New project-TL towers, using Bob Brines plans

Hi

I have taken pictures, but unfortunately my primary system has a mother board problem so I am waiting for it to come back and then download pictures. My back up system is an ancient system, used for email only-not much else is possible. I have completed it, and am planning to wire it up today to a valve amp( had originally planned to connect it to a valve preamp and solid state power amp) and start listening to it tonight.

I will post impressions after listening to it for a few days. I am also planning to wire up one other system this week, after which we can do some auditioning. I am also a bit busy with some commitments, since I plan a longish US trip in about 5 weeks time.

Cheers

George

OK its up and running listening to female vocals, sounds nice, a few small things to do, but I am now going to listenf ro a few days to se if the speakers need to be broken in. In cae anyone wants to audition them over the weekend, do let me know, I can easily do it. I will try and get one more system up by then. I havent connected my sub so far, will do it later tonight.

The amp is Class A 9wpc DHT 2A3 oen and volume is not a probem at all. The sub is a 12 inch homebrew with PRs and drivern by a 175w plate amp.

Cheers

George

OK its up and running listening to female vocals, sounds nice, a few small things to do, but I am now going to listenf ro a few days to se if the speakers need to be broken in. In cae anyone wants to audition them over the weekend, do let me know, I can easily do it. I will try and get one more system up by then. I havent connected my sub so far, will do it later tonight.

The amp is Class A 9wpc DHT 2A3 oen and volume is not a probem at all. The sub is a 12 inch homebrew with PRs and drivern by a 175w plate amp.

Cheers

George

Hi George,

a little bit of single malt from the valley of the deer should go down well tonight:)

Suri

Today was a short trial, I will try and listen as much as possible during the day tomorrow and hope to break out some single malt tomorrow-tonight was only a shot of gin and tonic!

I havent connected [p the sub as yet, and was listenng to music with very little low frequency sound, I will take out some of my reference tracks tomorrow with the sub also wired up to try and benchmark the speakers better.

At this stage all I can say is that to my ear a sub is definitely going to make it sound better, highs are very nice, the sound stage and imaging are good.

George

Hi,

George Hearty Congrats on the completion of the build :clapping: !! I was watching this thread from start and I must say the time you took to finish it is unbelievable :cool:! I have never ever finished any project this fast :p !!

Am certainly coming over :D ! will let you know bout the same later.

Again congrats and have a blast with your latest creation ;)!

Btw although Am visiting and all but I surely like to see the pics of the project from scratch ;) !!

Regards.

Last edited:
Thanks Srkanth! Yes-this was fst even by my usual standards-I normally take about 4-5 months to finish most projects, but the carpenter was fast, I was quite free, and I wasn't doing anything elaborate this time.

Got up early this morning and have been listening to some more music-jazz and female vocals. The right frequencies come out very well, as does detail. I havent checked out bass using stuff like Bela Fleck, havent yet connected my sub yet. I hope I can connect up my dac too-the problem is lack of power points in the vicinity, so I may need to get a power strip to connect up all the devices. I need at least 4-5 points-source, dac, amp( or preamp/power amp), sub.

Haven't had any responses to my invite o audition the gear-hey guys I am ready and willing this weekend.

George

Welcome Sajith- sorry last time I wasnt able to demo anything..

I've had the system running now for about 6 hours listening to music and it does sound better now. I hooked up the sub around mid morning, and it is definitely making a significant difference to my ears :clapping:.

Music played so far: Old Favorites like Carol King, Ella Fitzgerald, Laurie McAllister( great stuff), Enya, Carly Simon. Mostly stuff that is very strong on high frequency.

I plan during the next day or two to start playing jazz instrumental stuff like David Sanborn,Brubeck, Coltrane,and some other stuff, then will move to Pink Floyd, Bela Fleck, BS&T and finally return to Jennifer Warnes, Pat Barber, Eva Cassidy, Carmen MaCrae, Cat Stevens and some others.

After along tim I have dusted out my Onkyo CD changer since I havent been able to connect up my SB. I also have to figure out how to connect up my DAC, not enouhg power points available-hopefully will do that by the end of the day.

George

Update:

Looks like the system is settling down very well, and I am enjoying it so much that I am not in a mood to dust out my other stand mounted two ways. The match with the 2A3 amp is uncanny.

Have been mostly listening to many of my persoanl favourites-instrumental( Sonny Rollins, Coltrane) and female vocals-Eva Cassidy(Songburd and Eva By Heart), Joni Mitchell, Diana Krall (Live in Paris), Don Maclean(American Pie), Simon & Garfunkel, some fusion stuff.

The system has exceeded my expectations, and I will continue to try and break it in more fully-I must have played about 15+ hours of music so far. Hopefully over the course of the next 5-6 days I will rack up some more hours.

I'm hoping to get my computer back with another motherboard soon, either this evening or tomorrow, after which I will post pictures.

Cheers

George

Got my system connected up okay now-NAS, SB3, DAC, amp with FR speakers as well as sub. I did not have drapes initially but after adding the drapes and some more furniture, it is now sounding very nice.

I'm hoping to try and get at least one of my stand mounted monitors up and running before going to Calcutta on Thursday, let's see.

George

Got my system connected up okay now-NAS, SB3, DAC, amp with FR speakers as well as sub. I did not have drapes initially but after adding the drapes and some more furniture, it is now sounding very nice.

I'm hoping to try and get at least one of my stand mounted monitors up and running before going to Calcutta on Thursday, let's see.

George
howboutsomepicturesbeforeyouleave?:)

I ws planning to audition the systems yesterday with a couple of guys on the forum .I thought I would ask them to take photos since I seem to have a problem.Let me see if I can do something.

George

Hi George,

Congratulations on your build of the TL speakers. These cabinets really help extract the most out of the Fostex drivers.

Settle down now for some break-in time!

Regards,
Viren

Hi Viren

Yes, I agree the sound is very nice, and I was lucky that my Joplin amp matched very well with them. I want to play around and see how the Sophia EL 34s sound, might do that today.

I have been doing some intensive listening since last week-how many hours should I plan for breaking them in fully? They do sound a lot better now that a week ago. I'm listening right now to some Carmen McRae, listened to a lot of Carole King yesterday.

I'm hoping to listen to your speakers at Mahiruha's place next weekend.

Cheers
George

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back