Norge Reference 2000 Stereo Amplifier

Do you know who needs that advice the most? Obviously you don't. That's why you created a new ID to post on this thread. So you may live with your own assumptions and keep comparing a sub INR 10k product with a USD 30k product rest of your life. Good luck to you and likes of you.

Created a new ID to post on this thread?? Likes of you?? Showing us some more of your intelligence?

You still don't get the point, do you? You're way too smart for all of us. Therefore, as soundsgreat suggested, I give up and am pulling the plug on this thread too. You can still have the last word if you want, I already unsubscribed.

Hi,

Mr Shyam Bajaj suggested I go for the Norge 2000 Mosfet amp to drive my Sonodyne Sonus 2605 floorstanders.

My questions

1. How is the low frequency reproduced? Is the bass good?
2. How many inputs? Can the RCA inputs be improved?
3. Can it take a subwoofer tomorrow? Is it a 2-channel or a 2.1 channel amp?

I also have the option of Yamaha AX 497 (16.5 K) and the SOnodyne pre and power separates (25 K)... while the Norge 2000 is only 10.5 K.

very tough decision because i have heard only the Sonodyne so far... and am asking because for that extra money i can buy a subwoofer...

help me deciiiiide

1. How is the low frequency reproduced? Is the bass good?

You would be the best person to answer that, as the definition of "good" is different for different people. I'd reckon I can't ask for a lot at that price.

2 & 3. If I am not wrong, it has 3 RCA inputs. But I'd recommend send these questions to Mr Bajaj directly (norgeaudio##hotmail.com) and make you decision based on the replies.

Hi,
3. Can it take a subwoofer tomorrow? Is it a 2-channel or a 2.1 channel amp?
If I remember correctly it is a 2 channel. So you cannot connect a sub.

Hi,
drive my Sonodyne Sonus 2605 floorstanders.
very tough decision because i have heard only the Sonodyne so far... and am asking because for that extra money i can buy a subwoofer...
help me deciiiiide
Based on your listening tastes, you may not need a sub.
I have a CA640A v2 + Sonus 2605 + Roarr2815. I hardly switch on the Sub. (Useful to me only when I watch movies). The 2605 do a decent job for bass.

I picked CA over Norge (I was looking at 1000 model) only because I thought I would need a sub.

Where are you located?

~dich

am in Bangalore, man... what about you? my speakers are staring at me... almost complaining!

Hi Arijit,
This is one controversial thread so i was hesitant to post initially.
I have not heard this 'reference ' amp nor am I familiar with ur speakers but since they are floor standers the bass at least for music should be adequate so why do u intend to add a sub?
Why not look at used integrated amps? Am sure that would be a better option. U should get some used nad 320/352 etc for about 8/14 K.
When on a budget why not make use of someone else's urge to upgrade rather than buy a very average sounding/ modestly built amplifier.
Regards

Thanks ppl...

Seems like I will eventually settle for the Sonodyne pre and power separates... the HDFC Bank EMI is working out beautifully, so the budget issue isn't gonna bother much . . . and leaving aside the argument about integrated versus pre power separates, they produce good enough sound for my tastes... and they also deliver 120 w at 8 ohms...

Will buy after June 7... and let you guys know...

Believe me, the last couple of weeks that I've been reading all your messages and other stuff about amps, etc. have helped in opening my mind. If I had come here earlier, I might not have gone for the same speakers . . . from an utter novice who was happy with his 400 w PMPO Sony, I suddenly am taking a big leap... thanks to you guys...

Ari

hi Soundsgreat, challenge was for the AMPLIFIER cost. the subject line was amplifier.
Maruti claims to make luxury cars nobody test drives them and compares them with a BMW. comprisons are driven by price. not claims. Norge is for an audience which cannot afford at what the yamas/ nads/ onkyos of the world are pricing their products at. if there are "other" equally talented players (besides sonodyne and norge) in the indianspace please share so i may also be enlightened.

Well, Lyrita Audo of Delhi makes pretty musical sounding Valve based Amplifiers & single driver based speakers using the japanese Fostex driver.
I've heard them extensively & can vouch for their musicality , for being "Hifi On A Budget".I have no hesitayion them to any Audiophile.
Visit the website at Lyrita Audio for more details.

Hi folks,

When I had almost finalized my mind on the Sonodyne pre and power separates, I had a talk with Soundsgreat, who turned out to be a great guy who's built cables and huge DIY speakers with horns. When I listened to his speakers, I couldn't believe my ears. They are any day better than the Sonus 2605s... with just a single driver, that too!! the clarity, the bang, the looks, the simplicity of the sound just amazed me. I could hear each pluck of the strings, and Mark Knopfler's breath, and kept wondering why I didn't persuade him to make floorstanders for me.

He doesn't manufacture on a commercial basis, but what a guy... i heard one DNM amp (100 watts into 2 into 8 ohms), which he even brought over to my place for a demo. And he also demonstrated what a vast difference good cables can make to your music. He also has so many other amps, I couldn't even remember. I remember the Denon that he demoed for me, with two torroids (and obviously better than the DNM), but the DNM is definitely very very impressive.

We were listening to classical vocals, with a great amount of double bass, and we were using my ordinary cables from the player to the amp. The sound was kinda rounded and not clear. He promptly changed that to his set of cables and also changed my speaker cables with his. Man, the difference was so tangible, I could almost feel the double bass playing in my room after that.

Great experience. Great guy and impeccably behaved... am glad I found a frnd... and am sure my next set of speakers will be from his stable.

That said, I haven't yet bought an amp. Am buying DNM now.

Arijit

Last edited:
Hi,
I am sure you are talking about DNM-PACE which is based in Mumbai. The owners name is also Mr. Bajaj :p, i forgot his first name.
I had visited him something like 10 years back, when i knew nothing about hifi, but just came to know about him becuase he has purchased one of my friends premises. As far as i can remember very decent person and down to earth as well. What i mean is he wont act pricey and will try to explain you things well
About Sreekanth, well that guy has tons of knowledge and he is always ready to help

i cannot comment on the quality of the amps since i haven't got the chance to hear them... but i have to mention that mr shayam bajaj is a thorough gentleman, he bothers to reply your mails personally, gives you sound advice .....follows up..

I haven??t met him as yet but i agree on the same. I have spoken to him on the phone and was very helpful. He even agreed to open his factory for me on a Sunday (they are always shut on SUNDAY) just to give me a demo. I feel, in today??s world most products have there own distinct characteristics but what makes them value for money is how the company treats you after you have bought the product. I met Dilip Bajaj Properitor of Pace Audio today, very humble person took the time to give me the demo answered all my queries and did not care if I would buy his product or not. These things stand out especially when you have visited some high end audio shop where they play everything for you but don??t care to interact with you if they feel you can??t buy it. It just tells one thing, that they are just doing it because it??s their JOB and are not because they are passionate about what they are doing. I am not an expert on this but I think that??s precisely why brands like Akai and Sansui are extinct in this line of business and will be followed by others who don't care! :rolleyes:

Hi folks,

When I had almost finalized my mind on the Sonodyne pre and power separates, I had a talk with Soundsgreat, who turned out to be a great guy who's built cables and huge DIY speakers with horns. When I listened to his speakers, I couldn't believe my ears. They are any day better than the Sonus 2605s... with just a single driver, that too!! the clarity, the bang, the looks, the simplicity of the sound just amazed me. I could hear each pluck of the strings, and Mark Knopfler's breath, and kept wondering why I didn't persuade him to make floorstanders for me.

He doesn't manufacture on a commercial basis, but what a guy... i heard one DNM amp (100 watts into 2 into 8 ohms), which he even brought over to my place for a demo. And he also demonstrated what a vast difference good cables can make to your music. He also has so many other amps, I couldn't even remember. I remember the Denon that he demoed for me, with two torroids (and obviously better than the DNM), but the DNM is definitely very very impressive.

We were listening to classical vocals, with a great amount of double bass, and we were using my ordinary cables from the player to the amp. The sound was kinda rounded and not clear. He promptly changed that to his set of cables and also changed my speaker cables with his. Man, the difference was so tangible, I could almost feel the double bass playing in my room after that.

Great experience. Great guy and impeccably behaved... am glad I found a frnd... and am sure my next set of speakers will be from his stable.

That said, I haven't yet bought an amp. Am buying DNM now.

Arijit

Hi Arijit

What system did you demo out there ?? could you also PM me the pricing and the model nos

I am planing to buy Norge 1200 Professional Pre Power Amp. and will pair it with POLK Rti A7. Can any one please tell me how is this Norge 1200 Professional Pre Power Amp and how it work with my POLK Rti A7 tower.

I seek your advice, pls help. Recently i bought Norge Ref Amp & Tower Norge Speaker. But I am not very happy with the bass response. Will adding subwoofer enhance the output. Pls suggest a sub for that or any other alternative. I only listen to music. I want thumping bass. I am from Bhubaneswar, Odisha

They are new speakers. Give them some time to burn in and then take a call. There is a thread running whether sub woofer is required for stereo listening. Search in the forums and you can get an idea. Of course sub or no sub is a personal choice in so far as stereo listening is concerned particularly if you use towers.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back