New Desktop option

gobble

Hello

I installed KUbuntu 10.0.4 LTS first thing today morning. It is a wonderful looking platform!!
As slick as Windows 7 and with a little time spent customizing colors and icons you can have a really wonderful looking desktop.

Please try it if you are going to be installing a New OS on your desktop.

Regards

I second the suggestion.

Seriously guys, just like all the pristine equipment & music you own...your operating system also needs that kind of attention & respect. Of course, only if it deserves so. One thing I know is that Microsoft does not.

Just a simple example...when you guys decide to own some audio equipment, you surely don't leave the decision part to the dealer do you ? You take your time, analyze your observations, analyze your options and then take the leap. So, why not so with an Operating System ? Another analogy, when you get your home painted, do you tell the hired people "hey look that's my home, do what you wish, see you later when you are done" ...do you ? No, you sit with them, discuss with them the color schemes & monitor the progress.
And what gobble suggested is one of the numerous choices available to a person, and I feel people should at least try reading up/trying such quality software.

@gobble: Attach some screenshots so that people can also get the visual feel of some open source candy !

Can we load it as an optional OS? I mean selection at booting?

Sure, you need to know how to configure Grub to provide menu for all OS you want to boot. Google is your friend.

10.0.4 was released only on the 29th and boy is it slick! Beats gnome desktop or xfce in the looks department.

Regards

@iaudio: Very much possible. There are numerous ways to do so, just google around a bit or check out Ubuntu's official website, I am sure you'll get all your answers.

Thanks for bringing this up Gobble...How is kubuntu's kde doing? it was kind of unstable a year and half ago....since then I switched to Opensuse KDE..which is more stable on my laptop..now I use KDE 4.3.5...saw a review of 4.4..that rocks even more...btw..plasma simply rocks isn't it?

Iaudio...first download this and install Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Fedora/Opensuse etc...try which one is more liking to you and your system's needs. Once you have one OS on your mind....go with a complete install on HD

You can also try LiveCDs of several Linux Distros without installing the OS on HD actually.

All this will cost you in patience, time, diskspace and bandwidth.....everything else is free:clapping:

Do not worry about configuring grub... linux distros these days are so friendly that they actually do everything that is complex....you just have to select the options thats favorable to you....

difficulty was during the days of Red Hat 7.3.....even before fedora...you have to do everything manually...starting from Bootloader to MP3 in XMMS...now most of the things are automatic...

Do you know?
Your Kerala Govt is using BOSS (Bharat Operating System), a debian based Linux distro developed by CDAC , in all its state departments..I guess even TN also went Opensource....

I hated OpenSuse when I used it last - version 11 I think.

KDE on 10.0.4 and Oxygen theme (customized to taste) is lovely. No issues so far.

Regards

Haha...I hated Opensuse 11.1 when used Gnome...but loved it when I tried Kde on 11.1....recently have installed 11.2...

for me Ubuntu Gnome did rock on my laptop and my colleagues were blown away after I showed them the desktop effects...:lol:

me thinks people distance away from Opensuse for its too geeky UI when compared to Ubuntu as it is a perfect transition distro for MS OS users

I was using Ubuntu 9.x.x.x with WinXP in a dual boot config until recently when I recently installed Win7 as my other OS. I need to install Ubuntu again. Ubuntu is a fantastic OS and like venkus mentioned, these days the installers are so user friendly. I still remember how overjoyed I was the first time I successfully installed Red Hat Linux while I was studying:). Later I figured out an easier way - I used Partionmagic to create the swap and the ext2fs partition and then install was pretty simple. But today, you just need to fill in some info and the installer does everything.

The recent version of Ubuntu/Kubuntu etc. will configure other OS' on the grub automatically. Anyway for people who want to try things out, the Live CD is your best friend.

Gobble the new edition from Fedora too is very good. Even the KDE edition, I mean.

The recent version of Ubuntu/Kubuntu etc. will configure other OS' on the grub automatically. Anyway for people who want to try things out, the Live CD is your best friend.

Gobble the new edition from Fedora too is very good. Even the KDE edition, I mean.

Must be the KDE 4.x developments and enhancements. I have logged on to my pc even though I have pressing work - just to enjoy the look n feel of my new desktop first thing in the morning! And I sat staring and fiddling at it till 1am last night :) As the ad says .. "I'm loving it !!"

Goodbye to the ugly 9.0.4 Gnome/xfce interface !!

Regards

I belatedly found that the Linux community has grandly and proudly released a desktop version in 2010 that does not have a functional network configuration tool. :rolleyes:

In 2010 the grand Linux desktop community is unable to come out with a version that has a working network manager?!!! And they talk about competing with Windows and Mac!!

Not only that, it overwrites any manual changes made to a standard place like in resolv.conf to add DNS servers. My DNS is auto-located each time adding to 2sec latency for every page.

Now I have to recall my original opinion - only the Linux Kernel team and non-desktop utility team deserve any kind of Kudos. Linux thrives because of the solid work and foundations laid by these people. The rest are a bunch of idiots!! When you admire the stability of the Linux platform, the credit is due only to the kernel and console tools team seriously!!

I'm off to file a bug report ..
cheers

Which distribution are you talking about, Gobble?

Every distro I have come across has had some form of network configuration/administration utility. Also it is right only to blame the distribution instead of Linux for this, Gobble. Linux as you say is just the core kernel. The interface in and of itself is an embellishment and the distro is solely responsible for that.

Gobble,

I got a new desktop (Dell Optiplex 780) at my work with Intel quadcore processor, 4 GB DDR3 and 500 GB HDD and Windows 7 pro preinstalled. I was thinking which Linux to install in a dual-boot configuration, and found this Ubuntu 10.04 LTS just released. So I got it installed last week, not the KUbuntu, but the original Ubuntu.

To tell you honestly, I am more than happy. The look and feel is not so important for me, as is the tight integration and functionality. I use TeX/LateX scientific word-processing, Grace graphics package and so on. The "sudo apt-get install" works like a well-oiled machine to install any new package and all this works pretty well, seamlessly. There is no hitch, like some missing libraries etc. I am very familiar with this kind arrangement, because in my Mac, I have used the darwin port facility which works the same way.

So far everything works beautifully. Only little problem I noticed was with opening a pdf file with Adobe reader from Firefox. I installed the Adobe reader 9.3 separately using the apt-get or the Synaptic manager (they are the same, one is from command line, the other is based on muse-clicking). Then I noticed pdfs were not opening from firefox. I ultimately found out that firefox has the adobe reader 9.0 set as default. From firefox preferences I fixed that problem. Another little problem was finding the proper driver for my printer HP Laserjet P3005dn. The driver for the "dn" version was not available. Well the network part I do not care very much because the printer is connected directly with my PC, but the duplex part I care for very much, because it saves a lot of space and paper. Ultimately I settled for a driver for a laserjet 2000 series duplex printer. So far it's working without any visible problem.

I am not a big fan of KDE. I have used it long enough to have gotten bored, I suppose. But I like the Gnome environment on my Ubuntu 10,04 LTS. It's got a low-key but refined look with emphasis on the important buttons, an aspect which is very important for a person with poor eye-sight as me.

I remember I was complaining in this forum some time ago about poor integration of packages in linux distributions. I have been one of the earliest users of linux since 92/93/94 (don't exactly remember). Of late I was using only Suse, and did not try anything beyond SLED 10. But now after installing Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, I must say package integration has come a long way. It also boots extremely fast, as fast as my Mac, and it perhaps shuts down faster than my Mac.

One comment about installing the 64-bit version. I did some research last weekend to find out which one, one should go for. I found discussions on the net that the 64 bit versions of flash players may still have some problems. I chickened out because stability of the system is very important for me, and instead settled for only the 32 bit version. But it probably sees only 3 GB of the 4 GB DDR3 memory installed. That's a pity.

Regards.

Note added later in relation to network conf queries: Well, I had no problem setting up the network. I went to "System" --> "Preferences" and there you find "Network connections" and "Network proxy" and it worked beautifully. The only thing you have to work a little hard for is to get the Synaptic manager/apt-get to work through a proxy server.

Last edited:
Flash works just fine on 64-bit...been using it for quite some time, no stability issues. Of course, I don't work on flash content...just talking about the usage - websites/streaming videos etc.

Asit

I am more than happy with Kubuntu 10.0.4 look and feel and everything except this one major faux-paus. This version of KDE is only the 2nd time I am using KDE. I too did not like it initially, but now I find it a great alternative to Windoze except that full graphics capability will remain compromised until the year end or so when driver development will progress further hopefully. ( Some window animations stutter). I am certain you will prefer this latest version of KDE over Gnome Ubuntu distro.

Its just that this one feature is so very basic - imagine getting a distro in 2010 that does not let you configure itself properly to connect to the Great vast Internet!! The Internet is everything dammit! :eek:hyeah:

My rant was because I have always found decision making about feature/functionality in desktop devel teams to be well umm a little stupid - over the years. I just spend a full 30 mins searching for the version of KDE in 10.0.4 in order to file a bug report!!! And I cannot add my favorite firefox app launcher in the panel for one-click access no matter what I try!

That said, I am still bowled over by this new distro. Its the coolest free thing I have ever installed. Now if only I can find a Linux alternative to iTunes (whatever is does'nt work with 3G), I can be windows free totally!

Regards

Edit: PS: I agree I should not complain when others are doing all the hard work, I do contribute bug reports to help improve the system, but sometimes it gets too much!

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back