Neutrik Jacks and Interconnects

suraj

Hello,
I wanted to make a small 3.5mm audio interconnect for my portable player,to connect it to my amp
Some thing like this
viewpictureaspxg.jpg

or maybe this

2845534753ec191e8ef3o.jpg

Also,i want to recable a headphone too.

So,for that,i need neutrik 3.5mm jacks and good quality wire.
As for neutriks,where can i buy it?i know SP Road,but it'd take me a whole days to go there and get back,its a 6-8hours train journey 2-way.

So,is there any place i can buy good neutriks for decent prices online?The original neutriks, not the ningbo neutriks.

Also,about these ningbo neutriks-are they original neutrik?or is the American neutrik better?

Also,what wire do i use?
for headphones,I have a bit of a mogami cable and i cant afford that stuff.
So,any other cable to use?Can i buy this online too?

for my interconnect,Which cable to use?Does anyone sell the silver wire stuff?or are there good enough alternatives?
I remember there was a GB for silver wires.Is there any left?Or,is silver wire overkill?

Please advise,
Suraj

go for a neutral wire copper OFC between the pre and the power

You are gonna introduce color with silver

color is a good
but not between a pre and power

Why silver?Bling!
and of course,brag value,nothing else.

Oxygen free copper wires-where can i buy these,online?
Only place i saw wires i thought were of some quality were on diyaudiocart-teflon wires(silver plated stranded copper wire.or so they say)

Also,Diyaudiocart has 3 core,24 gauge Teflon wire.looks good for a cheap headphone recable ?
http://diyaudiocart.com/Wires-And-Cables/ptfe-teflon-shielded-wire-3core-24-awg

I dont mind trying out different wire,as long as its not too expensive.
Where can i buy neutriks online?

Last edited:
sir
im no expert
but that 3 core wire is actually teflon and is actually electrical wire in military or firproof application rather than audio cable

real OFC or oxygen free cable are availble in a couple places
Many cables do advertize OFC
but just like watts and PMPO they all have their own interpretation

Belden is a safe bet in real OFC
so is DAC - availble on hifimart
so is Wicab

you are looking to connect a portable player to the amp correct
MX has a very good 75ohm cable ready made with really good connectors for this
its 1.5m though - costs probably 200 bucks

if you really wanna build one
you need a 2 core OFC with good 3.5mm connectors

Champion in mumbai stock neutrik

check the MX website too

sir,
im no expert

check the MX website too

Sir,
I am no expert either, but may I humbly recommend
Kiran Sales for Neutrik :
They are in Lam Rd.
Dealers for Neutrik.
Cheaper option is Toyo - same lane.

Also visit Spectra Connectronics for Cable and
Connectors.
I use them all the time:

Sunil Jadhav Spectra CONNECTRNONICS
LAMINGTON ROAD -
00 91 22-66361999

Hope this helps.

All the Best !

I regularly buy from Kiran Sales.They provide COD option too.I think they are the authorised distributors for Neutrick.I have confirmed this from Neutrick itself.

Regards,
Sachin

Thanks, I've always wondered about this "oxygen free" thing, even though I don't consider that these cable "issues" are, in general, worth much thought.

Yes, I know... Of course I have friends who take a very opposite point of view on this!

However, I suspect that even they might consider that an interconnect from a portable player, even if it is one of the better ones, would be worth very much investment. Even as a cable agnostic, I don't usually rely on the stuff that "comes in the box," but, in this instance, I would. Short run for neatness? Take such a cable, chop it to length, and attach an ordinary 3.5mm stereo jack to the chopped end. If you want colour ...paint it! :lol:

I learned recently that there are genuine technical issues with coax digital cable being too short. Actually, I knew that about ethernet cable long ago, so I shouldn't have been surprised. Anyway... I don't think there are any short- or minimum-length issues with analogue audio connectors.

Thanks for the replies

I made a mistake in the player and the amp part.
The player is going to be a portable one playing FLACs or apple lossless.
The AMP is a portable one.Simple buffered opamp circuit.amateur work though.
its this

i will use a elastic band to hold the pmp and amp together and use the setup to drive cans as a portable music system.
so what i want is a small interconnect,Maybe 4 inches long and flexible.
The idea is to use 3 pieces of the wire,braid it and terminate with jacks.

but that 3 core wire is actually teflon and is actually electrical wire in military or firproof application rather than audio cable

real OFC or oxygen free cable are availble in a couple places
Many cables do advertize OFC

Belden is a safe bet in real OFC
so is DAC - availble on hifimart
so is Wicab

you are looking to connect a portable player to the amp correct
MX has a very good 75ohm cable ready made with really good connectors for this
its 1.5m though - costs probably 200 bucks
if you really wanna build one
you need a 2 core OFC with good 3.5mm connectors
check the MX website too
Teflon wire-I dont really know,i am learning.
I thought,if it has fancy stuff in it,it has to be good,right?

i did take a look at some of the small OFC lower gauge wires locally.on stripping the shielding off however,i find the wire has oxidised.This stuff sells like hot cake for speaker wiring here though.

As for MX,its become expensive these days,so is there any advantage of choosing it over imported items which cost similarly?

Sir,
I am no expert either, but may I humbly recommend
Kiran Sales for Neutrik :
They are in Lam Rd.
Dealers for Neutrik.
Cheaper option is Toyo - same lane.

Also visit Spectra Connectronics for Cable and
Connectors.
I use them all the time:

Sunil Jadhav Spectra CONNECTRNONICS
LAMINGTON ROAD -
00 91 22-66361999

Hope this helps.

All the Best !

I did mail Kiran,lets see what comes off it.Will contact spectra too.

I regularly buy from Kiran Sales.They provide COD option too.I think they are the authorised distributors for Neutrick.I have confirmed this from Neutrick itself.
I got another dealer from neutrik,who is in Delhi.I mailed the guy a week back and since the time i told him i want only 3-4 neutrik plugs,he is very busy/doesnt care for the buyer,with no further replies even after pestering him multiple times.

I am limited to dealers who are willing to send me the stuff by parcel.cannot go check shops for the reason that there are none in my city,or next option is to go to Bangalore.

Working with Teflon wire has one added advantage that Teflon can tolerate high temperature hence soldering becomes easy.
In contrast while soldering a PVC wire to an interconnect, usually a novice [including myself] burns a few mm extra of the PVC jacket, the wire gets exposed much than what is required and there is a chance of short-circuit unless sleeves are used.

But this is only half of the story; the most important is the quality of copper inside the jacket [PVC/Teflon]

It is advisable to go for a ready made available from MX.

For DIY you need 2 core Shielded wire [Use the Red one for Right, Black one for Left and the shield itself acts as neutral] and two 3.5mm stereo jack (male)

Last edited:
Ok,
So i mailed Kiran sales and have got quotes for 3.5mm plugs.Will go ahead with that.

I am still not sure as to what cable to use for the 3.5mm connector.
Oxygen free copper it is,and there are many types of cables around.

And all inquiries are met with a "pehle yeh bolo ki kitna loge?"

I have two thing to make.

one is this-
post2845881362033742.jpg

Another cable is for my headphone.So,for that,I need a 3 conductor stereo cable.

If the stereo cable is enough,i can use it to make the 3.5mm interconnect too,reducing the number of items i need to by.

I did read about a lot of recommendations but am really confused due to that.
Any suggestions on what wire/cable to buy to achieve the above two goals?

Thanks
Suraj

I think you may be braking your head over a cable that will make no difference to the sound whatever wire you use but, looking back at your pictures, again, it occurs to me that if you could get two right-angle jacks, like the one in your second photo, that would make a very neat result for connecting two things close together, with the minimum cable. It would depend on the relative positions of the sockets

Regards,
Sachin

Sachin,

Do they ship to Bangalore? Do they have an online store?

Thanks,
John.

I think you may be braking your head over a cable that will make no difference to the sound whatever wire you use but, looking back at your pictures, again, it occurs to me that if you could get two right-angle jacks, like the one in your second photo, that would make a very neat result for connecting two things close together, with the minimum cable. It would depend on the relative positions of the sockets
:D yes,you are right.I am wasting too much time on this.

Thing is,i made an interconnect before.Using neutriks and solid core patch up cable.did not produce the results i wanted.

Used CAT5-E cable next,braided.worked well and looked good too,but it was too stiff and flexing caused the connections to break.

All i need is half-decent stereo cable.

I would really have no need to open this thread if i could go to SP Road.I could get all the different wire i need for under 200 bucks,then experiment.

Used CAT5-E cable next,braided.worked well and looked good too,but it was too stiff and flexing caused the connections to break.

I avoid ethernet cable for anything other than it's intended, designed purpose: networking. I am very dubious that any of the designed-in properties are any use at all for audio. You might as well use a piece of mains cable! But... Of cat-5 cable there are two kinds. one is made with twisted cores and the other with solid cores. The former is meant for fly leads, and the latter for in-building cabling. The twisted-core cable is flexible, the solid-core cable is not. It bends, of course, but doesn't spring back again.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back