New Tannoy build

.. I am currently restoring a pair of Klangfilm amps. monoblock EL 34, rescued from the scrap heap, that I was fortunate enough to stumble across. These have seen better days and the restoration process is hugely assisted by the amount of information available on the net. Klangfilm(German for Sound and Cinema) was Siemens Germany's cinema equipment label back in the day.

Amazing find !Klangfilm as a brand is something which Thomas Schick also seems to love .. He uses a pair of their open baffle speakers himselves .. The German Altec Voice of the theater apparently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

George, you are on a roll:)

Next time I am in Bangalore, I know where to park myself:)

George-da, what have you done to cover the front? It looks lovely, but I can't quite figure out how you did it. I find this part so confusing that I prefer to keep my speaker fronts naked. :(

Speakers look awesome George. They must be sounding excellent as well:thumbsup::
Cheers,
Sid

tcpip:

Put a grill similar to the original GRF Rectangular enclosure's front grill. The grill frame is of plywood, and covered with semi transparent cloth. This is the first time that I have built speakers with grills.

My first impressions:

Having listened to it fairly intensively now for a week or more, I must say that it does sound very nice. The bass( being a folded horn) is definitely up to expectations, and both mids and highs are also more than satisfactory. I listened to a variety of music-Queen, Eva Cassidy, Lionel Ritchie, Herbie Hancock, Josh Redman, Simon and Garfunkel, Neil Diamond, among others and the sound signature of these speakers is growing on me. The flavor is a bit different from my Altecs and Scanspeaks. I owe a lot to a friend who helped me get this build completed-without his help and access to his highly skilled carpenters I would not have even attempted such a complex build. The speakers are powered by my Welborne Labs ST 70, and EL 34 pp amp. I plan to use other amps like my Hiraga and Sophia's over the next month or two, as well as carry out some tweaks. Will report after that.

George .... If you are allowed to keep only Altec 515/416 or Tannoys which one will keep for long term hearing ??? Do not tell both..

Srini

You've put me on the spot. I think the 515/288 combo as heard in Rajiv's house is very, very good. The combo of SET, room and alnico is,IMHO, what makes it so good. My EL 34s sound better on the Tannoys. While the Altecs at my place may need to be matched with another amp to bring out the best in them, I will wait for you to come, listen and make the final determination-That's called passing the buck!

That's a tough decision like a Audi vs BMW :) hope you don't get into a situation where you have to choose !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with these large enclosures is that they limit your flexibility. I was using my SS MTMs for HT, with a narrow form factor making things easy, spacewise. Now that I
m shifting the Altecs for HT duty they are a bit too big and heavy for comfort. Anyway having bitten the bullet, I really don't have a choice.

But, in answer to your question, thankfullyI don't see myself being in a situation, as yet, where I have to choose either or!

George,

Congratulations!

A little late on this party but man those are some good looking speakers!
Definitely would like to come over and have a listen.

Other than your favorite EL34 tubes you might be tempted to wander into flea watt amp territory with these beauties.
Check the "scrap heap" for some nice tubes that will match.

Regards.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back