Norge Millenium bought, 2060 not in stock

Santy

Note : I have not heard many stereo set-ups and I am probably not eligible to write any reviews. Cost of this purchase is again puny and audition time is less to write a proper review but this is just an experience or first impressions I wish to share here. Read only if you have patience. :p

In an attempt to plunge into the stereo HiFi world, ignoring the warnings from my home minister not to buy anything new, and after receiving no response for wanted ad, I decided to get a new Norge combo. I called up Norge and was surprised to hear Mr Bajaj himself on phone. It became obvious that its a one man show. I met him at his factory for an audition/ purchase though I know the amp 2060 was not in stock.

It was surprising to see a man so simple and accessible despite being renowned. It was good to see him quite dynamic even at an age of 76(!).

He first asked me which genre of music I preferred and I said nothing specific, he can just play some bollywood music. He loaded a disc on his Philips CD player and cranked up the volume to 10o clock on the amp placed in the centre stage.

Now I realise that I am not anywhere close to being amazed by the output- its probably I had lot of expectations or probably I had underestimated my existing HT setup. What I immediately realised is the lack of lows and highs at normal volumes, I mean real lows and like those < 60Hz and sizzles > 10ks. But it was the mids, lower and upper mids that were very much emphasised. The bass was rather tight as per my preference and the reproduction of instruments like flute, tabla and guitar was very close to natural. CD was changed and the volume was raised, then things get a bit improved but then the clarity / separation seems to go for a toss. I asked him why it is so, he told that the recording was 15 years old. So I sit back and listen more. The soundstage is fairly big and it was fun to listen when there are few instruments playing. There was no distortion whatsoever at high volumes (checked till 2o clock). But when there are many instruments the sound becomes a bit congested that you get the urge to turn down the volume knob. It is no match for my existing setup in the bass and treble department but in plus or minus midrange, Millennium wins by a big difference. Overall, it was an OK feeling I got with the audition and since I had to plug the vacuum of mids of my setup I had to go for it.

I thought that it may probably cost much much more to buy what I have in mind so I asked for price. He said it is Rs. 12k and the amp was quoted at Rs. 8750 and Mr Shyam Bajaj has no interest to heed to negotiations. I had an option to audit the wharfs which was not far away in terms of cost but in terms of distance, it was. I did not have time left and I cannot afford another day away from office! I also have that bad habit that after I set out to buy something I never come back empty handed. So the speakers that were on the stands ended up in my car ( I knew I am given demo piece after the billing was done - no concession was given- hmmm).

Contd...

Last edited:
Then I had a chat with him about his journey and it was rather interesting. When asked, he told that Norge is spelt as Nor as in Norway and ge as in Algae; in Norwegian language it means the natives of Norway. He nowadays has got lot of work pressure which he cannot or which he should not handle at this age. Obviously, when you have to coordinate with 48 vendors who supply the amp. parts, logistics, purchase and inventory are going to be difficult. He explained why he has increased the price of amp and speakers- inflation (probably brand reputation too). He had a backlog of a dozen orders for the amps and with 3 people working, absence of even one contributes to backlog.

The drivers of Millennium are manufactured by a Dutch company Wavecor in China. You can read more reviews here. l He told that the speaker box ise made with 18mm thick MDF which is not the case with even Wharfs. For amps, he uses the finest quality products and there is no compromise made. Mr Shyam believes brand can be made only with quality. He also promised charge-free service for both amp and speakers.

When asked why he does not expand his facility, he blames it on age and time. But I personally feel, though it is too late now, he should have expanded his vision and amplified his business. Probably he did not really have the fervour to make millions.

He used to visit Hifivision.com and he has an idea of what we are discussing. He said he sometimes is pestered by wanne be audiophiles with too much of irrelevant questions and those coming for audition spending 3-4 hours..! Before leaving, he asked me to write a review without knowing that I really cannot!

Contd...

Back at home, instead of waiting for the amp to open up the speakers, I connected them to my Philips LX600 receiver and played some FLAC files through WDTV. The receiver outputs a 100w through its class-D digital amplifier with a 96khz, 24 bit sampling. It was so dull that the sound from speakers did not even carry for 4 feet. I felt a gaping hole created in the lows and highs leading to total disappointment. When I increase the sound the speakers becomes noisy. Yes its the awkward combination. I should have known that my receiver is not ideal to handle these speakers; must be something to do with impedance?

Nevertheless, when I connected the satellites and the sub, the performance got a big leap giving me hopes that my home theatre is not bad after all. I also played Vande Mataram on my DVDp and the output was almost same, as in both the cases (WDTV/DVDp) I used digital output and left the receiver to do the d/a job. When I played 300 in WDTV, the movie really came to life. The scene I watched was the Persians face off with Spartans for the first time near the tunnel. I can feel the difference Millennium could create, as it is very strong in mids which my centre satellite cannot deliver. I realise that I cannot really connect the new speakers for movies unless I balance it with a matching centre speaker.

So as far as music goes, I am waiting for another 7 days till the Norge amp becomes available. Till then I am keeping myself opened for other options in wanted section! Thanks for reading.

This is the audition room. You can't find the millenium though, as it was packed before this shot. Sorry for the crapy pic.

23092010001.jpg

Back at home, instead of waiting for the amp to open up the speakers, I connected them to my Philips LX600 receiver and played some FLAC files through WDTV. The receiver outputs a 100w through its class-D digital amplifier with a 96khz, 24 bit sampling. It was so dull that the sound from speakers did not even carry for 4 feet. I felt a gaping hole created in the lows and highs leading to total disappointment. When I increase the sound the speakers becomes noisy. Yes its the awkward combination. I should have known that my receiver is not ideal to handle these speakers; must be something to do with impedance?

Yes maybe
Your receivers specs care hazy..100 W at which fequency band? THD is not even meant. BTW this is in line with most of the htib ....i mean sony too claims very high doubtful rms.

also speakers impedance of your AVR is just 3 ohms which maybe too low to drive your speakers ....experts your views please

I first say sorry for giving my impressions about the speakers by testing it with a stupid combination. I found the reason why I cannot see the speakers' capacity.

The receiver is tuned for a 3ohm speaker though rating is 100w rms. Last night I connected one of the Norge speakers to the sub output, oh boy I was surprised. The norge delivered a bass comparable to my philips sub with 6.5" driver. Absolutely no distortion even though the speaker was not designed to handle a sub-woofer output. Impressive! The speaker cone movement was a treat to the eyes as well. I did not check with higher volumes though, as I feared it could damage the tweeter in millenium speakers.

I am waiting for a used NAD from a fellow member to reach me. Only then I can see the actual performance of the speakers.

Unfortunately, NAD is not an amp that would give you the excitement you are looking for. I would be happy to be proved wrong here though.
I would have taken a Marantz.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back