New AVR upto 80k....?

i had gone to south ex for some ac work when i called up acoustics to check on whts up. He invited me over to check out his new setup.

So he's newly setup hs Yamaha RX V3067 with 10.2 speaker setup. So besides the regular 5.1 there were 2 front height, a center back surround and 2 rear height.

He first played music which sounded fantastic and smooth. Yamaha has changed their sound signature little this year. The result is a an superb well rounded sound with excellent details. Just fantastic.

Next he showed me the video capabilities of the HQV chip inside the 3067. There was a huge difference in the picture with and without the HQV engaged and dis-engaged. The HQV made the picture much much better with better colors, contrast and skin tones. It's fantastic.

Next he played the movie Signs. He played a lot of scenes in which involved a lot of information in the surrounds. This is where the Rear Height speakers truly shined. They created this superb environment and ambiance. It gave a feeling of being in a much larger space with distinct effects and sound coming out of the Rear Height speakers which acoustics had placed at the top corner of the room on either side.

I've heard many demos of home theater systems and have heard a lot of excellent demo with the surround material from side surrounds but the Rear Heights is just on another level. I've never heard or experienced anything like it in my life. It created this amazing sound field during the movie and me and my brother felt we were actually inside the movie with the on screen characters. It was amazing.

That scene where the the winds was blowing and the dogs were barking it felt if i was in the crop circle and the wind was blowing around and above me and it sent chills down my spine....

That scene where the actors were looking up at the roof from outside the house because they thought something was on the roof, it felt like there was actually someone walking over over acoustic's roof. That was a incredible experience and gave me goose bumps.

I wonder how Yamaha calculates and processes which sound to send to the Rear Height surrounds but it results in a fantastic effect. You have to hear it to believe it. It's just amazing.

You have to hear it to believe it. Any hifivision members in delhi must take a chance to call acoustics and check out what the Rear Heights can do. It'll change the way you perceive home cinema.

I was keen on waiting for the new AVRS with DTS Neo X. but that does not have Rear Heights. So now i'm keen on the Yamaha RX V3067.

i was really impressed with the smooth sound signature, excellent channel separation, clean sound at high volumes and the dynamic sound of this avr. It's fantastic.

Cheers :)

Last edited:
NAD website lists the 757 and the 748 receivers. Any idea when these range will make it to India. Any pointers Ashish ?

hows yr experience with pro fx been? do they know their stuff??

i've visited their Atria Mall showroom in bombay a few times and found the staff to be knowledgeable and courteous. I had heard a Denon and Polk audio combo.

If you look at the data sheet then obviously 757 is an higher version than the 747. It has MDC, 3D, but the power is the same 7 x 60 whereas the 748 is 3D but the power reduces to 7 x 40. Asthetically the 748 resembles the 747 but the 757 is a little different. Interested to know the indian prices. Further I think the Marantz 7005 at 65k is a great alternative.

Demo 6.

I'm looking very keenly at the TX-NR 3008 mainly due to Audessey MultiXT32, Dynamic EQ/Volume, Dolby Volume and THX Loudness Plus as i need these low volume listening features/technologies since sometimes i watch movies in the afternoon or late at night but it's not available for demo so i tried the 808.

Onkyo 808 + Elac Speakers

I went to demo the mighty Onkyo today which has been winning more awards i can remember than any other AVR winning any awards. I found the Onkyo to have a very vast soundstage and a lot of detail. The effects were pin-point and i always carry my demo dvd. I felt i could hear things which i didn't hear at my home setup with my Yamaha AVR.

Also it created an amazing atmosphere. In simpler words i felt i was in the movie scenes which i've never felt with my Yamaha. I actually for only the third time in all of my demos felt that i was inside the movie just like i felt with the NAD T747 and acoustic's Yamaha 3067.

Dialogue was exceptionally clear. Sound/channel separation was just on another level. I've never heard so many things from my demo dvd on any other AVR. I'm sure the Elac speakers were responsible for this too.

But i also felt that the Onkyo sound signature was a bit clinical/harsh to the ears. I felt it was piercing my ears. I've been to used to the warm signature of the Yamaha for so many years that Onkyo simply was a bit too forward for my tastes. Although i feel it was more due to the sound signature of the Elac speakers which i feel are on the brighter sound.

There's only one way to know if i'll like the Onkyo with my PSB Speakers. And i'm gonna carry my speakers to the demo room next week.

I had a question for Onkyo owners...

1. Has any owner moved from a Yamaha or another Warmer sounding AVR likeke Denon/Marantz/HK to an Onkyo ? How well did you adjust to the Brighter nature and how long did it take to get adjusted to the Onkyo's sound signature ? Or did you feel you were better off with a warmer sounding AVR ?

Thanks,

Rana

Top Picks

1. Yamaha RX V3067
2. Nad T747
3. Onkyo 3008

Last edited:
The aventage reports to have better transformers and circuits. And the fifth leg was a simple but nice idea I suppose

Re: The Rise of the Aventage... !!

The Marantz 7005 also is a very good option by i'm just a vary due to whathifi's review... where in they say... "Hefty midrange is an issue" check it out here...

Marantz SR7005 review from the experts at whathifi.com

although the 7005 has been further reviewed by home cinema choice, home theater etc and they don't seem to mention the same issue. I kind of hold What hifi in high regards as i've mostly found their reviews to be spot on across various products. Not to dismiss the other websites.

not to put anyone down or anything but i personally have found whathifi reviews to be very biased. A friend in the know once told me that they never give Onkyo and Yamaha bad reviews as the advertise massively in their magazine and on the site. Its a unspoken rule in the publishing world that for X amount of advertising business you will also get Z amount of favorable review per month. And I am sure you would have never seen any Marantz ad on whathifi. ;)

I would go by the larger more widely accepted view from unbiased and well respected sites like audiophile and 6moon etc. Even on the forums across the world wide web whathifi reviews are always taken with a pinch of salt. You would notice this if you frequent forums like AVSforums Audioholic forums etc. :rolleyes:

I had a question for Onkyo owners...

1. Has any owner moved from a Yamaha or another Warmer sounding AVR likeke Denon/Marantz/HK to an Onkyo ? How well did you adjust to the Brighter nature and how long did it take to get adjusted to the Onkyo's sound signature ? Or did you feel you were better off with a warmer sounding AVR ?

I have a low end onkyo in my AV setup. I once connected it to my Ushers just for the heck of it and honestly I couldn't take it for more than a few minutes. They are simply not built for music. It sounded very very harsh. They do one thing well - movies and that is the end of it. Dialogue is extremely clean and ambient effects are done pretty well too. However IMHO if you have to listen to music in any form on your AVR, please stay away! Even in movies, once in a while the brightness irritates me. I just enable Cinema Filter in those movies.

kirti :)
the new models are to be launched in mid oct only in the US and these will be avaliable next year in india if and only if the 67 is updated in india by that time
and basically the 3067 and the newer ones are twins no changes except a new model number and an aluminium face plate
wind it up man :)
See what did i tell you yamaha has totally ignored the Dolby prologic IIz and the Dts Neo X in their new models too , and you know the reason why?
Nothing can beat Cinema DSP HD3 in 3d audio

Last edited:
Rana , i wanted to clear a doubt that you have in your mind regarding the cinema dsp
hd3 logo. As you have seen that the 3010 has this logo on it , where as the 3067 has the cinema dsp 3d logo (but the 3067 still features the cinema dsp hd3 processing).The reason behind this is, as per yamaha , the avr which has built in amps for both the front and rear heights channels can bear the cinema dsp hd3 logo because that particular receiver is all by itself capable of reproducing the 4 height channels . Now because the z11 and the upcoming 3010 both have an extra pair of amp to power up all the 4 height channels , thats the reason which makes them eligible to carry the hd3 logo on them. On the other hand with the 3067 it has 7 in built channels but it can do all 11.2 channels through the pre outs and with the support of extra external amp.
One more thing there is absolutely no difference in the HD3 processing on the 3067 and the older Z11 all the parameters and processing capabilities are the same.
i hope this clears out your doubts and this info is 100 % correct.

Last edited:
the upcoming 3010 has an extra pair of amp to power up all the 4 height channels

i suspect that with the amp configuration of 3010 you ll still need 2 extra external channels to power all 4 heights

in my never ending quest to find the perfect AVR i demoed a few more last week.

Demo Clip was the opening scene form the Dark Knight.

Demo 7.

Yamaha RX A2010 + B&W CM series

It was the typical Yamaha house sound which i adore. Smooth and easy. Right there but not in your face. Letting you enjoy the sound rather than the forceful delivery of some other bright sounding AVRs.

It was a kind of sound i know and i love. The presentation was on the warm side and with excellent dynamics.

Demo 8.

Pioneer Elite SC 55 ( LX 75 in UK and Asian markets ) + B&W CM series.

Now this is where things got very interesting. my only prior experience with an Pioneer avr was a lower end model and it was quite bright.

This year Pioneer has introduced Class D Amplifier in a new way called the Class D3. They have made several improvements to it. That's just in a nutshell. Fore more details go here... SC-55 - 9.1-Channel Elite A/V Receiver | Pioneer Electronics USA

Anyways coming to the sound. It was just breath-taking. It blew my mind. The same scene with the SC-55/LX 85 was just another experience. I could hear things which i couldn't/didn't hear in the earlier demo.

It was just operating on another level. The whole experience felt more real and atmosphere that the Pioneer created was more electrifying and exciting. I felt more in the movie with the SC 55/LX 75.

I was seriously impressed. I went to the Pioneer India website and couldn't find this model or the SC57/LX 85. Home Entertainment Systems DVD Players, Audio/Video Receivers: Pioneer India

But there are other contenders....

Next stop on the demo tour.... the New NAD T757.

my hunt goes on....

DEMO 9.

Onkyo NR 3008 + NHT Absolute

Demo Clips from "The House of Flying Daggers"

The 3008 is second only to the 5008 in the Onkyo line up so i had great expectations from it. It is huge and looks imposing.

This movie has some great sequences and the 3008 was spot on with the sound. The scale of sound was epic and i was put into the movie by the AVR/Speaker combination.

The daggers were flying in the demo room and the effect and sound separation was unlike i've heard before. I was impressed. I can see why a lot of people love their Onkyos. Though i prefer the warm and more relaxed approach of the Nads and Yamahas of this world.

So even the though the 3008 was superb my flavor is different. Now that i've heard most of the brands it's become even clearer to me as to what kind of sound i like.

The only 3 AVRs that i've left to listen to are the NAD T757, Yamaha RX A3010 and Pioneer LX-SC 85.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back