New AVR upto 80k....?

yes indeed, i visited the excellent lakozy facility a few days back. i'll update here with a detailed review of the demo in a couple of days as currently i'm travelling. :)

The showdown... Yamaha RX V3067 vs NAD T757.

Firstly a Big thanks to our forum members Aminder and Ashish from Lakozy for making this comparison possible. Aminder disconnected his AVR from his perfectly setup 10.2 HT and carried his RX V3067 to Lakozy for this comparison. Ashish, as always the gracious host that he his, on his part allowed his Lakozy facility to be used for the A-B comparison between these two AVRs. :)

My mind always wondered... How will a particular AVR sound with my speakers ? As i approach the final part of my avr search which has been on for a while i had shortlisted 3 AVRs... Yamaha RX V3067/A3010, Pioneer SC LX 85, & NAD T757.

All of them have outstanding reviews and i've demoed all of them albeit with different speakers. So this was a excellent opportunity for me to see which i'd like best with my speakers. The Pioneer SC LX 85 is not available in India so it's not in the race. I spoke to Pioneer on their facebook page and they said they plan to bring it to india soon. :)

That leaves us with the V3067 and T757. The V3067 is Yamaha's last years Flagship and has possibly all the features you'll need and then some features that you will not know exists in there unless you read the manual. Yamaha have truly blessed it with all imaginable bells and whistles that they could have. Yamaha focuses on a Natural Sound and they are well respected and loved the world over for their AVRs. I've been using a Yamaha RX V450 for 6 years and it has served me wonderfully. Once i get a new AVR it'll do duty in my bedroom with my TV. I'll always keep. It's fabulous and sounds Excellent.

The Nad T757 is a newly launched replacement for the T747. The Nad philosophy is Audio First and they believe in less is more and don't put in too many things that are not required. They want to keep it as simple as possible with the entire focus on Sound Quality.

You can see they both approach their goals in a different way from each other.

Speakers were 7.1 with PSB Image B6, C5, S5 + PSB sub to recreate as close as possible combination that i have at home.

Demo clips provided by Ashish were... Tron Legacy, Jodha Akbar, Dark Knight and Rio.

First we played the Yamaha V3067. Aminder set it up and calibrated it. As soon as we played the first scene it was clearly established that the V3067 is worthy of it's Flagship status. It sounded multiple times better than what i have at home with the same speakers. The sound was lively, agile and expansive. The surround effects were steered with authority and the soundtrack enveloped us. It was very energetic as the same time very free flowing. The sound had a very natural feel to it and it flowed effortlessly through the speakers. We were mighty impressed. We could'nt get a chance to try the height speakers though i've heard them at Aminder's house and they sound fabulous adding many more dimensions to the sound and adding a wonderful ambiance.

Next up the T757. We played the same scenes with the NAD. The sound here was totally different from the Yamaha. Whereas the Yamaha had a more natural sound the Nad welcomed us with a more dynamic and richer sound. The sound was more lush with a warmer timbre. We also felt that the dialogue had more weight. The Nad presentation was more tightly knit.

So what were the differences...? I felt the Yamaha had a more airy feel to it with a more vast and expansive sound field. The Nad displayed more authority with a tighter grip on the soundtrack. On one hand the Yamaha displayed a totally natural and easy, free flowing sound and on the other hand the Nad showcased a more vibrant and richer soundtrack.

So is one better than the other....? Now that is totally subjective and dependent on individual tastes. We hear sound so differently from each other that it's impossible to say who will like or prefer what...? Both are excellent sounding with their own individual sound signatures and anyone in the market for either of these two or any other AVRs absolutely must demo with their own ears and preferably with their own speakers to come to their own individual decision.

In the end myself and my brother preferred the NAD. We liked the richness and the warm timbre of the NAD sound. It's difficult for me to explain here in words because sound is so personal and so subjective but i'll try...

Once i heard the NAD sound a couple of years ago through one of their stereo amps( NAD C355BEE ), it has kind of stayed with me in some corner of my mind. Since then i've heard a lot of excellent gear and although they have all impressed me in different ways, none has influenced me like the NAD.

I guess it's the same way people swear by their Marantzs, Niams, Audiolabs, Rotels etc. We all have that one particular brand which registers with us in a way that no other does and for me it's the NAD. :)

Last edited:
Congrats are in order after a long search. Well ranaji what are the damages bro ??? Seeing that the dollar rate has come down somewhat hope Ashish passed on the savings :eek:hyeah::D:clapping:

Re: The showdown... Yamaha RX V3067 vs NAD T757.

NAD T757. I guess it's the same way people swear by their Marantzs, Niams, Audiolabs, Rotels etc. We all have that one particular brand which registers with us in a way that no other does and for me it's the NAD. :)

What did the 757 cost?

Hey Bro,

I knew it will be either Yamaha or NAD :)

congrats !!!..

Congrats are in order after a long search. Well ranaji what are the damages bro ??? Seeing that the dollar rate has come down somewhat hope Ashish passed on the savings :eek:hyeah::D:clapping:

great read rana. I thought I was the only fan boy around :) so is the avr setup at your place?

thanks guys,

my friends, i've only made a purchase decision. Not an actual purchase.

There are a few things playing on my mind which i'm duly considering. I'm keen on room calibration/correction and hence looking at the T757 + AM200 MDC which has the Audyssey MultiEQ XT along with Dynamic EQ, and Dynamic Volume.

Or else i also have my eyes set on the T777 which has all the above inbuilt along with 20 more watts per channels and a few other features.

I'll update here on my next move.

:)

If you want MultiEQ XT I would suggest that you go for the 777 rather than the 757. Well I hope that the 777 makes it to india real fast, the price of the 757 + AM 200 would be around the price of 777. Go for NAD it is one of its kind without all the frills and all muscle where it matters.

Marantz 6006 Question:

The Marantz 6006 says it is a 7.1 AVR. However it says it has an output for a second subwoofer and has MultEQ XT. Hence can each subwoofer be individually controlled?

I want to use this AVR with a 15" front woofer and 10" rear woofer and prefer to limit the output to the 10" woofer so that it is not overloaded.

Anyone aware of NAD's availability at Bangalore? I wonder how does it compare with Marantz.

NAD has a very appealing non-fatiguing sound. I own a NAD T747 as well as an older Marantz slim series amp, also have auditioned some of the recent marantz models - 7005/6006 etc.

I prefer the NAD, though I used to be a Marantz fan!

Having listened to the mid range Denon, Marantz, Yamaha and Onkyo I would definitely say that soundwise NAD is better but ofcourse it costs are also on the higher side with less features which is a call a person has to take.

If you want MultiEQ XT I would suggest that you go for the 777 rather than the 757.

NAD has a very appealing non-fatiguing sound...also have auditioned some of the recent marantz models - 7005/6006 etc.

For the same features NAD costs a fair bit more than Marantz/Denon/Yamaha. Which NAD AVR (757? 777? 747?) would have these features of the 6006 or 3312?
1. Airplay
2. Pass through
3. 7.2 pre amp outs
4. HDMI 1.4a
5. FLAC
6. Dual subwoofers preout
7. Audyssey MultEQ XT

BTW I'm told even the 3312 and 6006 can be "bi-amped" aka use it's rear speakers for the front channels like the 757 and 777. Is this true?

Do any of these AVRs allow us to set different LPFs for the 2 subwoofers? Also do any of these AVRs have a HPF around 20-30hz for the subwoofer (in the old days amps used to have a 'subsonic' HPF that removed very low frequencies to protect loudspeakers from over excursion).

Last edited:
For the same features NAD costs a fair bit more than Marantz/Denon/Yamaha. Which NAD AVR (757? 777? 747?) would have these features of the 6006 or 3312?
1. Airplay Can be added to any NAD AVR with an Airport Express which will just cost 6K
2. Pass through This feature is already there in all NAD AVRs and can be easily set through the PRE SETS
3. 7.2 pre amp outs : Even the entry level 748 has this and there on all the AVRs have it.
4. HDMI 1.4a : Its there by default in all the Newer Models like 748, 757, 777, 787 and 765HD2, 775HD2 and so on. Even an older AVR with MDC design can be upgraded to this version for 42K which is the costs of the MDC 150 Module, also one can have 2 HDMI outs on any MDC enabled NAD AVR by adding MDC 150x Module for 15K along with ethernet control.
5. FLAC : This feature is more Source Dependent
6. Dual subwoofers preout NAD T 765 Onwards has this facility
7. Audyssey MultEQ XT : This feature is present by default in NAD AVR from T775HD onwards but with T757 onwards this is an easy upgrade with MDC AM 200.

BTW I'm told even the 3312 and 6006 can be "bi-amped" aka use it's rear speakers for the front channels like the 757 and 777. Is this true?

Do any of these AVRs allow us to set different LPFs for the 2 subwoofers? Also do any of these AVRs have a HPF around 20-30hz for the subwoofer (in the old days amps used to have a 'subsonic' HPF that removed very low frequencies to protect loudspeakers from over excursion).

I have added the reply in front of the feature requested.

I have added the reply in front of the feature requested.

Thank you Ashish for that detailed response.

SO I'd need to get at least the NAD 765HD2 to get all the features present in the 6006/3312? How much more expensive is the 765?

WHich NAD AVR is in the same price point as the 6006/3312 (about 60-70K).

Well it depends on how you look at it. The sound is something else do try for an audition. Next do you really want those features right now ??? otherwise the better option is to buy a MDC enabled receiver and add cards as per requirement.

I think you can safely choose the 757 which fulfills most of the criteria and add other features as and when you like. A big plus is they can be upgraded to some new codecs that we dont have now at a later date. Lets say future proof !

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back