No PUNCH in Onkyo 606 + Jamo S606 Combination

KBS

Hi,

I have recently bought & installed Onkyo 606 + Jamo S606 (with SUB 200) combination. But I am totally disappointed with sound quality of same. It does not even match iPod or my Kenwood Car Stereo. I have tried Audyssey setup many times with several placements. With Audyssey EQ Settings it makes too much of boomy bass which literally pains my ears & I get headache. And With EQ off and manual settings (tried some combinations) I don't the hear the PUNCH, that I always wanted; especially bass sounds feeble.

Please help me with good EQ, Tone & Calibrations Settings which gives me tight bass & details without compromising on overall Sound Quality.

Thanks in Advance.

KBS

Guess its time for a sub upgrade.
Spot on unleash_me. Even I think the Sub 200 is the culprit.

As I type this, I am listening to 2.1 using my Jamo Sub 200. For the first time in three years of ownership of the sub, I hooked up my sub and Jamo E570 speakers. IMO, 2.0 sounds much much better. The Sub 200 is Jamo's entry level sub and more suitable for movies. Bass is not tight and is very boomy like you have mentioned. Even I need to upgrade. Infact I need to upgrade more than just my sub:(

KBS, I am currently using a 5.1 for movies. I would like to try using two subs in my HT by splitting the LFE signal using a 'Y' splitter. If you don't mind would you be able to bring your sub to my place? I can pick you up and drop you along with the sub after I have tried this.

Last edited:
kbs: u shud have auditoned before buying
606 is an under powered AVR , crapy for music, so are all AVRs
have heard the sub200 @ santoshs place in 5.1 set up it was sounding quiet good
as spirivorus has said adding a stereo amp will bring life to it

As I type this, I am listening to 2.1 using my Jamo Sub 200. For the first time in three years of ownership of the sub, I hooked up my sub and Jamo E570 speakers. IMO, 2.0 sounds much much better. The Sub 200 is Jamo's entry level sub and more suitable for movies. Bass is not tight and is very boomy like you have mentioned. Even I need to upgrade. Infact I need to upgrade more than just my sub:(

KBS, I am currently using a 5.1 for movies. I would like to try using two subs in my HT by splitting the LFE signal using a 'Y' splitter. If you don't mind would you be able to bring your sub to my place? I can pick you up and drop you along with the sub after I have tried this.

santosh plzzzzzz get one solid sub ,that will be much better then 2 subs with y splitter

kbs: u shud have auditoned before buying
606 is an under powered AVR , crapy for music, so are all AVRs
have heard the sub200 @ santoshs place in 5.1 set up it was sounding quiet good
as spirivorus has said adding a stereo amp will bring life to it

I use onkyo 606 for 2 channel music with Jamo 606, man it is not that bad....no one had really said anything so bad about my setup (even our guru Venkatcr had visited once), sub200 is boomy and i use only when i watch movies, for music i feel the bass delivered by Jamo fronts is more than enough.

I use onkyo 606 for 2 channel music with Jamo 606, man it is not that bad....no one had really said anything so bad about my setup (even our guru Venkatcr had visited once), sub200 is boomy and i use only when i watch movies, for music i feel the bass delivered by Jamo fronts is more than enough.

dont get upset ramesh :lol:, this includes my AVR(875) too

i recomend you to give a listen to some stereo amps

Hello KBS,
I have onkyo TxSR 705 coupled with Jamo S606 HCS3.Well So farmovie watching goes I am more than satisfied with it. I would recommed you get descent speaker cables at least for the front channels which you can find in the forum. Also since these speakers are rear ported it is advisable to keep them at least 3 ft from the wall to give them sufficient breathing space. You might need to play around with the subwoofer db settings after you are done with the audessey calibration. I can assure its not that bad a set up but its certainly not the best.
Thanks.

Thank you all for your replies

I had a feeling that "It's not the best but It's not bad as well" till it's installed at my place. Now, I don't know what's going wrong here, I feel like something is missing in music; The fast & energetic numbers doesn't thrill. I don't hear that small echo in Ghatam in "Gopalaka Phahimam".

I am hoping that the minor adjustments (Like EQ Settings, Frequency Ranges, Calibrations, Tone Level, Speaker Placements) will do some magic.

Please share your settings.

Sure, Please PM your mobile number.

What Subhash is saying is true. Stereo on a pre-power combo is anyday better. You should try it once if you haven't already. I go through a 3 minute circus of changing spk wires every time I switch between by movie and stereo setup(My AVR does not have Pre-out). Believe me, it is worth the circus:).

santosh plzzzzzz get one solid sub ,that will be much better then 2 subs with y splitter
Sumit suggested to do this with 2 identical subs. Just want to try out and learn.

Sure, Please PM your mobile number.
Thanks KBS. You have a PM:)

Last edited:

I had a feeling that "It's not the best but It's not bad as well" till it's installed at my place. Now, I don't know what's going wrong here, I feel like something is missing in music; The fast & energetic numbers doesn't thrill. I don't hear that small echo in Ghatam in "Gopalaka Phahimam".

I am hoping that the minor adjustments (Like EQ Settings, Frequency Ranges, Calibrations, Tone Level, Speaker Placements) will do some magic.

Please share your settings.

spkr placement / room acoustics / change in inter connects and spkr cables will definetly help in refinement of sound for music
EQ settings /audessy set up /other calibrations will only degrade the SQ for music, these settings in the avr tend to make music sound further lifeless, as u have rightly said above (something missing, no thrill)

advice you to connect a stereo amp (u cud borrow it from a frnd jst for trail, if u dont have one) to the same set of spkrs and chk it out

Last edited:

On the side, curious - whose remix of "Gopalika Phahimam" do you have? I have the fusion one by Mahesh Vinayakram and party ... :)

Cheers

Hi,
Even i Bought Onkyo 606 & had the same experience & later on i bought Denon 1610 which has got upconversion after researching a lot on AV recievers and also the service backup is excellent the profx showroom of hyderabad.
Contact det:Mr.Chandra shekar PROFX Hyd -9396556197
Hope you will find a soln...
all the best.

Hello KBS,
I have onkyo TxSR 705 coupled with Jamo S606 HCS3.Well So farmovie watching goes I am more than satisfied with it. I would recommed you get descent speaker cables at least for the front channels which you can find in the forum. Also since these speakers are rear ported it is advisable to keep them at least 3 ft from the wall to give them sufficient breathing space. You might need to play around with the subwoofer db settings after you are done with the audessey calibration. I can assure its not that bad a set up but its certainly not the best.
Thanks.

Hope Denon 1610 from Profx (they r the dist for india they can give u best disc)will work.

Hi,
Even i Bought Onkyo 606 & had the same experience & later on i bought Denon 1610 which has got upconversion after researching a lot on AV recievers and also the service backup is excellent the profx showroom of hyderabad.
Contact det:Mr.Chandra shekar PROFX Hyd -9396556197
Hope you will find a soln...
all the best.

Hey, Isnt it a downgrade of your AVR? I think 1610 doesnt have HD support (audio).

an avr is meant to deliver in 5.1 , which it sure does
but it is sad with stereo/music
enjoy 5.1 untill your ears crave for more
so no point in complaining abt music playback with avr

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back