Need to buy UPS - advise needed

Kumar101

I get a lot of Power outages where I live and need to get a UPS.

Main reason is I need to make sure my Internet connection holds whilst I'm doing online transations like banking. Dont need to stay on for too long just enogh time to for me to get my task done and then I can shutdown.

Equipment - 350Watt PC, Macbook Pro, 24 inch Monitor, Router, Huawei ont.

I'm looking for something around 1000-1500 VA with 5+ Power Sockets. The important thing is that I needs to be noise free, a lot of the models I've been looking at seem to have Fans which stay on permantly.

I get a lot of Power outages where I live and need to get a UPS.

Main reason is I need to make sure my Internet connection holds whilst I'm doing online transations like banking. Dont need to stay on for too long just enogh time to for me to get my task done and then I can shutdown.

Equipment - 350Watt PC, Macbook Pro, 24 inch Monitor, Router, Huawei ont.

I'm looking for something around 1000-1500 VA with 5+ Power Sockets. The important thing is that I needs to be noise free, a lot of the models I've been looking at seem to have Fans which stay on permantly.

Hi!

To provide a 30 minute backup for the equipment listed by you, I doubt you will need a 1-1.5 KVA UPS. Only the high capacity UPS produce noise. I suggest you relook at your power requirement and settle for lower capacity UPS, which will be noise free.

Cheers!

Hi!

To provide a 30 minute backup for the equipment listed by you, I doubt you will need a 1-1.5 KVA UPS. Only the high capacity UPS produce noise. I suggest you relook at your power requirement and settle for lower capacity UPS, which will be noise free.

Cheers!

Think you are probably right.

Was thinking of getting this Cyberpower BU1000E: https://www.cyberpower.com/in/en/product/sku/BU1000E

Might get away with putting the Router and ont together on one connection.

Decided to get APC BE800 instead of Cyberpower. Awaiting delivery will let you all know how I get on with it.

OK, been using the UPS for a week now:

Good Points:

Well built sturdy

Quiet!

Does what it says on the can: PC, Monitor and comms equipment last around 20 mins or so. Kicks in straight away during power outage.

Negatives:

No mute button Alarms repeats very 40secs or so - very irritating indeed.

No USB or RS232 so cannot monitor UPS or trigger shutdown of PC. Curiously the next model down BE700 which is in-fact cheaper does come with USB!

Does the job I suppose - will remove the Speaker from the PCB cant live with the noise. Soldering iron already ordered:D

Attachments

• 20170711_173548.jpg
    20170711_173548.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 60
Congrats on your purchase, but i usally avoid APC because they use proprietary battery. When the battery dies after 2 years, you have to purchase from APC itself.
I prefer UPS with regular 12v 7AH battery UPS which costs around Rs 850.00 and can be replaced directly by the end user

I prefer UPS with regular 12v 7AH battery UPS which costs around Rs 850.00 and can be replaced directly by the end user

The price is for the battery or along with the UPS. Not able to find any 12v 7AH UPS in this price range.

Update:

I have Power cuts all the time in the rains the noise just got too much to deal with so decided to remove the Speaker.

Its located on the main PCB. Just need to remove the battery, top housing, pull off the transformer wires and you can get to the PCB (shown in pic). Use a fine tipped soldering iron to heat the two speaker legs and very gently pry it away pulling on each alternate leg in turn and it will come off.

Also something very interesting I found too. The Data outlet receptacle(shown in pic) - just a thin bit plastic hiding it!. The plastic is just there to hide it in the cut-out it wasn't even glued down, these big manufacturers still doing these sly tricks from yester-years making fools of their customers. Yes folks please try and remember APC now owned by the big French conglomerate "Schneider Electric" doing this; but when this type of information gets into the public domain it gives them a very bad reputation.

Doesn't get any better the propriety RJ45 to USB cable is priced at around 3500-4000 rupees. The whole 700 model UPS costs 4600 with this cable included! If I can be bothered and manage to get the pinouts I'll make this cable myself for zero rupees:eek:hyeah:

Attachments

• 20170720_151422.jpg
    20170720_151422.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 20170720_152329.jpg
    20170720_152329.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back