Norge 1000 - Repairs and Modifications

laksh

Hello All,

I bought Norge 1000 amplifier and New Millenium speakers set last year Jan/Feb for around 27,000 Rs including remote. Connected to Phillips DVD Player it sounds good,clear and is a value for money product. I wanted a professional amp that sounded crystal clear at low volumes, had a hefty budget but settled for Norge.

Being electronically curious and hobbyist I had to open it to see why the heatsink got hot quickly and replaced it with a large 6mm thick copper plate, the length of the amp at the back to which I fused the aluminium heatsink with thermal paste and bolts. It works fine. The copper plate itself takes very long to get warm and I hardly keep the volume beyond 10 'O' clock as I have it in my bedroom. It only gets tested/noticed when old trance music is played.

Something has gone wrong with it now. The only incident I remember that happened was that the volume control was mistakenly turned to the max position and without noticing I had powered on the amp and with the DVD playing classical music, sent a blast of energy out of the speakers momentarily before I immediately shut off the amplifier. The volume control gave away long back as it sends background noise when turned.

After this episode, I noticed, the amp lost its balance and the left channel sounded more than the right channel. I had to wire and connect the tone defeat points on the pre-amp pcb to correct this. The bass control knob also appeared faulty as it lost its finesse when turned which I replaced with a locally purchased Rs.45 B100K pot. However the amp is not sounding the same but it plays.

I do not know how to check each component to figure out which one is faulty though I have a digital multimeter nor there are any visible faults/burns but I suspect something may have gone faulty in the power filter pcb or the pre-amp pcb.

I had ordered for 3 opamps LME49990 MA and a Bourns pot 1822848 (to replace the lesser bass pot) from kitsnspares today which I will get in two weeks time. I heard a lot of positive liking towards 49990 and hence wanted to try it on the pre-amp.

I am also considering to join a group buy for the Pass B1 preamp kit to replace the pre-amp section for much clearer and great music. It is a very exiting project and I keep reading about its progress on this forum. Great job all.

I can only find minimal time on weekends to support my electronics hobby.

I am thinking what else to do. If any one can please provide some advice, I would immensely appreciate your help.

Best Regards,
Laksh

Hi laksh,

The 49990 OPAMP IC is a mono IC and is not a dropin replacement for the stock TL072 opamp IC in the Norge 1000, which is dual. If you want a big improvement in the sound quality, replace the stock pre-amp of this amp, with the Super simple pre-amp made by sachu_888 of this forum. I myself have done this to a couple of Norge amps and all the owners are more than happy with it.

Use the 49990(2 nos) with a adopter in the SSP Pre-amp, but you will lose the bass and treble controls on your pre-amp but the improvement in SQ is more than worth it.

N.Murali

Thanks Murali. I did not know that these mono ICs cannot be simply replaced. On using an adapter, I ran across browndog adapters, links below, hopefully these are the ones you are referring to but I am not sure which one to pick and was also thinking if you know these are available locally to avoid international shipping charges. Else I may have to DIY this; quite tough?

1. DIP8 to SO8 Adapter (p/n 031101B)

2. Single-to-dual Op-Amp Adapter (p/n 020302A)

3. Single-to-dual Op-AMP Adapter - DIP version (p/n 021001)

Yes, thanks a lot for the direction. I will seek help from Sachin for the Super Simple Pre-amp. For powering the SSP, can I use the existing torroidal filtered power supply to the stock preamp? I think it is around 15 volts.

Also, do you think these 49990's with adapters (6 Nos) will work on the Norge stock pre-amp too?

Thank you AudioDoc. Your Norge 1000 mods are great, very inspiring.

Kind Regards,:)
Lakshmidhar

Attachments

• single-to-dual-op-amp-adapter-dip-version.jpg
    single-to-dual-op-amp-adapter-dip-version.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 203
  • DSC01072.jpg
    DSC01072.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 203
Hi laksh,

Item No.2 will be suitable and I think they are readily available with sachin.

Contact him.

N.Murali

Thanks Murali. I have made contact with Sachin for the SSP kit.
If I wish to keep the tonal controls and change the opamps with 6nos
49990's using single to dual adapters will it still work on the Norge stock pre-amp? Would it be worth the effort/money?

Regards,
Laksh

Hi Laksh,

Do not Change the opamps in the Norge Pre, just replace the Pre-amp ckt in total, the change you will get is more worth than losing the Bass & Treble control. Of course use 49990 in the SSP Pre-amp.

N.Murali

Agreed. The stock pre-amp anyways is an Elliot design, no offense. Once I recieve the SSP kit and opamps I will get going.

Also, I would like to put both these - Soft Start & Speaker Turn-On Delay and DC Protector Boards in my Norge 1000. Probably, these should have been there by default.

I found them on the DIYAUDIO store Soft Start & Speaker Turn-On Delay and DC Protector Boards (Set of 2 boards) - PCBs

but would like to know if there is one of our own versions used by anyone here?

@AudioDoc - I notice you have used a speaker protection board or which one is it?

Regards,
Laksh

Last edited:
It is a cheap and effective solution from ebay for around 500 bucks, Lately Mr. Shyam Bajaj of Norge has incorporated a similar one by default in the new units.

Thanks AudioDoc. Please post link if you have.

Hi Murali: I heard from Sachin that the LME49990's may run very hot on +/-15volts supply. The SOIC adapter design I am receiving does not allow for tiny heatsink for the opamps. Can we reduce the voltage to say 9 volts? How would you deal with this? Also will the dual voltage requirement of SSP be taken care of?
I am ready to go for a separate power supply (transformer with filter) if required. Please advice.

Thanks,
Laksh

The Norge has dual voltage requirements of its own. The transformer has separate secondary windings which go to the supply board and are regulated using 7815 and 7915 transistors giving a regulated +-15v. You can add a small PCB with 7809 and 7909 and a pair of capacitors to reduce it further to +-9v. Transformer, bridge rectifier will not be required as you can tap the same from the regulated supply.

After all the weeks and little time spent to fix this amp, I have been able to get it working with the SuperSimple Pre-Amp and a 50K pot. Thanks to Sachin for the kit and it still carries the scent of perfumed package.
Initially I used two 9 volt batteries but later I dared to connect 15volt secondary power supply from the toroid to the pre-amp and all has been working find till date with the LME49990 in all its splendour sounding excellent.

I still have to somehow figure a way to install the motorised pot that came with the Norge amp to the SSPreamp. I got lost in the pins and could not figure out correct connections to make this pot working. I would like to have this working because if it works I can use their remote to control volume and is very handy.
If someone can guide me pot pin to pcb hole (on the SSP board) in order, I would be able to make the connections accordingly and see if it works.

I am attaching pictures of my Norge 1000 Concerto Gold amp.

Attachments

• norgeSSP.jpg
    norgeSSP.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 65
  • vol.jpg
    vol.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 64
  • vol2.jpg
    vol2.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 64
  • vol4.jpg
    vol4.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 65
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back