No online music stores in India?

Another point to add: how many songs in an album/CD is worth listening for the money you spent? especially with the new generation craps. If I download 100 songs, only 5 -10 will be of my liking (melody and some fast numbers). Others i delete without any feeling. Sometimes I had to delete an entire album. As a result I am not interested in spending my money for CDs. (I had only one genuine CD in my home - that too from 1992:D). If possible I download FLAC or 320 kbps mp3s. This is one reason i like my pc for music listening. I can listen to whatever track i like in any order. Yes, you may call me a music pirate:eek:hyeah:.

Very well siad - Most Music and Cinema from the new generation is crap and so dont buy them just download them - whether its legal or illegal download is upto you :lol::eek:hyeah:

Very well siad - Most Music and Cinema from the new generation is crap and so dont buy them just download them - whether its legal or illegal download is upto you :lol::eek:hyeah:

i believe most audiophiles would actually buy music than download from torrents but thanks to this insanely difficult and expensive process of buying music we have pirates even among the most ardent music fans.

even if the prices were at a premium level say the international rate of $0.99 (around 44 bucks now, right?) a track, it would still attract loads of buyers. a killer deal would be to price indian tracks at 10 bucks and international ones at 20 bucks.

True!! I have been trying to buy cds from here but the variety is so less.. No bands get featured on websites either.. I on my personal note would want to give some thing back to the great Musicians who have given me great Music by buying what they've released.. But the whole thing doesnt work out here.. 90% of the time I end up downloading some sort of torrent..

Thats the sad reality..

well its a reality which all shiver but theres also another side to it. i being in the industry know it very well that these very musicians and others give it to the pirate market and earn from there. cause they know piracy will happen so why not earn from that.
but mind you i am not saying that hungama.com does it. i have worked with them and no they dont do it.
but this is still happening.

moreover a lot and i really min a big load does never get released in india or aisan countries. so that leaves us with no other option but downloads. eg. gothic rock genre. you can count on one hand the albums that are there in the indian market.

i download flacs which i listen through my pc or media player. otherwise i convert them to wma files (yes you can still get that quality), burn them on mosear baer platinum discs and vola i am there.

@amit

Entire albums mate. No option to select tracks.

@denzong

Thanks for the link. Raaga and music world online have some great collections too. But no western music at all.

FYI Raaga is also owned by Hungama. also any song you find which is on Hungama website and other websites (legally) then its given by hungama only as they have global digital rights. so forget other sites. just head there for indian content

Last edited:
FYI Raaga is also owned by Hungama. also any song you find which is on Hungama website and other websites (legally) then its given by hungama only as they have global digital rights. so forget other sites. just head there for indian content

Thanks again. Didn't know that.

Downloaded a few tracks via outright purchase on the 99 super value pack. But audio quality is just way too bad at 128kbps. I dont really have a great pair of earphones but even on the bundled earphones of galaxy s the audio quality difference is really apparent compared to 192kbps. Also most tracks have zero id3 tags. I'd expect that from a paid download portal.
I have sent them a mail regarding this. At the moment hungama isn't really my best buddy yet. Not really spending anything more on hungama unless they offer better features, audio quality wise.

Point is I tried. I'm willing to spend more money than they are charging for better quality tracks. But thats about as far as I'm willing to go. I'm the customer! I'm supposed to be the one being served.

Last edited:
OT :)

We are currently doing a project for an online regional assamese music store. Website is Welcome to Future Sounds - Assamese Music Portal

We would love to hear feedback on the website from an end-user perpective, things that we can improve and make it user-friendly.

Please remember that the the project is completely inhouse and I am developing the website based on my nil professional web designing experience. I recently took up this hobby of web designing and currently trying to learn the tricks of the trade. The website is based on joomla and we are trying to use only free applications to minimise the cost.

We plan to offer digital downloads to the customer at 128kbps which will be a complete album in a zip format. Current mode of payment will be offline through NEFT post which download will be activated.

We have also included playlist to listen to sample songs which can be seen from the featured albums.

Good initiative, but 128 KBPS is a bit too low...

We are currently doing a project for an online regional assamese music store. Website is Welcome to Future Sounds - Assamese Music Portal

We would love to hear feedback on the website from an end-user perpective, things that we can improve and make it user-friendly.

Please remember that the the project is completely inhouse and I am developing the website based on my nil professional web designing experience. I recently took up this hobby of web designing and currently trying to learn the tricks of the trade. The website is based on joomla and we are trying to use only free applications to minimise the cost.

We plan to offer digital downloads to the customer at 128kbps which will be a complete album in a zip format. Current mode of payment will be offline through NEFT post which download will be activated.

We have also included playlist to listen to sample songs which can be seen from the featured albums.

This is welcome project. Hope you guys incorporate more albums soon.

Anyway, same problem here, 128 kbps isnt really something people enjoy nowadays. Yes there are broadband issues, but please remember people with broadband issues arent probably ur target customers anyway who will pay you via NEFT. At least a 192kbps would be great.

We are offering 128kbps at this initial stage, since we are currently using shared webhosting with limited space :eek: and we want to see the demand and response of the website.

If we get a good response and customers request more higher quality mp3, we will definitely provide higher bitrate mp3s.

I think people willing to pay for downloads will be looking for only high quality audio and broadband bandwidth won't be a problem to them. So 256 kbps aor 320 kbps is recommended. Otherwise they will also be forced to become pirates.

I think people willing to pay for downloads will be looking for only high quality audio and broadband bandwidth won't be a problem to them. So 256 kbps aor 320 kbps is recommended. Otherwise they will also be forced to become pirates.

+1. exactly

My two paise - you could follow the pricing model followed by some Russian sites. Charge people for bandwidth. In other words, charge less for a 128kbps and charge more for a 320kbps mp3 (or better still, FLAC) but provide both options. Your expense at the end of the day is your bandwidth usage so you might as well translate that directly into your pricing model.

IMHO, you only need these two options - people will either want 128kbps due to space/speed constraint reasons, or they will want the best possible quality, which will be a FLAC or 320kbps mp3.

One more thing: You might be better off not zipping your files. mp3 is already a highly compressed format and zipping will not give you any additional benefit. Instead, it will make it more painful for users who will have to unzip the files before they can use it. Zipping files also prevents users from directly playing the files from an internet enabled media device.

Thanks. We will plan to keep 2 options- 128 kbps and 320kbps. The reason why we wanted to start with 128kbps, the demand for our regional music is very less and people will be more than happy with 128kbps which is also not available online.

As regards zipping the files, since we plan to offer complete album downloads instead of individual tracks, therefore we thought zipping the files would be best option and the only option we can think of currently using our limited resources and applications of joomla.

Thanks. We will plan to keep 2 options- 128 kbps and 320kbps. The reason why we wanted to start with 128kbps, the demand for our regional music is very less and people will be more than happy with 128kbps which is also not available online.

As regards zipping the files, since we plan to offer complete album downloads instead of individual tracks, therefore we thought zipping the files would be best option and the only option we can think of currently using our limited resources and applications of joomla.

That's incredible! Keep up the hard work man. We'll be there for u if u look after us :)

My two paise - you could follow the pricing model followed by some Russian sites. Charge people for bandwidth. In other words, charge less for a 128kbps and charge more for a 320kbps mp3 (or better still, FLAC) but provide both options. Your expense at the end of the day is your bandwidth usage so you might as well translate that directly into your pricing model.

IMHO, you only need these two options - people will either want 128kbps due to space/speed constraint reasons, or they will want the best possible quality, which will be a FLAC or 320kbps mp3.

One more thing: You might be better off not zipping your files. mp3 is already a highly compressed format and zipping will not give you any additional benefit. Instead, it will make it more painful for users who will have to unzip the files before they can use it. Zipping files also prevents users from directly playing the files from an internet enabled media device.

Awesome suggestion!

To update everyone:

We are almost done with the website project.

Assamese Music Portal ! Digital MP3 Music Store, Download and listen to free assamese songs, album of Bhupen Hazarika, Jayanta Hazarika, Dwipen Baruah, Pulak Banerjee, Zubeen Garg, Dikshu, Simanta Sekhar, Kallol Borthakur, Krishnamoni Nath, Krishnamo

Its an online Assamese music portal/store offering digital downloads. We have blog section along with a community discussion section called The Green Room :)

We have Ccavenue payment gateway for netbanking/debit cards and 2checkout for credit cards. We have started offering MP3 in 256Kbps after getting feedback.

Do visit the site, check the main banner and let us know what you think. Like the page on facebook if you think it deserves it :)

Last edited:
I opened the link. There was a pop-up about facebook 'like'. I closed the site immediately. There maybe a lot more people like me who don't like forced pop-ups.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back