is this fact true..

Well im still stuck to W550A to buy it . I heard the WE5 shall also arrive soon and it shl be costing 76K . What do u think is W550A or WE5 ..which is the best . Has We5 arrived in INDIA..??

well AFAIK the sony lcds can only play mpeg 1 and mpeg2 videos via USB.
WE5 is good too if u want a save power consumption,consumes very less close to LED lcd tvs.WE5 isn't yet available india.should be available in the grey by now.
sony says they are making a loss in lcd tvs, but i bet they are making profit in india.

Last edited:
don't assume taht 100hz is a great thing though, have a look at it and see if you like it, it gives the picture a different sort of look...i don't know how to describe it, so have a look and see if you are happy viewing pictures in 100hz, and whether you think it's worth the extra money.

SONY KLV- 40W550A

For Cable and PS2 gaming, a 29 inch CRT is best. The 40W550A has an input lag (even with game mode on) due to the 100hz motion enhancer feature. This is present on all the LCDs with the 100hz motion.which is bad for gaming on PS3 and Xbox. Using it with a ps2 will cause a greater lag due to upscaling 480/576 signal.

The 40V550A will be better suited for gaming ( In game mode no input lag) but cable will still be a problem. Best to go in for a Panasonic HD ready Plasma for your needs ( Better with Cable,DVD,Bluray and no input lag)

W550 reviews:

Sony KDL-32W5500 LCD HDTV Review at AVForums.com

Sony KDL40W5500 Review: 40" Bravia 100Hz 1080p LCD HDTV

SONY KLV- 40W550A

For Cable and PS2 gaming, a 29 inch CRT is best. The 40W550A has an input lag (even with game mode on) due to the 100hz motion enhancer feature. This is present on all the LCDs with the 100hz motion.which is bad for gaming on PS3 and Xbox. Using it with a ps2 will cause a greater lag due to upscaling 480/576 signal.

The 40V550A will be better suited for gaming ( In game mode no input lag) but cable will still be a problem. Best to go in for a Panasonic HD ready Plasma for your needs ( Better with Cable,DVD,Bluray and no input lag)

W550 reviews:

Sony KDL-32W5500 LCD HDTV Review at AVForums.com

Sony KDL40W5500 Review: 40" Bravia 100Hz 1080p LCD HDTV

u can always switch off the 100hz for gaming.the V550A still has input lag,i don't think it will be 0ms.

u can always switch off the 100hz for gaming.the V550A still has input lag,i don't think it will be 0ms.

yes only the newer technology oled i guess have a response time close to 0ms - if money is not an issue can we have a pioneer kuro - IMHO the best TV money can buy.:clapping:

HI Adder - is it for sure there is an option for switching off 100motion flow for gaming and there wont be any input lag or response delay..?? Is this feature available on W550A

Hi Plasmoid - Now this may sound funny ..but im not that well versed . So please advise in brief what is CRT TV ..?? Im aware on the new techs i.e LCD ,plasma, projections &LED's . what is this stuff buddy..??

HI Adder - is it for sure there is an option for switching off 100motion flow for gaming and there wont be any input lag or response delay..?? Is this feature available on W550A

Hi Plasmoid - Now this may sound funny ..but im not that well versed . So please advise in brief what is CRT TV ..?? Im aware on the new techs i.e LCD ,plasma, projections &LED's . what is this stuff buddy..??

The good old tube television

LCD TVs without a 100hz system typically react quicker to input commands, because they don't have to generate motion vector information and new inbetween frames before sending video to the LCD panel. (Even in 100hz TVs which let you turn this process off, a delay is still often involved.
_ David Mackenzie, Av forums Hardware reviewer

100hz is automatically turned off when game mode is on. A friend of mine tried playing guitar hero (ps3) on both V550 and W550 and found there was a sizable difference in input lag.yeah you're right all lcds have input lag but the less the better.

Last edited:
well there will be a slighty delay even after switching off 100hz which in game mode it is disabled automaticaly.the input lag in game mode is on par with most lcd monitors which plenty of people do gaming with,so it won't be a issue.

LCD TVs without a 100hz system typically react quicker to input commands, because they don't have to generate motion vector information and new inbetween frames before sending video to the LCD panel. (Even in 100hz TVs which let you turn this process off, a delay is still often involved.
_ David Mackenzie, Av forums Hardware reviewer

100hz is automatically turned off when game mode is on. A friend of mine tried playing guitar hero (ps3) on both V550 and W550 and found there was a sizable difference in input lag.yeah you're right all lcds have input lag but the less the better.

well may be for some other brands,but bravia engine and motionflow circuits of sony are much better then rival 100hz tech.in fact if u look at the sony models such as Z450A which has the 200hz still can give one of the lowest input lag in lcds,in game mode,so is the older W450A series which has 100hz all have input lag on par/exact input lag as the V400A model which doesn't have 100hz.

now regarding ur friends observations ,well i can't comment on that but i can tell u that different panels have different input lag,the SPVA panels have the highest input lag followed by the AMVA panel,these are 2 panel tech are used by sony.

Hi All - Just wanted to clarify if 32 W550A uses AMVA or SPVA Panels..??Howz the PQ on SD..?
Has one got an hand on 32W550A ? Howz the performance..? Is it true that this model has bleeding / clouding issues..??

Just confused - should I go for 40" or 32" with W550A . Which one would be better to plunge in...

PLZ Advise with expert comments and experiences...

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back