Netflix, now available in INDIA .....

sam9s

Hi Friends,

Thought to share this new with all my Netflix buddies and others as well. As of now Netflix is available in India. Yes without the DNS and any VPN. I just logged in a created another free one month account for the same. The content seems pretty identical as of US, with most of the shows available like Narcos, orange is the new black. Jessica Jones. so yes looks like good start.
Price however is high as compared to what was expected given the target indian audience. Its pretty much equal to the USD conversion

9ETZq6n.jpg

Check out the Indian content ..

DnPNw26.jpg

So how many of my fellow friends will jump in this opportunity .....

I don't think it's priced competitive to cable/satellite TV. In US, all channels will land you close to 50$ and Netflix is at 15$.

I guess for now only VPN based users will switch.

Also it will be interesting to know if the shows are sensered like broadcast Tv. This will be a huge damper.

Last edited:
It is going to be interesting if we can transfer our existing accounts to India, or if we need to make a new account?

I'm on it anyways via VPN, but it's now available legally in Singapore too. Guess we'll be saving on the VPN fees.

Regarding the INR pricing, it seems fair, we pay in the same range for the channels we want to watch or a half of that for channels you will never watch.

Either way it's good news, there is a lot more content to watch, especially good content.

Netflix finally available now, subscribed the Rs 650 plan with first month free.The process of subscription was quick.
But the number of titles available seem to be quite limited as of now.Hope this to improve in coming days.

It is going to be interesting if we can transfer our existing accounts to India, or if we need to make a new account?

I'm on it anyways via VPN, but it's now available legally in Singapore too. Guess we'll be saving on the VPN fees.

Regarding the INR pricing, it seems fair, we pay in the same range for the channels we want to watch or a half of that for channels you will never watch.

Either way it's good news, there is a lot more content to watch, especially good content.

You don't have to create a new account. The existing account will work without VPN/Proxy. The content will be less. But you will see lots of content which are not available in US as well e.g. Better Call Saul

Those who have Roku/Chromecast need not do the additional settings on router to access Netflix India now.

However, to access Netflix content from other regions you still need VPN/DNS as well router settings for Roku/Chromecast.

content and price wise it would nice to see how the indian sites fair compared to Netflix. there are many now which offer similar services. even itunes and google play has these features. Therefore for me the most interesting part would be the content and the price points in comparision.

Few observations ....

Yes you do not need a new account and can log in with your US Netflix created account as well (The one you were using with DNS/VPN), however your saved list and progress and content will differ.). SO its better to create a new account for India access in case that how you want to access Netflix.

Also I dug in more in to the content thing, and it neither more or less, its just different. Very similar to difference in content between US and Canada. So there were few TV series that I could find in India Netflix and not in US and vice versa. Also there was nothing add. infested content I could come across. Whether anything was censored is something I cannot comment so soon, I have to play some specific 18+ content and see if, the content is censored in any means

Coming to speed, well I am on a 50mbps connection so I might not be the correct person to comment since at that high speed I cound not find any difference in loading time or time netflix takes to reach 1080p. However with slower connections like 2-4mbps one might see a difference ....

I would still recommend and prefer DNSProxy route since it will give you the choice you choose the region you want to log in and view Netflix. I had a talk with the DNSProxy representative and asked him if India will be included in the list of available regions at their site and they said yes their network team is working on it, so once India is available, you only need to change the region from DNSProxy configuration to India and you are good to go .....

Lastly coming to price .... well our club is paying 12USD which is approx 804 INR and India Netflix 4 screen plan is also 800 bucks so, nothing changes in that department.

With all these points in mind I guess sticking to DNSProxy route is still beneficial, especially when all we are extra paying to DNSProxy is mere 100 bucks/month (19usd/year) ....

What do you people have to say ......

Last edited:
content and price wise it would nice to see how the indian sites fair compared to Netflix. there are many now which offer similar services. even itunes and google play has these features. Therefore for me the most interesting part would be the content and the price points in comparision.

The ONLY streaming service that comes remotely close to Netflix in terms of content, quality and support is iTunes and Google Play. The Indian attempt like HOOQ and Spuul are down right pathetic in terms of the content they offer and the quality of streaming. Hotstar app is only OTT, and offers only indian TV series. But Hotstar originals are not bad.

I am planning to get Netflix. Do you guys know about Tamil Movies collection and also how is the overall Hollywood movie collection on Netflix ? Hope it works on Apple TV as well.

many of the DNS switchers have already included India region switch guess it will take some time to setup relays for 130 countries in which Netflix is currently operating.

@indy70 you will be disappointed if you are looking for regional content. other than 'Ok Kanmani' I couldn't find any.

on my limited viewing of Netflix India
- no censorship, donno how long this will last.
- cdn is Singapore so switch to HD is mostly seamless.
- movie library is limited compared to other newly launched regions,will only get better countrydetail on uNoGS

I am planning to get Netflix. Do you guys know about Tamil Movies collection and also how is the overall Hollywood movie collection on Netflix ? Hope it works on Apple TV as well.

I am using Apple TV with Netflix since last two years... and in my opinion it's one of the best combination to have

Few observations ....

I would still recommend and prefer DNSProxy route since it will give you the choice you choose the region you want to log in and view Netflix. I had a talk with the DNSProxy representative and asked him if India will be included in the list of available regions at their site and they said yes their network team is working on it, so once India is available, you only need to change the region from DNSProxy configuration to India and you are good to go .....

Which DNS services are you using? India region is available in Getflix.

^^ I am using Smart DNS Proxy. I think all of our 4 members if Netflix club are using Smart DNS Proxy ....

Which DNS services are you using? India region is available in Getflix.

Getflix looks good, with option to switch off DNS from the website itself, VUDU support (SmartDNS does not have VUDU), plus VPN-over-DNS and an Android app to be able to configure all this via your mobile ....... all this is not available on SmartDNS. However its much cheaper for us. just 19 USD for a year, where as Getflix is 33 USD ...... if Getflix was even 25 USD/year I would have gone for it ....

Getflix looks good, with option to switch off DNS from the website itself, VUDU support (SmartDNS does not have VUDU), plus VPN-over-DNS and an Android app to be able to configure all this via your mobile ....... all this is not available on SmartDNS. However its much cheaper for us. just 19 USD for a year, where as Getflix is 33 USD ...... if Getflix was even 25 USD/year I would have gone for it ....

I had recently subscribed it @ $1.17 per year.
https://stacksocial.com/sales/getflix-lifetime?utm_source=StackSocial+Deals+Newsletter&utm_campaign=Tech_Welcome_User_2015&utm_medium=email

$39 for lifetime (30 years). Additional 10% off for 1st time buy at StackSocial.
So final price $35.1.

They may start this deal again...watch out.

Damm Where was I ....lol ..... Mailed getflix people asking them if this deal would ever be available again ..... lets see ...

My problem is the"FUP" and of course a Data limit ( & my Budget ) which for me is 30GB at 4 MB and 512K thereafter:
As per Netflix we could use 3-4 GB per hour that could easily translate to around 500GB per month.
How do you guys get around that ?

My problem is the"FUP" and of course a Data limit ( & my Budget ) which for me is 30GB at 4 MB and 512K thereafter:
As per Netflix we could use 3-4 GB per hour that could easily translate to around 500GB per month.
How do you guys get around that ?

Thats a great and valid question. Somebody please enlighten us.

I am on 125GB plan. So basically I can stream about 1 to 2 hour content per day. I just need to control watching too much in a day :)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back