New Chromecast 4K, better than expected

@ankitbhargava @revolty you could try side loading SmartTubeNext https://github.com/yuliskov/SmartTubeNext#Installation

This blocks ads on youtube and has support for selection of available video resolutions and audio formats for a video. May be this will let you select 5.1 audio?

@revolty You could consider Fire Stick 4k Max too. This has AV1 codec which is mandated by google for future Google certified devices and support for WiFi 6 too. Surprisingly both AV1 codec and WiFi 6 are missing in Chromecast With Google TV
Hi,
Thank you for your feedback. I saw your message very late. Had order Chromecast before. I was already itching to buy it and @ankitbhargava writeup provided the needed catalyst.
Also, there was an article in "What Hi-fi" highlighting the difference in audio quality between Firestick 4k max and Chromecast; as mentioned below:

The real difference for these two in performance terms comes, instead, with the sound they provide. The audio from both is good for the money, but they will appeal to different tastes. The Chromecast has an excellent sense of rhythmic drive. It's precise and clear, and that allows us to pick up on some lovely moments of detail. When streaming music, it sounds crisp.

The Fire Stick isn't quite so good on this front, but it is dynamically superior. There's a better sense of depth to the sound, which adds more feeling to voices and instruments for music.

For the AV experience, that difference translates to more impact and spaciousness to the sound with the Fire TV Stick 4K at the expense of clarity for both dialogue and sound effects. Those who don't mind missing out a touch on the big hits of action films and some of that sense of atmosphere should opt for the Chromecast and never miss a word instead. For pure drama, the Fire TV Stick 4K wins.

**Draw** Both excellent for video. Amazon has a bigger feel to the audio but the Chromecast is clearer and more rhythmic.

Hence, I decided to go ahead with Chromecast.

Hi,
Thank you for your feedback. I saw your message very late. Had order Chromecast before. I was already itching to buy it and @ankitbhargava writeup provided the needed catalyst.
Also, there was an article in "What Hi-fi" highlighting the difference in audio quality between Firestick 4k max and Chromecast; as mentioned below:

The real difference for these two in performance terms comes, instead, with the sound they provide. The audio from both is good for the money, but they will appeal to different tastes. The Chromecast has an excellent sense of rhythmic drive. It's precise and clear, and that allows us to pick up on some lovely moments of detail. When streaming music, it sounds crisp.

The Fire Stick isn't quite so good on this front, but it is dynamically superior. There's a better sense of depth to the sound, which adds more feeling to voices and instruments for music.

For the AV experience, that difference translates to more impact and spaciousness to the sound with the Fire TV Stick 4K at the expense of clarity for both dialogue and sound effects. Those who don't mind missing out a touch on the big hits of action films and some of that sense of atmosphere should opt for the Chromecast and never miss a word instead. For pure drama, the Fire TV Stick 4K wins.

**Draw** Both excellent for video. Amazon has a bigger feel to the audio but the Chromecast is clearer and more rhythmic.

Hence, I decided to go ahead with Chromecast.
My major consumption is from Netflix, Fire TV 4K does not support Atmos on Netflix. That's the turn down.

Finally, I received the Chromecast 4k (CC) yesterday from Flipkart. Their delivery date was one day before. So, I just did some quick setup (which took me almost half hour) around 2 AM in the night.
Since, it was very late; I couldn't check the audio quality clearly. But, CC definitely gave tough competition to my Shield (2017) & MiBox 4K in terms of picture quality and smoothness of the functioning. The picture is so vibrant and rich like. The TV picture settings are exactly the same for all the devices. Yes, I did play some Youtube videos of "4K HDR clips and trailers" and it displayed Dolby 5.1 on my AVR.
I will check the audio quality in detail on this weekend and will update in the thread.

Finally, I received the Chromecast 4k (CC) yesterday from Flipkart. Their delivery date was one day before. So, I just did some quick setup (which took me almost half hour) around 2 AM in the night.
Since, it was very late; I couldn't check the audio quality clearly. But, CC definitely gave tough competition to my Shield (2017) & MiBox 4K in terms of picture quality and smoothness of the functioning. The picture is so vibrant and rich like. The TV picture settings are exactly the same for all the devices. Yes, I did play some Youtube videos of "4K HDR clips and trailers" and it displayed Dolby 5.1 on my AVR.
I will check the audio quality in detail on this weekend and will update in the thread.
Superb! Please do share links of the YouTube videos which showed up 5.1

Probably in near future I will even try that out just for the sake of comparison
So that you know I am serious about my business :D

I am testing FireTV 4K Max now

Could get Atmos on Netflix out of this "Max version". Testing for any sound quality or picture quality differences now.

IMG-20220806-WA0002.jpg

If possible, could you also please test av1 performance for local content via Kodi?

This is the only reason i would choose the FS max over Chromecast, that is if it works.

So that you know I am serious about my business :D

I am testing FireTV 4K Max now

Could get Atmos on Netflix out of this "Max version". Testing for any sound quality or picture quality differences now.

Buddy, you're doing a great job! Please post a detailed report once you're done testing ATV vs Fire Tv vs CC vs Xbox.

Eagerly waiting for a detailed comparison report.

If possible, could you also please test av1 performance for local content via Kodi?

This is the only reason i would choose the FS max over Chromecast, that is if it works.
Sure, I will install Kodi and test it. I use WD home to store my offline content. It's a pain connecting it to anybody streamers.

Hi,
I am sharing the link below:

There are many such video clips of "4K HDR clips and trailers" that played in Dolby 5.1
Not sure whats wrong with my settings. I don't seem to get surround on YouTube

Buddy, you're doing a great job! Please post a detailed report once you're done testing ATV vs Fire Tv vs CC vs Xbox.

Eagerly waiting for a detailed comparison report.
Thanks, shall definitely post.

So far I have been having issues playing At os from FS Max. As soon as the source is Atmos there is no sound. I have tried selecting various "Audio options" like "best available, DD +" and keeping it on "best available" makes the Atmos content mute.

Trying to figure out what's wrong there too. Changed the HDMI port but it couldn't make it work.

Happening with Netflix and Prime App both therefore something is wrong with general settings.

Excellent!! I got fire tv max and when compared with Xbox one s it isn't that great.The sound quality on xbox is very good.
This pars I can confirm with 100 percent confidence. Fire TV Max doesn't even come closer to Xbox anyway as far sound quality on OTT platforms is considered.

I am still to make Atmos work for my Fire TV Max, something wrong with the audio stream .. as soon as Atmos is detected by my Pre-Pro .. the sound is muted and on the display I see the audio stream keep shuffling between Dolby Atmos and Dolby DD+

This pars I can confirm with 100 percent confidence. Fire TV Max doesn't even come closer to Xbox anyway as far sound quality on OTT platforms is considered.

I am still to make Atmos work for my Fire TV Max, something wrong with the audio stream .. as soon as Atmos is detected by my Pre-Pro .. the sound is muted and on the display I see the audio stream keep shuffling between Dolby Atmos and Dolby DD+
Atmos works for me on fire tv max without any issues.Even i have checked on sun NXT where some of there own productions are on Atmos works without any issue.I am using denon x3700 AVR.I left the audio to best options in Fire TV Max.

Atmos works for me on fire tv max without any issues.Even i have checked on sun NXT where some of there own productions are on Atmos works without any issue.I am using denon x3700 AVR.I left the audio to best options in Fire TV Max.
Yes seems like some problem with the compatibility between Tonewinner and Fire TV Max. None other streamers have had this issue with Tonewinner though.

Back