Nvidia Shield Tv- Owners Thread!!

Hi,
Upto my knowledge all tv which says dolby atmos only decodes dd+ based atmos not true hd atmos based which is costly to license i think..but iam not 100% sure correct me if iam wrong
For plex check server settings in laptop may be ur local/remote quality will not be in original. change the audio playback language of the particular file.
Always try to hardwire sheild tv and laptop if u use 2.4ghz wifi there wont be enough bandwidth..also make sure stream u r playing is not transcoded and it should be direct play..
Keep av receiver surround decoder mode in auto

Last edited:
Hi, Anybody still getting Atmos on Shield TV (2017 one) or on new Firestick TV 2020 edition on PrimeVideo? I tried couple of titles given in this thread but its streaming only Dolby Digital+ and not Atmos! I also updated the PrimeVideo app with 5.2.23 & 5.2.47 apk too but no luck.
Can someone pl check if they are still getting Atmos and share their app versions/ settings?

Hi, Anybody still getting Atmos on Shield TV (2017 one) or on new Firestick TV 2020 edition on PrimeVideo? I tried couple of titles given in this thread but its streaming only Dolby Digital+ and not Atmos! I also updated the PrimeVideo app with 5.2.23 & 5.2.47 apk too but no luck.
Can someone pl check if they are still getting Atmos and share their app versions/ settings?
No Atmos on prime video it's only Dolby digital Plus

Tha

Thanks for confirming. I dont know what direction PrimeVideo is taking when on one hand they release Firestick with Atmos support and on the other stop streaming it!
I get Dolby Atmos on Prime using Xbox One S

Does Mandalorian on hotstar streaming in Dolby vision on Shield? After the latest hotstar app update, I'm not getting DV. Anyone noticed the same issue?

I have a strange issue when using xbox one x , it upscales everything being streamed to Dolby Atmos , atleast that's what it shows

I have a strange issue when using xbox one x , it upscales everything being streamed to Dolby Atmos , atleast that's what it shows
Lucky you :) here couple of us are struggling to stream in Atmos! BTW does your AVR too shows Atmos as input signal?

Lucky you :) here couple of us are struggling to stream in Atmos! BTW does your AVR too shows Atmos as input signal?

Yeah the AVR shows Dolby Atmos always on Xbox One X, my only worry is it might alter the actual intended effects :)

Thanks folks for confirming. Looks like Xbox is 'upscaling' - for good/bad - but other streaming devices (I tried with Shield TV and Firestick 2020) are streaming only in DD+

Interestingly yesterday when I submitted a '1*' review on Amazon.in for Firestick 2020 (which is marketed as being able to stream Atmos but fails so), had some quick emails from Amazon CS where they chose not to publish it but were trying to impart some 'gyan' that if am getting DD+ then it 'means' am getting Atmos! I asked them why my AVR is not showing input of overhead channels and there were no further replies :)
Lets see if they suggest any workaround, will update here but I highly doubt.

I now see a reason why Apple TV 4K is still commanding its premium - it delivers!

Thanks folks for confirming. Looks like Xbox is 'upscaling' - for good/bad - but other streaming devices (I tried with Shield TV and Firestick 2020) are streaming only in DD+... I asked them why my AVR is not showing input of overhead channels and there were no further replies ...
Fire TV stick or Apple TV or any other device (STV, Xbox) will only output what the Prime platform streams. Dont blame your device if Prime is at falut. Looks like Xbox alone is upscaling, I wouldn't call it Atmos but more of a DSP output.
If Prime streams Atmos in DD+ or THD variations (both are valid Atmos streams), I am sure Fire TV, ATV, STV etc will pickup the same. The problem lies with Prime platform rather than the devices.
Atmos audio stream may not show the atmos specific channels in the input (reference), looks like only the atmos specific objects are added to the base 6/8 channels in the BD and OTT streams. I am yet to completely understand this.

Fire TV stick or Apple TV or any other device (STV, Xbox) will only output what the Prime platform streams. Dont blame your device if Prime is at falut. Looks like Xbox alone is upscaling, I wouldn't call it Atmos but more of a DSP output.
If Prime streams Atmos in DD+ or THD variations (both are valid Atmos streams), I am sure Fire TV, ATV, STV etc will pickup the same. The problem lies with Prime platform rather than the devices.
Atmos audio stream may not show the atmos specific channels in the input (reference), looks like only the atmos specific objects are added to the base 6/8 channels in the BD and OTT streams. I am yet to completely understand this.
Thanks for sharing the link. I did some additional reading up to find that DD+ is a lossy way to package Atmos meta data and is primarily used in streaming (contrast to TrueHD/Atmos used in BD)

Yes, many folks in other AVForums too are complaining not receiving Atmos over PrimeVideo. Even if the input stream doesn't indicate overhead channels, the AVR should identify the input as Atmos if it indeed is receiving Atmos over DD+/TrueHD.

Thanks folks for confirming. Looks like Xbox is 'upscaling' - for good/bad - but other streaming devices (I tried with Shield TV and Firestick 2020) are streaming only in DD+

Interestingly yesterday when I submitted a '1*' review on Amazon.in for Firestick 2020 (which is marketed as being able to stream Atmos but fails so), had some quick emails from Amazon CS where they chose not to publish it but were trying to impart some 'gyan' that if am getting DD+ then it 'means' am getting Atmos! I asked them why my AVR is not showing input of overhead channels and there were no further replies :)
Lets see if they suggest any workaround, will update here but I highly doubt.

I now see a reason why Apple TV 4K is still commanding its premium - it delivers!
Yes it appears that the setting bitstream passthrough on xbox as "Atmos" would show every content to be Atmos on input and output side. There is no option to switch to DD+ either. Its the same case with Netflix as well on Xbox. In any case, overall the sound quality seems best to me for Netflix and Prime while streaming through Xbox One S. I have compared same scenes against Shield TV and Fire TV stick 4K. Anyone else?

Hello Guys,
I have got Apple TV4K and use Infuse pro to stream the content from my ages old NAS device, mostly works just fine, except some controls on fwd/rewind or skipping to certain point in the content is difficult when I use this combination.
While I feel ATV4K is streaming NetFlix beautifully and also great with Primevidoe and other streaming apps, somehow I feel that nVidia Shield TV pro (2019) which now has DV/DA support for Netflix and no doubt it's probably one of the best devices in terms of playing local media.
Do you guys think if I'm going to benefit from STV Pro 2019 over Infuse pro running on ATV4K? Is it worth spending money on that for playing local media?
I've got Xbox one X recently but not sure about its capabilities of playing local media (over a NAS device!!) so using that for games only and if I get some good BDs to play.
I'm thinking of getting it shipped to a friend coming to India in another 2-3 months, I may end up paying around 12K INR or so in I consider the US tax and a $50 gift coupon that I have on amazon account. Is it worth spending for that device! Does the new AI feature really beat the ATV4K?
Thank you.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back