New AVR upto 80k....?

From where did u buy the energy FS ? What is the price paid ?

I imported them from US @ Rs.45,000/Pair. RC was top of the Energy Line and could manage to get at this prie since Energy stopped RC series and replaced them with veritas line.

When i auditioned the speakers, locally prices were very high and they eventually got exhausted. So i decided to import them and had to wait for 15 days but it was worth the wait.

The anthem 500 can be demoed in Bombay and The Den. It was quoted to me at 1.18lacs. I believe the 300 was around 90K or lower. This was in Jan.

I have read the review from whathifi - and while they do get their reviews mostly right, they (and most reviewers) miss mentioning or trying system matching.
I have consistently found different results using different speakers with an amp. Very few components are agnostic about what they are paired with.
So my method (when I can't audition myself) is to compare multiple reviews - where they all say the same thing (good or bad) then mostly that applies.
If most concur and some differ than I know its about getting the system chain right.

Coming back to AVRs another one I am planning to check out is the HK AVR760. It was HK amps on JBL speakers that got me into this HiFi thingy.
And per my past experience HKs work really great with Dalis.

Anybody has taken a demo of the Anthem Receivers kindly post impressions. Would like to know more regarding the famous Anthem sound.

Demo 4.

Integra 50.2 ( Onkyo NR 1008 ) + Deftech Speakers.

The Integra 50.2 is basically a more upmarket Onkyo 1008. they are essentially the same avr.

- it had the trademark onkyo grunt.
- though the sound with 2010 models is slightly softer than before with more detail & subtlety which the previous onkyos lacked.
- the sound was still a little forward for my liking but was excellent with movies.

The Onkyo 1008 which is available in india is a 9.2 avr. So you can run front height/wide + rear surrounds which is awesome as now more and more movies are coming out with true 7.1 sound and you all already know i'm also very keen on the front heights.

That being said DTS just launched it's NEO X which and the first avrs with the same will be announced soon and be out by september.

I totally believe NEO X will be better than Dolby IIz, Audessey DSX and Yamaha Presence and blow them out of the water coz what everybody else does DTS does better.

So it might be worthwhile for anyone planning for new avr to wait till september if you are keen on front heights.

Top pick at this time.

1. NAD T 747

Going 11.1 is very good but as per current status only 2 or 3 movies are in True 7.1 . Step 3 and Toy story 3. All other are still 5.1, We can go till loss-less which is already ac hived by DTS MA and Tru HD, SO my point is why to keep on adding speakers when there is only pseudo sound to be coming from them. It will take I think 3 more years to even 7.1 to become to main stream like 5.1.

Any views.

you have valid points bro....

though the DTS Neo X is for the enthusiast. I'm more keen on the Front Heights than the Rear Surrounds.

i've heard a Front Height speaker setup at a friends place using Dolby IIz and it adds a totally new dimension to the movie experience.

You feel as if a wall of sound is coming at you from the front. This is specially more apparent for scenes like rain, helicopter hovering etc.

we had a movie scene with rain for about 5 minutes and all the while it seemed as if it's actually raining over my friend's HT room. Then he played the same scene with Dolby IIz OFF and the scene did not have the same impact.

also during a action movie there were several scenes where in the front height speakers added a totally new dimension to the movie with scenes like a guy shooting from the top of the building to enemy forces below at the road and also helicopter and jet scenes.

The Front height speakers do give out sound throughout the movie and not all movies have content that benefit from the Front Height speakers but in the movies which do have content for the Front Height Speaker in those movies once you hear the Front Height Speakers in action and realize what they can do then you will never again be satisfied with only 3 speakers in front. See if you can get a Dolby IIz demo.

Now i'm assuming that DTS NEO. X will be better than Dolby IIz and Yamaha Presence as pretty much what everyone else does, DTS takes it and does it better. and so are also early reports from the CES. there is a thread at AVSForum...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1305065

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1305798

Also i read somewhere that movie makers are now starting to add specific content for the Front Height channels. So it's gonna be super amazing.

So i'm not so much excited about 7.1 Rear Surrounds. I'm more excited about 7.1 with Front Heights with the DTS Neo. X

You have to hear it to believe it.... :)

in my opinion, for this budget, you should either go for separates or for a much better SQ AVR like arcam.

The AVR has mainly two parts, the preprocessor and the amplification. The amp section does not become obsolete and can serve you for a good 15-20 years. The pre processor will become obsolete within 3-4 years with all sorts of new technologies coming in e.g. new hdmi interface specs, new sound formats etc. within the last 10 years, there probably have been 20 new techs with sound processing. If you by separates, you will need to recycle your preprocessor only. amp can still do a good job.

Or you can go for a really good sq avr like arcam. atleast if the sq is far superior, you are more likely to stick to your good old avr rather than replacing it with a mediocre quality avr.

just my 2 cents.

Yeah i too would like to know the pricing on the 300 & 500. Do you have a link to the a 757 catalogue in pdf format or on the web...? i couldn't find it.

Check the brochure on the NAD website it has a PDF document the same that Ashish showed me where the details regrding the 757 are available.

"We can go till loss-less which is already ac hived by DTS MA and Tru HD"

Arent DTS HD MA and Dolby Tru HD lossy formats? Agreed, they are hd formats but they are not lossless.

Uncompressed PCM would be an example of Lossless audio formats in movies.

i'm giving a good thought to the idea of separates now to give some real juice to my speakers. i don't suppose there too many power amps which can do 9 channels. there aren't too many pre-pro which can do 9.x either. Onkyo is pretty much the only one i could find.

I'm a big believer of Front heights and i'm keen on what DTS Neo X will bring to the table. So i need at least 7 channels of amplification.

That being said i totally believe that true 7.1 content is now going to pick up pace and we'll see more and more movies in 7.1 and that makes rear surrounds equally important.

Hence the the immediate future calls for a Pre-Pro to have atleast 9.x channels output and also the need for 9 channel power amps. This combination will be expensive.

Another option is the AVR with 9.x channels. The soon to be launched Onkyo 1009 will be the world's first AVR with DTS NEO. X and will also have simultaneous 9.2 output. And also with be it's bigger brothers 3009 and 5009. I'm not sure if they can match the power of a Emo Xpa 5.

Another option is 2 x Emo Xpa 5 but there is still no Pre-pro announced which can do 9.x and also have DTS Neo. X

Most of the AVR's available at this point in time either 7.x or are 9.x but only give amplification to 7 channels and you need another power amp to power rest of the channels.

So it's interesting. Either i just remain with a 5.1 setup or i essentially go for a AVR/Separates combo which does 9.x because like i said earlier true 7.1 content is going to become more and more common. and add "Front Heights" to that and you'll need a 9.x capable AVR/Separates.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back