Neighbour's Envy, My Pride...

Mechanix

Hello Everybody,

I just became the proud owner of a Samsung 5 series (LA32B530) 32" LCD.

Thanks to everyone here who have given their views on various LCD related topics...it helped me quite a lot to decide between TV's...i've mostly been reading stuff here...

I noticed that while my TV is excellent in playing DVD's and HD movies, the output for TATA sky is not all that eye catching...obviously, I realize the difference between TATA Sky signals (560p I think) and 1080p (using DV-610 and my comp...) but Com'on, enough grainy stuff on the screen so that Roger Federer and Steffi Graf look alike :sad:

I cannot buy an up-converting AVR, cauz I'm already broke this month :p

What i'd like to know is, if anyone has a similar setup, what settings (in the TV) do you recommend to get better quality output from the TATA sky setup??

To be honest, i havent tweaked many display settings as of now...what ones are the most important and how to optimize them??

Any help is appreciated...Thx.

Hello Everybody,

Thanks to everyone here who have given their views on various LCD related topics...it helped me quite a lot to decide between TV's...i've mostly been reading stuff here...

I noticed that while my TV is excellent in playing DVD's and HD movies, the output for TATA sky is not all that eye catching...obviously, I realize the difference between TATA Sky signals (560p I think) and 1080p (using DV-610 and my comp...) but Com'on, enough grainy stuff on the screen so that Roger Federer and Steffi Graf look alike :sad:

What i'd like to know is, if anyone has a similar setup, what settings (in the TV) do you recommend to get better quality output from the TATA sky setup??

To be honest, i havent tweaked many display settings as of now...what ones are the most important and how to optimize them??

congrats bhai on the purchase. Its a good TV but could have done better with the nature of the image - its mostly soft though it retains detail better than say a sont s series or LG 53/60 etc. Colour bleeding is a small problem but that can be fixed by the on screen menu. Overall a good buy.

Tata sky is not even 480p - so on a full HD tv it will look pathetic.
On the other hand Bluerays will look good. So will upcoverted dvds.

Mostly turn off an image mods like pnr (noise) off and use the contrast and brightness and sharpness to bring a overall good image - sadly tata sky looks better on normal sized TVs or screens less than 40" which are HD ready.

Hello Everybody,

well tata sky+ outputs a 576i via component not sure about tata sky,but can u be a more specific with the term grainy,which is seen in mostly cable RF connection not in tata sky,if the picture is like what u say i.e roger looking like steffi,they i doubt any kind of settings can make a big difference,check ur cables,see if anything else is causing some interference,since i have seen lots of FHD tvs with tata sky while they don't look as good as a crt or a HD plasma,they surely look better then what u have described,offcourse if u sit at point black distance then again there is nothing much u can do.

Thanks for the replys.

@adder: I played around with the settings and was able to get a good PQ..
having fun watching it now.

TATA sky+ vs normal tata sky, wonder if the difference in PQ is worth buying that stuff?

Any thoughts?

even i got my tata sky plus installed a few days back. output is by component (MX component cable). i had big tv earlier. i left big tv simply bcoz of poor service and horrendous software, in tata sky plus, the software is awesome! :)

recording is like a breeze and pic quality is good, although i fell big tv wins in terms of pic quality.but i am more than happy simply bcoz of the quality of service and the software.

also audio is better, has PCM and Dolby output options. banner settings etc. are really cool. kudos to tata sky for comin up with this awesome thing. although i'm a bit sad coz tata sky have hiked prices on annual and semi annual packs. :(

however i'm lookin forward to HD from tata sky. SD looks awful on hi def tv. :(

by grainy i gather you mean blocky and pixelated, and displaying compression artefacts.

You need to reduce your contrast to about 50 (or even less if you can be happy with that), your sharpness to zero or thereabouts, and your colour to about 50 +/-10. Set the colour temperature to Warm 2 (yes it looks yellowish at first, but you'll get used to it and it is actually the most natural setting, once you get used to it, neutral and cool etc., will look anemic).

Turn off DNie and dynamic contrast and stuff like that. These steps should give you a slightly better picture from Tata Sky. At the end of the day there's not much you can do with a crappy source image, so you'll probably have to wait for HD STBs to be truly happy, but these small steps should help somewhat.

Hello Everybody,

Back