Objectivity vs Subjectivity

That's quantum theory. Thank God there is no quantum amp or quantum DAC.
If there were, all forums would be very "noisy".
Cheers,
Raghu

or maybe we are measuring wrong things. The things we measure might not relate exactly to what we hear.
Yeah, if there is no room correction, it will not translate to what we see on measurement. If that’s corrected, hearing deficiencies play another role. Other than that it’s the same parameters manufactures use to design their devices.

or maybe we are measuring wrong things. The things we measure might not relate exactly to what we hear.
Or trying to measure subjective opinions, perceptions is impossible because there are no universal standards or machines to objectively measure these?

Not everyone needs accurate sound. Accuracy can be confirmed with good measurements. It’s possible to enjoy an inaccurate sound.
I don't think we should get hung up on this accuracy argument. Simply because it doesn't have a reference. The moment we record a 3D sound field using less than a certain number of mics, accuracy of the captured sound field is thrown out of the window. So for a recording of a live event, we are hearing everything from the perspective of a few recording mics. Also accuracy means different things to different people simply because of the hearing system that has differences between different people and the different audio reproduction chains. For some people accuracy is relative position and placement of instruments in the reproduced sound field. For some, it is just the feeling of musical instruments sounding like in a live event/how they perceive a certain instrument(s) and vocals should sound like. For some others, it is a combination of above and other things.

What the klippel NFS does while measuring speakers is it tries to estimate the anechoic response of the speaker and its characteristics in reproducing a sound field. It does this through a sound field separation technique. Even klippel say that variations of the order of 1.5dB is expected with the measurement system. There goes one arguement about accuracy given that humans can hear variations as low as 0.2 dB under right conditions. Ideally one would want a speaker to just reproduce the sound field captured in the signal that is fed to it. That is just my opinion. It speaks nothing about the preferences of other people. Let us say we have two speakers both having flat ON axis frequency response and smooth power response and directicity. Let us say both have coincident, coaxial drivers, exceptionally good transient response, and very low distortion. which one do we call as the more accurate speaker.
Some people prefer narrow directivity. Some people prefer wider directivity. What slope of the directivity plot or power response do we call as "accurate"?

There are only guidelines like if a speaker measures like this, it may sound like this. What we chose ultimately is what we like. I prefer good measuring equipment. Simply because i like tweaking it and tuning it to play according to my preferences. Some others prefer what sounds good to their ears right from the start without worrying about the measurement part.

Even if we argue that tonally "uncoloured" sound is the accurate one, it will vary with your position in the listening space depending upon the power response and directivity.

I support and respect Amir and Erin and other like them who try to educate others about all these different aspects for free. It is not necessary that everyone should have the same opinion. Measurements have a purpose. It shows the technical capabilities of a system. It doesn't tell with 100% confidence that this is how it will sound. It is upto us what we eventually choose to buy to hear music and there is no right or wrong in it.

Or trying to measure subjective opinions, perceptions is impossible because there are no universal standards or machines to objectively measure these?
There are none and even if there were such hypothetical instruments, no one would use them apart from the ones actually building the amps / speakers as a guideline , before the final tuning is done by ears. Which is the current practise everywhere.

Consider , when Steinway and Sons tunes a piano costing thousands of dollars , they do that not by charts , but by their ears (they have dedicated employee just for that ).

When a studio engineer records a song , he adjusts its frequency curve , pitch and myriad other things going by what sounds good to his ears alone (and that’s why some mastering engineers are better than others ).

There is no such thing as perfect / neutral / flat sound. Everything from the source is already colourised by subjective perceptions and experience, unless we are talking test tones , which I suspect a lot of people listen to to measure their instruments to get a good night’s sleep.

I don't think we should get hung up on this accuracy argument. Simply because it doesn't have a reference. The moment we record a 3D sound field using less than a certain number of mics, accuracy of the captured sound field is thrown out of the window. So for a recording of a live event, we are hearing everything from the perspective of a few recording mics. Also accuracy means different things to different people simply because of the hearing system that has differences between different people and the different audio reproduction chains. For some people accuracy is relative position and placement of instruments in the reproduced sound field. For some, it is just the feeling of musical instruments sounding like in a live event/how they perceive a certain instrument(s) and vocals should sound like. For some others, it is a combination of above and other things.

What the klippel NFS does while measuring speakers is it tries to estimate the anechoic response of the speaker and its characteristics in reproducing a sound field. It does this through a sound field separation technique. Even klippel say that variations of the order of 1.5dB is expected with the measurement system. There goes one arguement about accuracy given that humans can hear variations as low as 0.2 dB under right conditions. Ideally one would want a speaker to just reproduce the sound field captured in the signal that is fed to it. That is just my opinion. It speaks nothing about the preferences of other people. Let us say we have two speakers both having flat ON axis frequency response and smooth power response and directicity. Let us say both have coincident, coaxial drivers, exceptionally good transient response, and very low distortion. which one do we call as the more accurate speaker.
Some people prefer narrow directivity. Some people prefer wider directivity. What slope of the directivity plot or power response do we call as "accurate"?

There are only guidelines like if a speaker measures like this, it may sound like this. What we chose ultimately is what we like. I prefer good measuring equipment. Simply because i like tweaking it and tuning it to play according to my preferences. Some others prefer what sounds good to their ears right from the start without worrying about the measurement part.

Even if we argue that tonally "uncoloured" sound is the accurate one, it will vary with your position in the listening space depending upon the power response and directivity.

I support and respect Amir and Erin and other like them who try to educate others about all these different aspects for free. It is not necessary that everyone should have the same opinion. Measurements have a purpose. It shows the technical capabilities of a system. It doesn't tell with 100% confidence that this is how it will sound. It is upto us what we eventually choose to buy to hear music and there is no right or wrong in it.
Accurate sound to me- what the recording engineer heard while he mixed at his desk through his monitor. Whatever mics picked up, whatever eq he applied on it. Whatever effects he added to it at this point is heard by him using a flat monitor. So that’s what I call “artist intended”

At our home- I like to hear what he heard there at his desk because that’s what he wanted in his mix.

What should I do to hear that ? Best way is to go to the same studio and listen there. It’s not possible

What is my next possibility? Buy the same gear they had? Not enough! I need to have the same acoustics from the studio at the my home. Is it possible ? Luckily yes, as at the listening spot, the engineer was hearing something with a flat monitor. So all I need to hear the same thing is having a flat frequency at my spot.

How can I do it?

Add acoustic panels / diffusers to fix the room; add DSP to correct the sound at my listening spot.

This guarantees what the engineer heard at his desk (not necessarily the real tone of instruments/ ambience of rhe venue but a compromise which the engineer liked at this point)

NONE OF THESE MATTERS if the target is accurate sound, SORRY the sound the they heard at their desk.

There are none and even if there were such hypothetical instruments, no one would use them apart from the ones actually building the amps / speakers as a guideline , before the final tuning is done by ears. Which is the current practise everywhere.

Consider , when Steinway and Sons tunes a piano costing thousands of dollars , they do that not by charts , but by their ears (they have dedicated employee just for that ).

When a studio engineer records a song , he adjusts its frequency curve , pitch and myriad other things going by what sounds good to his ears alone (and that’s why some mastering engineers are better than others ).

There is no such thing as perfect / neutral / flat sound. Everything from the source is already colourised by subjective perceptions and experience, unless we are talking test tones , which I suspect a lot of people listen to to measure their instruments to get a good night’s sleep.
The recording engineers perception at his monitor is the accurate sound of the “recording” it doesn’t mean it may contain accurate sound of an instrument. It’s limited by his mics capability, his creativity in using effects and all.

Consider electronic music, there are digital effects everywhere and not even real instruments. So, reproducing real instruments isn’t a concern in this case but hearing the effects he heard there at his desk is what accurate reproduction can target for at the max.

Tube amps mostly measure poorly yet many people like the sound over any of better measuring ss amps. I feel the numbers are like counting my cat's hair, doesn't matter if it's 2 million or 2.1 million my cat is furry enough. I only care when it goes below a certain threshold, then it will be considered a bald cat, neither me nor my neighbour would want it, who wants a bald cat.
For that you need to understand how human hearing works.
Even harmonic distortion makes the music pleasant.
Odd harmonic makes it irritating.
That's why tube sound pleasant because of the even harmonic .

About directivity :

Narrow- sound doesn’t radiate much sideways but more forward. A glass wall on the side affects the sound less at the listening spot. If the same speaker is kept in an anechoic room, it’s not goin to sound much better. Downside- soundstage appears like everything is happening between speakers most of the time. If anyone subjectively reviews this speaker, it’s something more believable.

Wide-radiate outwards, and room surfaces can play a huge role in sound at the listening spot. It can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how the room is. We cannot predict how it is going to sound in a different room. Subjective reviews on these speakers cannot be relied on as the sound varies with rooms way too much. Upside is this speaker in certain rooms can provide larger than life soundstages(which isn’t present in the recordings)

What's accurate? If there is one definable accuracy, then why do two products with same measurements sound entirely different?
This isn’t true, two products with exact same measurement in all aspects like freq resp, directivity, distortion figures will sound the same. Most people stop looking at measurements after freq resp graph.

About directivity :

Narrow- sound doesn’t radiate much sideways but more forward. A glass wall on the side affects the sound less at the listening spot. If the same speaker is kept in an anechoic room, it’s not goin to sound much better. Downside- soundstage appears like everything is happening between speakers most of the time. If anyone subjectively reviews this speaker, it’s something more believable.

Wide-radiate outwards, and room surfaces can play a huge role in sound at the listening spot. It can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how the room is. We cannot predict how it is going to sound in a different room. Subjective reviews on these speakers cannot be relied on as the sound varies with rooms way too much. Upside is this speaker in certain rooms can provide larger than life soundstages(which isn’t present in the recordings)
Not enough. Narrow and wide are just two classifications of an curve that can take infinite number of possible shapes. For your definition of accuracy, you need a certain slope to the directivity curve and power response. There is no standard in audio that defines such a universal metric.

The recording engineers perception at his monitor is the accurate sound of the “recording” it doesn’t mean it may contain accurate sound of an instrument. It’s limited by his mics capability, his creativity in using effects and all.

Consider electronic music, there are digital effects everywhere and not even real instruments. So, reproducing real instruments isn’t a concern in this case but hearing the effects he heard there at his desk is what accurate reproduction can target for at the max.
If all you want is hear nearfield, it is fine.
If you want " accurate" reproduction in typical rooms, you need to read up more about acoustics.

Will sound the same to a mic. Not to different people.
This is almost impossible to substantiate. Anyone can write on the internet that I bought two speakers of the exact same measurements and they sounded different. Since we are dealing with “subjective impressions” at his point, there is no way to verify it, unless we do a polygraph test of the person.

By the way, what two speakers have you compared in the same room which were having exactly same measurements ? It’s very unlikely that two speakers might have the same measurments in all parameters.

Accurate sound to me- what the recording engineer heard while he mixed at his desk through his monitor. Whatever mics picked up, whatever eq he applied on it. Whatever effects he added to it at this point is heard by him using a flat monitor. So that’s what I call “artist intended”

At our home- I like to hear what he heard there at his desk because that’s what he wanted in his mix.

What should I do to hear that ? Best way is to go to the same studio and listen there. It’s not possible

What is my next possibility? Buy the same gear they had? Not enough! I need to have the same acoustics from the studio at the my home. Is it possible ? Luckily yes, as at the listening spot, the engineer was hearing something with a flat monitor. So all I need to hear the same thing is having a flat frequency at my spot.

How can I do it?

Add acoustic panels / diffusers to fix the room; add DSP to correct the sound at my listening spot.

This guarantees what the engineer heard at his desk (not necessarily the real tone of instruments/ ambience of rhe venue but a compromise which the engineer liked at this point)

NONE OF THESE MATTERS if the target is accurate sound, SORRY the sound the they heard at their desk.
Your preference is a flat frequency response on the axis you listen to. Other people have other preferences. That is all.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back