Need some suggestions for NAS

Oh Ok, I thought you meant a 100 bay enclosure, I've seen about 50 bays but never seen a 100 bay one. I know about the daisy chain/slave route but not interested in those.

Thanks for clarifying.

I finally went with Synology 220+ and using it for past couple of months.
The hardware is nothing to write home about... but the OS and Software is just phenomenal and makes it a pleasure to use!!
Especially after using WD NAS for years...

I like tinkering and I was thinking of DIY solutions for better VFM and have 'fun' with the project - but I am glad I didn't do it.

hi,
if nas is for just media consumption just go for budget ones if u still need to use for other work/pc related functions combined as many suggested u can go for truenas/zfs storage route but keep in mind under power consumption consideration , iam using a basic wd 2tbay nas its just setup and forget, i occasionally use its transmission app for download and using it as a media library for my plex server which is running on a shield pro
WD My Cloud?
I bought My Cloud Home with an intention to download the data off transmission (running on Nvidia Shield) but alas! My Cloud Home doesn't support this scenario.

WD My Cloud?
I bought My Cloud Home with an intention to download the data off transmission (running on Nvidia Shield) but alas! My Cloud Home doesn't support this scenario.
Hi,
What model you are using in WD MY CLOUD??
iam using my nas as a network drive for shield and also running transmission on wd my cloud without any issue.
iam not sure about running on transmission on shield ,hope i understood correctly.

After trying to build a DIY NAS for 2 weeks and breaking my head over software issues, finally picked up Synology 220+ . The offline price is cheaper. Also picked up 4 GB of RAM since RAM can be upgraded from 2GB to 6 GB. Havent installed additional RAM yet since never felt the need. Playing movies from PLEX is such a joy- photo back up seamless...wish had taken the plunge much earlier.

Hi,
What model you are using in WD MY CLOUD??
iam using my nas as a network drive for shield and also running transmission on wd my cloud without any issue.
iam not sure about running on transmission on shield ,hope i understood correctly.
WD MY CLOUD HOME :-(
Probably WD My Cloud does support NAS functions and Shield see it as a network storage.
with WD MY CLOUD "Home", its not possible to do that... unless recently there has been some hack to it.

Recently purchased new laptop, so converted my desktop to server.
Server is using Proxmox hypervisor with 4 TB ZFS mirrior, will provide following services
  • NAS Server
  • Logitech Media Server
  • Plex Server
  • and much more...

Recently purchased new laptop, so converted my desktop to server.
Server is using Proxmox hypervisor with 4 TB ZFS mirrior, will provide following services
  • NAS Server
  • Logitech Media Server
  • Plex Server
  • and much more...
Are you able to connect to NAS from outside home network ?

WD MY CLOUD HOME :-(
Probably WD My Cloud does support NAS functions and Shield see it as a network storage.
with WD MY CLOUD "Home", its not possible to do that... unless recently there has been some hack to it.
I think it should work.
Since its a nas it should directly connect with shield by giving it local ip address, make sure to create a local full access user in the web ui of WD MY CLOUD HOME. glad to look into it directly if u need further help :)

I think it should work.
Since its a nas it should directly connect with shield by giving it local ip address, make sure to create a local full access user in the web ui of WD MY CLOUD HOME. glad to look into it directly if u need further help :)
Thanks, I will give it a try again then :)

Transmission must show the option to set Download Folder to some folder on "WD My Cloud Home", is that correct?
While Shield as an authorised devise should have full access to WD?

To Connect Outside from home it needs to be configured, possible via multiple ways
public static ip (less secure)
vpn (more secure)
I could never crack it with port forwarding, pivpn etc. Hence finally bit the bullet and went with Synology.

I think it should work.

TLDR; From the article:

If you're expecting any NAS or network appliance functionality, you can forget about it. You can't even set a static IP address for this device. For some reason, devices plugged into the My Cloud Home's USB port are not mounted as network resources. You're given the option to import content from them but not the other way around - and bizarrely, this can only be done through the mobile apps. There's no FTP or SSH access, no downtime schedule to save power, no per-user permissions, and perhaps worst of all, no easy way to either back up the contents of this drive or use it as a target for third-party backup software

IIRC there are ways around it but need to jump through a lot of hoops and even then the new WD MyCloud Home (as opposed to the older WD myCloud Home which were NAS devices) is painfully slow to use it as a NAS with the workarounds.

From the same article, here's how. I recall it was so slow this way that I just shucked the thing:

At this point we should note that there are two exceptions to the app-only access restrictions. If you want to use Time Machine for backups on a Mac, a standard network share will be created because that's how Time Machine works and it's too popular to not support.Secondly, one folder called Public is permanently exposed as a standard network share. We used a free network scanning tool to discover the My Cloud Home's IP address, and were able to mount the Public folder manually both in Windows and in macOS. This folder is visible to everyone on your network - there is no way to assign permissions - which means that anyone can see and even delete its contents without a password. This lets it work with the Windows Backup and Restore tool.

The Public folder is also for some reason hidden from all the apps, and even the virtual Z: drive in Windows Explorer. There's no storage quota and no security, and the apps can't show you how much space its contents are occupying, all of which make it a poor backup destination. At least it's a standard network share which could come in handy - and yes, it worked just fine without an Internet connection, exactly as it's supposed to. We just wish we could create more folders and manage permissions, bypassing the apps altogether. Clearly, since WD allowed these two exceptions, it could have gone all the way.

Last edited:
Honestly, just get a Synology unit and be done with it. I've been using them for over 10 years and they are super reliable (with raid and backups) and can run about any application you could think of.
On top of it, they are very efficient with energy, and can be accessed remotely - I do it all the time. You an run either a VPN server on it that you can connect to and be in the same network, or can forward ports to access some apps and data etc. Its much more reliable and robust than a WD myCloud.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back