Need Suggestion for Professional HT Designer in Delhi NCR

sam9s

Ok Guys, I am not sure if anybody noticed, but I mentioned in couple of threads that I will soon be buying an apartment with a dedicated HT room. Well I have dropped the idea for an apartment and have instead opted to go for a plot and built my House with a dedicated basement as an HT. Now I have been reading threads from this forum like a plague and I see that most of the HT setup that has been done might sound good but does not "look" 'appeal" quality in the all aesthetic sense. What I need to know is...........are there people, professional designers, dealers who can provide an end-to-end solution for a decent HT design, when I say design it does not only mean aesthetically but acoustically as well with all sound proofing, proper equipment placement, perfect cable management, diffused lighting most of all it should be an end to end solution right from scratch to the completion. All I would give him would be a ready layout basement plan with dimensions and the equipment (will open another thread for the same.)

I have talked to couple of HT Solution providers, and I was kinda not "very" impressed. The one that did impress me was located in Tamil nadu :rolleyes:
His company name is Sound Wizard He was pretty courteous in talking and knew exactly what is been talked about, he said he can provide all solutions by there itself and would send his team to do all his work. I am sure is that would be right approch though his projects does look pretty cool.

The other one is located in Delhi itself. Its called ARN Systems though the lady I talked was not at all impressive but she made me sure that I would be getting the top notch solution.(As if others wont) anyway I could not see any projects snaps on their site but she said she would be mailing me the details. I would share the information with you as and when I recieve.

Anyway if all the guns here can suggest or have any idea about professionals I can hire for my setup. kinldy provide me the details, so that I can start building up with the basic plan layout I have. So guys let shoot with some suggestions......

Last edited:
Sam:

Let us know your budget and little basic details and we shall take it from there.

Cheers!

Sam:

Let us know your budget and little basic details and we shall take it from there.

Cheers!

Well the complete budget including EVERYTHING (A to Z) for my HT Including Basement construction should not cross 10.5L-12L, with a basic break up as follows.

1. 3L for Equipment including cables
2. 2L for Developing the Room acoustics which should include room soundproofing with Base Traps etc.
3. 1.5-2L for Esthatically designing the room which would include, lighting, woodwork, carpetting and things like that
4. Rest 4-5L is for developing the basic frame work (construction of the basement), which includes getting the walls (Drywall if possible) and the roof up, the architectural cost, flooring for the other two rooms (basically would divide the entire basement in to 3 rooms.......)etc.

we can change the budget breakup according to the expert suggestions from people here as we as the proessional I plan to hire..........

I am also in the process of making a HT room in my new house.

3L on equipment is also my budget
a. AVR for 50K (Marantz 6004, Denon 2310, Pioneer LX52)
b. 5.1 Speakers for 100k (Quad, MS Mezzo, PSB Image, KEF)
c. Source BD player, STB, WDTV - 30k
d. Projector and screen - 100k (Panasonic AX200, Sanyo Z700)
e. Cables - 20k

I feel that 2. & 3. should be tackled together. B4 spending that much on room acoustics I would look at upgrading display to Full HD.

What is size of HT room and basement?

Raghav

Well the complete budget including EVERYTHING (A to Z) for my HT Including Basement construction should not cross 10.5L-12L, with a basic break up as follows.

1. 3L for Equipment including cables
2. 2L for Developing the Room acoustics which should include room soundproofing with Base Traps etc.
3. 1.5-2L for Esthatically designing the room which would include, lighting, woodwork, carpetting and things like that
4. Rest 4-5L is for developing the basic frame work (construction of the basement), which includes getting the walls (Drywall if possible) and the roof up, the architectural cost, flooring for the other two rooms (basically would divide the entire basement in to 3 rooms.......)etc.

we can change the budget breakup according to the expert suggestions from people here as we as the proessional I plan to hire..........

since you have a decent budget i would suggest you get in touch with the people who themselves have excellent demo studios..
Since you are based in Delhi, 2 that immediate come to mind are:
1) Sight & Sound India, Okhla - contact Rajan/Tanuj - they provide end to end HT solution.
2) FX Entertainment,CR Park - contact Shane, he has just built a really decent studio with excellent acoustics.

where are you making a basement in delhi? I think basements are not getting approved anymore. Not certain, but I heard it from someone.
Anyways, curious - which part of ncr?

since you have a decent budget i would suggest you get in touch with the people who themselves have excellent demo studios..
Since you are based in Delhi, 2 that immediate come to mind are:
1) Sight & Sound India, Okhla - contact Rajan/Tanuj - they provide end to end HT solution.
2) FX Entertainment,CR Park - contact Shane, he has just built a really decent studio with excellent acoustics.

Now thats some suggestion, I will definately get in touch with them. Also most of there designers only built the interiors, who should I contact to actually built my basement as well per my requirments (HT), that is a tough call, since Basements are rare in India.

where are you making a basement in delhi? I think basements are not getting approved anymore. Not certain, but I heard it from someone.
Anyways, curious - which part of ncr?

I am in Ghaziabad, and I didnt know that basements are banned, I saw couple of basements in Gurgaon, beautifully built, not sure about Delhi, though there are lots of shops in Delhi that are in Basement, I will enquire about my place as well, mean time if anybody has any idea on this subject, shead some light on this....

Now thats some suggestion, I will definately get in touch with them. Also most of there designers only built the interiors, who should I contact to actually built my basement as well per my requirments (HT), that is a tough call, since Basements are rare in India.

Sam, it is going to be difficult to get suggestions here related to building the basement. Here, you can get great advice related to acoustics, equipment etc. Nonetheless, lets hope that some member might have something to offer in this regard.

Your HT project shall be done in three parts:
a) Building
b) Interiors & Acoustics
c) Equipment

I am going to PM you contact details of my acoustic consultant in Mumbai. Have a word with him. He is an acoustic consultant in the first place but he might have some input on the interiors and building front as well.

As mentioned by Jayad, speak to Shane or Tutu in Fx Entertainment. Go and have a look at their demo room.He can provide good suggestions as he recently re-built his demo room. I still have to see his room but I have heard a lot about it.
Shane: 98104 999 42
Tutu: 9818 666 077- sales rep
You may give them my reference - Sumit from Meerut.

Its a long road ahead for you as you have to start from building your house first. We here shall help you get the HT of your dreams!!

Sumit

Hi Sam,
I am also making a dedicated theatre in my basement. I had started with the same idea as yours of taking a plot and then constructing a house rather than ending up in an appartment, and here in Faridabad where I am building my house the plans are all santioned from HUDA so illegality is out of the question, unless and untill you are planning to raise the height of the basement which would eventually increase the height of your total construction and there you might end up having a problem with authority.

I took the approach in the following manner:
When the initial house planning was done at that stage I approached my Architect and told him about my intentions of having a dedicated area for a theatre in the basement to which he warned me about the costs of construction which is almost 1.5 times and sometimes 2 times the cost of constructing the ground floor and this is due to the fact that our area lies in the High Siesmic Zone so we have to put in more of steel to support the entire structure.This is one area which you should consider and approach an Architect and tell him your intentions.
In the second phase you have to consider the cost of aucoustic treatment done in the room and with your approach towards more into designer stuff its comes around 400-600 SQ Ft.
Third comes your Equipment wherein you have to consider the size of your room so if a room is on the larger side then you will have to spend more on your system to completely fill your room with sound.
If you wana discuss my approach further then pm me for my contact info, and we could discuss the matter over the phone.

Last edited:
You can give a call to Jignesh +91-9825133320.I would highly recommend him He is based in Surat in Gujarat but he does projects all over India. He is THX level 2 & Home Acoustic Alliance trained & certified installer.
All the best.
Cheers

Last edited:
Sam, it is going to be difficult to get suggestions here related to building the basement. Here, you can get great advice related to acoustics, equipment etc. Nonetheless, lets hope that some member might have something to offer in this regard.

Your HT project shall be done in three parts:
a) Building
b) Interiors & Acoustics
c) Equipment

I am going to PM you contact details of my acoustic consultant in Mumbai. Have a word with him. He is an acoustic consultant in the first place but he might have some input on the interiors and building front as well.

As mentioned by Jayad, speak to Shane or Tutu in Fx Entertainment. Go and have a look at their demo room.He can provide good suggestions as he recently re-built his demo room. I still have to see his room but I have heard a lot about it.
Shane: 98104 999 42
Tutu: 9818 666 077- sales rep
You may give them my reference - Sumit from Meerut.

Its a long road ahead for you as you have to start from building your house first. We here shall help you get the HT of your dreams!!

Sumit

well would'nt building the basement be a part of the very first step of building the HT itself.... I mean correct me here, do we soundproof a room that is already built with the usual Brick and cement, or do we inherently use a sound proofing material to construct the walls right from the beginning.

If it the former case then I can go with any contractor and get the framework done and build up the basement (and do the acoustics later), but in the later case wont I need the expertise advice from an acoustic expert right from the day I start building the foundation.
I will anyhow give a call to your guy and see what he has to advice.....thanks for the details :)

And yes it is a long road.....min 6 months just for the basement I presume....but the project is big as well and I seriously hope people here would be with their suggestions and opinions through out my project tenure....

Hi Sam,
I am also making a dedicated theatre in my basement. I had started with the same idea as yours of taking a plot and then constructing a house rather than ending up in an appartment, and here in Faridabad where I am building my house the plans are all santioned from HUDA so illegality is out of the question, unless and untill you are planning to raise the height of the basement which would eventually increase the height of your total construction and there you might end up having a problem with authority.

I took the approach in the following manner:
When the initial house planning was done at that stage I approached my Architect and told him about my intentions of having a dedicated area for a theatre in the basement to which he warned me about the costs of construction which is almost 1.5 times and sometimes 2 times the cost of constructing the ground floor and this is due to the fact that our area lies in the High Siesmic Zone so we have to put in more of steel to support the entire structure.This is one area which you should consider and approach an Architect and tell him your intentions.
In the second phase you have to consider the cost of aucoustic treatment done in the room and with your approach towards more into designer stuff its comes around 400-600 SQ Ft.
Third comes your Equipment wherein you have to consider the size of your room so if a room is on the larger side then you will have to spend more on your system to completely fill your room with sound.
If you wana discuss my approach further then pm me for my contact info, and we could discuss the matter over the phone.

wow its nice to have someone that is on the same league as mine for his HT project. At what stage is your project right now, can you share some pics and more details about how you went through creating your basement, or the thread where you have discussed about your project.

ok coming to he points you have mentioned.....I am not sure if Ghaziabad falls under High Siesmic zone, but I can hardly deviate from the budget which is like 12L. Anyway as you said need to get in touch with the architect.

Ok coming to the second point...... where you have quoted the price of about 400-600 Sqf, is this cost just for acoustic treatment or includes the designing as well, plus is this mark an upper limit or a lower limit.

Third point about the equipment, I am designing the basic layout by myself and would soon come out with a first draft to share with. that would give people here a better idea about what kind of equipment would suffice......However the complete size of my plot is around 1500 Sqf if that can give you a very basic idea, and sure we can discuses on phone as well, but I would also request to share your knowledge here as on forums all members can view and share their input as well. I will PM you my number or you do yours, either way I will call you to discuses.....

Again Nice to have your inputs plus from all other members here as well, I think I am at the right place.. :)

wow its nice to have someone that is on the same league as mine for his HT project. At what stage is your project right now, can you share some pics and more details about how you went through creating your basement, or the thread where you have discussed about your project.

In my case the structure is complete with the conduits laid out on the floor as well as the celings. The total area is around 30ft x 25ft. Here you have the point of pre discussion with the knowledgeble people about HT as you should know the placement of your speakers so that the conduits could be laid out properly. I haven't discussed about it in this forum yet but I had the required know how about what I was doing since I already had a full blown 5.1 HT setup with me for quite some time. I had an argument with my Parents about the basement thing as it was exceeding out budget for the entire project but at the end we went with it and its another 6 months from the reality.

ok coming to he points you have mentioned.....I am not sure if Ghaziabad falls under High Siesmic zone, but I can hardly deviate from the budget which is like 12L. Anyway as you said need to get in touch with the architect. Ok coming to the second point...... where you have quoted the price of about 400-600 Sqf, is this cost just for acoustic treatment or includes the designing as well, plus is this mark an upper limit or a lower limit.

Delhi and NCR falls under the high siesmic zone and your Architect would confirm this to you, about the budget too confirm it from your architech as the cost of Construction falls around 450-500 SQ Ft + Finishing is as per your requirement and falls around 600 - 800 Sq Ft. For the basement multiply the construction cost by 1.5 times and then add around the same cost of 450 - 600 SQ ft for accoustically treating the room which includes your fittings, wires, Fabric and here the cost varies with the fabric material you choose.

Third point about the equipment, I am designing the basic layout by myself and would soon come out with a first draft to share with. that would give people here a better idea about what kind of equipment would suffice......However the complete size of my plot is around 1500 Sqf if that can give you a very basic idea, and sure we can discuses on phone as well, but I would also request to share your knowledge here as on forums all members can view and share their input as well. I will PM you my number or you do yours, either way I will call you to discuses.....

If the complete area of your plot is 1500 SQ Ft then as per the buliding by laws if we take its 60% construction into account which would mean around 900 Sqft and out of this you want 3 rooms then I believe that your HT would fall around 450Sq Ft which is a pretty decent size for a medium setup, so now as per the above calculations the cost of construction for your Ht room would be around 270K and for accoustically treating it around 200K which leaves us around 700K to play with the seatings as well as your setup.

About the equipment I also started with a basic setup which was insufficient for the size of my new project so I went into upgrading spree even before the start of my project and as of now almost finished with it.

off topic - has anyone constructed/ planned/ thought of making a small pool in the basement/ ground floor?

regards
Anant

Its true everywhere that basement can be built legally and illegally. In india, basement is considered legal only for parking w/o any closed sides. It becomes illegal if it is shown as parking space and used for some other purpose by closing / raising the walls. If it is shown in the approved plan as a normal room, it will always be legal, only thing is that the guidelines like FAR, setback rules calculations these rooms will also be considered, otherwise it will not be considered as a floor. Thats how the Ground + 3 Floor with parking apartment concept came, eventhough the parking is done on the ground level. All together 5 floors will be there, but it is considered as 4 floor building: parking at the ground level (wont be counted as a floor), Ground (actual 1st floor) + 3 floors.

Ok Guys time for an update and thanks for all the inputs, specially ashish. To add the plot has been finalized now and I can give you the exact dimensions. The total area for the plot is 125 SQ Meter, with 15.3 meter length (or depth) and 8.2 Meter breadth. In feets this comes to about 27 f X 50 f with area being 1350 SQf.

Now coming to how much we can construct upon.... is just a matter of tipping the GDA with some bucks and you can use all the land what you want. Any way I wont be doing that, I have prepared a floor plan for my basement and following are the dimensions I have thought for the complete basement and the HT. Suggestions welcome. Will be sharing the floor plan as well probably in a new thread when actual planning is laid out professionally.

Total Area for Basement = 27 f X 35 f = 945 SQf
HT Area = 20 f X 14 f = 280 SQf
Study room = 13 f X 13 f = 169 SQf
Break Out area = 11 f X 13 f = 143 SQf
Toilet = 9 f X 6 f = 54 SQf

The study room and the HT wall would be common so if you think HT breadth is not sufficient, we can increast the width of HT by a foot so that it can be 20x15 and the room can be 12 x 13.

What I need from you people is what should be the optimum size for an HT with something like a 47" LCD and a QAcoustics 1010i 5.1 system. Reason for asking is that I can change my floor plan if the equipment is an overkill or an underkill for my HT dimensions. Also if you think that I should change the equipment and not the dimensions, suggestions are welcomed for that as well. My budget for my equipment is 2-2.1L.

@Ashish I have finalized my architect as well, practicing in Gurgaon, he is a known acquaintance through my very close friend. Talked to him about few details, specially about the cost. Now since I am planning to include a breakout cum bar area and a small bedroom as well, have increased the budget to 15L. he said the cost should not exceed 1000-1100 rs / sqf at the max for construction and finishing of the entire basement. Which come to 945x1100=1039500..... add misc and round it to 11L, which leaves me with 4 L for acoustic treatment. With 2L gone for equipment I will be left with 2L for the acoustics. Considering the finishing cost is included in that 11L figure, is 2L sufficient for Acoustics, designing, cabling etc which the HT professional would do....???

People suggestions how you think the allocation of the budget should be.

Need suggestions from all experts here before I sit with my architect to finalize the floor plan.

After reading your post I think that you should increase the size of your Ht room a little and try keeping it close to my estimate. For a 47" Screen the Optimal distance should be around 12 ft anything less would decrease the viewing pleasure. About your budget I think that 2 Lacs is a good budget for Acoustics as well as wiring, considering the size of your room also the equipment which you have chosen is good.

After reading your post I think that you should increase the size of your Ht room a little and try keeping it close to my estimate. For a 47" Screen the Optimal distance should be around 12 ft anything less would decrease the viewing pleasure. About your budget I think that 2 Lacs is a good budget for Acoustics as well as wiring, considering the size of your room also the equipment which you have chosen is good.

mmm It would be tough to keep at your suggested dimensions, but when you will see my floor plan the entire length of the room i.e 35 feet can be used as HT length but breadth can only be increased by an inch or two. I will keep the seating space some where at 20-22' of the room length and keep the rest space for general seating which would have that small Bar and open connectivity to the breakout area. I am not putting up a wall or any separator to keep my HT and this general seating area separate, but the rear speakers would be placed somewhere at 20-22 feet mark. So taking 22' as the max length and 16' as the breadth the max area I can drill out would be 352 Sqf, which should be ok I guess. Also if 12' is the min distance with a 47" LCD we still have around 10 feet to place 2 rows of seating which again I thing should be pretty sufficient.

And about the Equipment I have not yes finalized but the spks would be in the line of QAcoustics or better with the range of 50-70K

Just curious, why a 47 inch TV? Why not a full HD projector and a large screen... 120 inch maybe. You could have both a TV and a projector by using a "Flat Panel TV Lift" or by installing the Projector Screen in front of the TV. When my HT was "Work in Progress", several Members recommended that a Projector would make a huge difference and trust me... it did.

Also, no need to worry about electronics now itself. Buy them when the room is ready or nearing completion. This way you benefit from newer models, lesser prices and usable warranty.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back