Need suggestions on improving/upgrading existing 7ch HT

ktks1

Hello,

I currently have the following as my HT setup (which is in my living room of 22x11 feet): Polk Rti70 floor standers, Polk CSi 3 center, Polk OWM3 surrounds, Micca M-8C Atmos, Denon x2400h AVR. After a few auditions, I realized that my HT needs some more punch in the entire frequency spectrum. I'm still trying to completely understand what is lacking in the setup.

I don't have a subwoofer yet and will be auditioning them soon. I would like to know if there are ways to improve SQ on my existing setup without upgrading the speakers. If yes, can I do it without affecting the looks of the living room?

And if an upgrade is the only way to go, how do floor standing speakers compete against bookshelf/stand-mount speakers in the same price range?
I have an option to get bookshelf/stand-mount speakers from the US to save on some costs. I can get floorstanders too, but might take a lot of time. So requesting the HT folks to please recommend accordingly.

Hello,

I currently have the following as my HT setup (which is in my living room of 22x11 feet): Polk Rti70 floor standers, Polk CSi 3 center, Polk OWM3 surrounds, Micca M-8C Atmos, Denon x2400h AVR. After a few auditions, I realized that my HT needs some more punch in the entire frequency spectrum. I'm still trying to completely understand what is lacking in the setup.

I don't have a subwoofer yet and will be auditioning them soon. I would like to know if there are ways to improve SQ on my existing setup without upgrading the speakers. If yes, can I do it without affecting the looks of the living room?

And if an upgrade is the only way to go, how do floor standing speakers compete against bookshelf/stand-mount speakers in the same price range?
I have an option to get bookshelf/stand-mount speakers from the US to save on some costs. I can get floorstanders too, but might take a lot of time. So requesting the HT folks to please recommend accordingly.
Why don’t you try adding a good sub woofer first? Dual will help in smooth and tight bass.

hi,
floor standers typically produce good bass effects.
I myself bought a BIC PL200ii, since i found the bass from my bookshelves qacoustics 3020i is not enough punch.
So instead of adding bookshelves better go for subwoofer.

I currently have the following as my HT setup (which is in my living room of 22x11 feet): Polk Rti70 floor standers,

You room is large and the lack of subwoofer might make you feel that.. The sooner you add, better the feel.. Dual if you can..

I would like to know if there are ways to improve SQ on my existing setup without upgrading the speakers. If yes, can I do it without affecting the looks of the living room?

Hope you are referring to room acoustics?..

Even if you happen to add one (or) two subs in the room over time, you will anyways be using the FS with a 80hz crossover in AVR.. So the existing FS is itself good enough, IMO..

Hello,

You would need a sub (or two) for a room this size.
In our conversations (over PM), I assumed you already had at least one sub :)
The towers you have host 6.25" LF, I think. They cannot pressurize a large room.
Make friends on the forum, borrow a ported sub and plonk it in your listening space.
You may just find that it may "bell this cat".

Looks wise, subs are the ugly ducklings in the speaker world. Mostly black bland cubes.
You may be able to get away without room treatment if willing to accept certain compromises.

Maybe instead of changing speakers, add subs and/or AVR with preouts ;)
Cheers,
Raghu

Thank you all for the inputs. To sum it up, it seems that the lack of low end is the main reason for my perception of inferior sound.

For my budget of around 1 lakh INR, I can get a pair of any of the following with 220V support from the US without any shipping worries
Klipsch SPL-120, SVS SB-2000, Rel HT/1003, Rel T/5i. I'm not aware of BIC providing 220V support.

If local dealers have issues with servicing, I'll have to settle for a single sub purchased locally in that budget.

To take a slight turn with my initial query, should I purchase a pair of bookshelf/stand-mount speakers for pure stereo music listening? Or should I buy a stereo amp and use my existing polks?

Thank you all for the inputs. To sum it up, it seems that the lack of low end is the main reason for my perception of inferior sound.

For my budget of around 1 lakh INR, I can get a pair of any of the following with 220V support from the US without any shipping worries
Klipsch SPL-120, SVS SB-2000, Rel HT/1003, Rel T/5i. I'm not aware of BIC providing 220V support.

If local dealers have issues with servicing, I'll have to settle for a single sub purchased locally in that budget.

To take a slight turn with my initial query, should I purchase a pair of bookshelf/stand-mount speakers for pure stereo music listening? Or should I buy a stereo amp and use my existing polks?

REL T5/i is too small for the room and is a down-firing sealed box.
REL HT may be more appropriate. Ported and targeted for lower extension.
SVS seems to be the go to brand for HT growl, pricing may be a blocker.

Personally, I have a soft corner for BS/SM for music coupled with a decent IA

Cheers,
Raghu

1L is a good budget and you can very well get two decent 12 inc subs in India itself. I have a xtz 10.17 in my room and have also auditioned 12.17 and 10.17 edge. All this in a single set up could not match the smooth even bass from a dual bic f-12 which I auditioned in volumate. This will just cost you just 60k and the better dual pl-200-II will cost you 80-82K. This route will also ensure you have warranty, service and save some cash as well. If you can accommodate dual go the bic route. If only a single sub then you can go for xtz 12.17 edge, rythmik, rel, sun fire 12 inches sub all available well within a lakh.

REL T5/i is too small for the room and is a down-firing sealed box.
REL HT may be more appropriate. Ported and targeted for lower extension.
SVS seems to be the go to brand for HT growl, pricing may be a blocker.

Personally, I have a soft corner for BS/SM for music coupled with a decent IA

Cheers,
Raghu
I'll catch up with you for the BS - IA part soon ;) For me, listening to music is one of the easiest ways to destress and would love to have something set up for that.

For my budget of around 1 lakh INR, I can get a pair of any of the following with 220V support from the US without any shipping worries Klipsch SPL-120, SVS SB-2000, Rel HT/1003, Rel T/5i.

If you can get the 220V from US, then no worries..

1L is a good budget and you can very well get two decent 12 inc subs in India itself. I have a xtz 10.17 in my room and have also auditioned 12.17 and 10.17 edge. All this in a single set up could not match the smooth even bass from a dual bic f-12 which I auditioned in volumate. This will just cost you just 60k and the better dual pl-200-II will cost you 80-82K. This route will also ensure you have warranty, service and save some cash as well. If you can accommodate dual go the bic route. If only a single sub then you can go for xtz 12.17 edge, rythmik, rel, sun fire 12 inches sub all available well within a lakh.
Thank you for the suggestions. BIC F-12 and PL-200 ll have tons of good reviews. But dual BIC F-12 costs $430 and dual PL-200 ll costs $600 in the US :eek:
I agree with the warranty issue and other stuff but they're way overpriced in here for sure. I'll try to get them from there with a pair of step-downs. Even if both break down for some reason, I can then get two more and would still cost less than Indian pricing :p

If you can get the 220V from US, then no worries..
Which among my choices would best cater to both music and HT usage? I thought of buying one PB and one SB from SVS so that I can get the best of both. But dropped that plan after some guidance.

Before you go buy the subs, want to make sure you have set all the speakers to large in the AVR. Also, if you used audyssey or such software mentioned there is no sub so it can handle the LFE signal.

Once you go for the sub route - check out rythmik, then SVS, then others. Obviously if you are planning duals then you will need to adjust as per budgets.

Which among my choices would best cater to both music and HT usage? I thought of buying one PB and one SB from SVS so that I can get the best of both. But dropped that plan after some guidance.

Sealed subs.. You will like it more as time goes..

If DIY is an option, you can easily do 4 x 12 inch sealed subs (drivers sourced from India) + external amplification, inside 1 Lac budget.. No looking back :)

Before you go buy the subs, want to make sure you have set all the speakers to large in the AVR. Also, if you used audyssey or such software mentioned there is no sub so it can handle the LFE signal.

Once you go for the sub route - check out rythmik, then SVS, then others. Obviously if you are planning duals then you will need to adjust as per budgets.
Yes and yes for speaker configs. My polks won't go below 40 Hz as per specs.

If you have an idea on how much the 12 inch (both ported and sealed) rythmiks cost, pls do let me know.

Sealed subs.. You will like it more as time goes..

If DIY is an option, you can easily do 4 x 12 inch sealed subs (drivers sourced from India) + external amplification, inside 1 Lac budget.. No looking back :)
I don't mind DIY as long as some guidance is involved.

I don't mind DIY as long as some guidance is involved.

Ok great.. This is the driver i was suggesting - https://www.iwaispeakers.com/Subwoofer/12inc_4e_200W/, roughly abt Rs 5,500 per driver shipped to your location from the factory.. I use 4 of these in a sealed, passive enclosure and power it externally..

You can consider Crown XLS 1502 power amps (or) other equivalent ones to drive these subs..

Does encoded LFE actually get distributed to mains, if "no sub" option is chosen?
I know that sub can be set to "LFE + Mains", but vice versa is where the doubt lies.
Cheers,
Raghu

Ok great.. This is the driver i was suggesting - https://www.iwaispeakers.com/Subwoofer/12inc_4e_200W/, roughly abt Rs 5,500 per driver shipped to your location from the factory.. I use 4 of these in a sealed, passive enclosure and power it externally..

You can consider Crown XLS 1502 power amps (or) other equivalent ones to drive these subs..
Umm, well.. I thought there would be links to source the cabinets and other requirements as well :)
Also, I felt that more than two would be an overkill to my living room, both acoustically and aesthetically

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back