Need suggestion on AVR

With the way AVRs are failing and poor after sales provided by Yamaha and Denon , either of which don't have a proper after sales and mostly a import er based sales & service it's very wise to go for Onkyo since they are seriously here and Headquarted as Onkyo India. That earns a lot of faith.

I certainly have not heard about any after sales issue from Yamaha in India

Onkyo was good till it got a bad press with hdmi board issues last few years. I'm not sure if that has improved with their newer models. But yamaha has a good service centre in bangalore though it's not owned by yamaha the center does cater to all types of issues

Hello Forum Members

Which brand / model of AVR would be suitable to drive my Jamo C 809 front tower speakers ? The AVR should support DOLBY ATMOS. Based on your suggestion I will take an audition before the final purchase. The speaker specs are as below.

System Type: 3-way bassreflex
Impedance : 6
Tweeter (mm/in) : 25 / 1 DTT
Woofer (mm/in) : 2 x 180 / 7
Frequency Response (Hz, +/-3dB) : 30 - 24,000
Power Handling (Watts Long/Short Term) : 200 / 400
Sensitivity (dB, 2.8V/1m) : 89
Midrange (mm/in) : 180 / 7

Thanks in advance.

Need one suggestion. Will this receiver, Marantz NR1508, work with the above pair of floorstanders, Jamo C 809 ? What I mean is will this AVR be under powered or over powered in driving the Jamo Spaeakers?

Need one suggestion. Will this receiver, Marantz NR1508, work with the above pair of floorstanders, Jamo C 809 ? What I mean is will this AVR be under powered or over powered in driving the Jamo Spaeakers?
It will be underpowered. You should look at Marantz SR series 5012/6012 to drive those. And 1508 doesn't have Dolby atmos as per your requirement.

BTW, are you driving them currently with another amp? Or are you sitting with those speakers for >1 yr? Just curious.

With the way AVRs are failing and poor after sales provided by Yamaha and Denon , either of which don't have a proper after sales and mostly a import er based sales & service it's very wise to go for Onkyo since they are seriously here and Headquarted as Onkyo India. That earns a lot of faith.

Out of all, YAMAHA is one of the reliable brands WRT HDMI board problems and they have service centers across the city.

Considering "Protection Mode" circuit in place for every AVR, the problem that occurs in them would be less. I vouch for Yamaha since I have been using it without any issue so far.

It will be underpowered. You should look at Marantz SR series 5012/6012 to drive those. And 1508 doesn't have Dolby atmos as per your requirement.

BTW, are you driving them currently with another amp? Or are you sitting with those speakers for >1 yr? Just curious.

Your question is very valid Dr... Currently I'm using these speakers with my Marantz PM-15 S2, reference series stereo amp.

Your question is very valid Dr... Currently I'm using these speakers with my Marantz PM-15 S2, reference series stereo amp.
Ok, so now you want to move to multichannel setup. But to match the current amp, your AVR should be from higher range, like Marantz SR series, Yamaha Aventage or Denon x3400 onwards. Lower models would not be able to match the sound of your current amp.

Thump is a very imp factor in music and mid range for movies especially, both are very well defined in high end AVR's , Suggest u look out for Marantz, Yamaha (aventage) or Pioneer top of line amps.
Going for basic AVR is waste of monies , as mentioned by FM's (efernand), look out.... for preowned if budget not permitting.

I agree to what you all are saying. There is another point which is very important to me. That is of aesthetics. Some of you can call it to be silly of me but aesthetics matter to me much more than SQ. Although I paid a huge amount when I bought the stereo amp & speakers now I don't even have an urge or time to turn it on. From almost playing daily, when it was new, to now switching it on once or twice a month. It is now taking space in my living room. Coming back to the aesthetics part, the Marantz model which I'm interested in, even though it is low in power, is due to it's slim size. There is another model, Marantz NR 1608. Just check the pics of this model on google. It is very slim and doesn't look like the big fat high end models from Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer etc. I'm even thinking of ditching the AVR & go for a sound bar instead. The one in my mind is from Yamaha, YSP 5600. Connect a good active subwoofer from among the likes of SVS or Sunfire. I hope I'm able to make myself clear. I have tried to clearly write what ever is there in my mind. Can I have some comments from the members on
1. Marantz NR 1608 AVR to be paired with my Jamo C809 along with surround,center,height speakers & Subwoofer
2. Yamaha YSP 5600 soundbar with an active sub woofer

the Marantz NR series are not meant for FS speakers, they are for satellite speakers. If you crank the volume high it might lead to clipping & damage your FS speakers.

Cheers.

the Marantz NR series are not meant for FS speakers, they are for satellite speakers. If you crank the volume high it might lead to clipping & damage your FS speakers.

Cheers.
I dont agree with that, my 1608 easily and efficiently drives with boston a360 fs speakers ,some of the FM here mentioned that NR series easily drives dali senzor 7 speakers ... Even its power only 50w in paper but it actually feels as 100w.. without any lack of power, and its fillout with good quality sound in medium size rooms..

Last edited:
+1 to sunana777.

Have been using 1607 for over a year now with z3 and it works with absolute charm. Have also used it with zensor 7 for a month and precisely with tannoy mercury and was never short of power.
50wpc is good enough for a small to medium size room.

What matters is how much power can a amplifier deliver at lower ohms ( bass ) .
Avr should be capable of powering at least 4 ohms.

If you compare Marantz NR1608 with Denon AVR-X2400H and Yamaha RXV-683, Marantz out performs other two with its warm music. You should do a audition before commenting on NR1608. Marantz NR1608 will look week in papers but strong that other two models in performance. As FM Sunand and Kumar said it easily drives the big boys (FS).
The NR series is slim for saving space, which leads to a smaller size power supply compare to the denon & yamaha models you compared to.

Yes it will drive the speakers but will they take the dali zensor 7 to its full potential? NO

Driving the speakers & running FS to their potential is 2 different things. eg- A Ferrari will drive on 91 octane fuel for sure but with only 30% of what its capable of doing.
Put 99 octane in the Ferrari & then you have a real beast. I hope you understand what i m saying. I am not trying to bring down NR series owners here, its a n awesome amp but there have to be sacrifies for its slim lined body(smaller power supply etc & not getting hot etc)

Peace..

Not sure you auditioned the NR1608. Please try to audition it with your desired speakers and do same with Yamaha RXV-683 and Denon AVR-X2400H. I auditioned all these three side by side. No offense. Once you audition it you will change your statements. Same Ferrari with turbo will drive better.
Okie guess i m wrong as i haven't taken a demo of the NR series but did take a demo of the Sr 5011 & found the denon avrx3300 better for movies.
If the NR series has enough juice to power FS, thats amazing, will take your word for it.

Cheers.

Okie guess i m wrong as i haven't taken a demo of the NR series but did take a demo of the Sr 5011 & found the denon avrx3300 better for movies.
If the NR series has enough juice to power FS, thats amazing, will take your word for it.

Cheers.

The NR can drive any speaker to more than decent levels as long as the speakers are 88db or higher and rated 8ohms. Anything lesser and the amp will struggle to give you that oomph in say Mad Max. Less than moderate, say under 40% volume, no issues. I have been driving my Kef iQ5 with a NR1504. They sound good, really good, but then as they say in automotive terms 'no replacement for displacement'.

MaSh

They sound good, really good, but then as they say in automotive terms 'no replacement for displacement'.
MaSh

Thats my point i m trying to put across in vein. For below 6ohms speakers it will run out of juice.

Cheers.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back