Need suggestions to buy a home theatre under 20K

amitsetiya20

Hey folks,

I am new to this forum and well this is my post or say "Help" post.

I am looking to buy a home system for a room size of 15 X 15. The system would majorly be used for TV viewing (from set up box), movies and music in a ratio of approx. 50:25:25.

I am not that tech savvy if not tech challenged per se. I am looking for a permanent installation or say hassle free viewing with no or little interference once set up is there.

My basic motto is to have that surround sound system at the crunch moments of viewing. Or put it this way, dramatic sound presentation on key moments (just for a laugh, Ravi Shashtri's commentary on 2011 Final Six, or a movie climax).

Any suggestions are heartily welcome.

Hi,

Visit electronic stores like croma or vijay sales etc and look @ HTiBs as this is what you will get with the budget.

Actual 5.1 systems start from 30-35k onwards (Yamaha/Onkyo etc) depending on connectivity and performance requirements decide...audition is a must.

If there are strong budget challenges, see the For Sale by Owner section of hifiads.com

You can buy basic Home Theatre in a Box (HTiB) like Panasonic/Sony/Philips/LG/Samsung for your budget. They may not play high fidelity sound. Even playing surround sound comes with some restrictions. Generally these come with a single electronic unit of DVD player & amplifier plus 5.1 speakers. These invariably have very few connectivity options - (sometimes just one HDMI, an optical input and a USB port ). Matching the HT to your TV brand may have certain advantages - remote control functionality mainly.
If you want to connect multiple sources with surround sound (Bluray, Xbox, Laptop or PC etc) then you may have to opt for AV receivers.

Decent HTIBs are costly. The range starts from approx 30k. Decent means Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon etc.

Please avoid Sony, Philips, LG, Samsung or similar DVD home theater by any means (if possible). They are waste of money IMHO.
I know some member will start arguing on this statement. :)

If you have a desktop, you might check this out:

F&D Home Theatre Speaker F8000U Black Price: Buy F&D Home Theatre Speaker F8000U Black Online in India -Amazon.in
and
Asus XONAR-DX Sound Card: Amazon.in: Electronics
combo.

Upon my recommendation, one of my friends ordered the F&D 5.1 speaker set last week. He paired it with Creative 5.1 sound card. He is very happy with the output.
I haven't got a chance to listen to his setup so far.

Last edited:
Get Sony HT-IV300 for 17-20K !
OR
Philips HTD5520/94 for 15K
Philips HTD3520G for 12K
Philips HTS 3533 for 17K
Philips HTD5550/94 for 17K [With tower speakers]

Philips 5510D/94 comes with 2 HDMI inputs so you can watch your HD TV channels in 5.1 sound!

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back