Objectivity vs Subjectivity

I wish I could agree with you.

But statistics as maths and science is proven useful for population and large numbers sampling.

Many of the hypothesis in science has come from the statistical significance .....and probability. Standard deviations and probability factor are established concepts in science.

If we go by subjectivism, religion is the epitome of our human endeavour.
First of all, there is no need for you to agree with me. :D It is your preference.
I just told what i know from my limited knowledge. It just reflects my own current understanding of the subject.

I have worked in probability theory all the 6 years i had to slog to get a PhD, in addition to the years i spent studying it before in my graduate and undergraduate courses. So I have a fair understanding of its utility. Again just my perspective. :)

I never told told you to go only by subjectivism. I only said it is also important. To what extent you want to use it is your preference. :)

When someone claim that ultrasonic waves spectrum contribute to sonic quality, how do you assess the truth of his statement, when humans can hear only 20hz to 20kz at their peak of listening power around youngish age of 20years?
Not really as humans also have tactile perception at all ages.

1. On high frequency you hear not just via your ears but also via the cranial bones. this is bone conduction and this is how Beethoven heard his music despite being deaf via a metal rod. The Aftershokz "ear"phones are also based on this principle . I believe our hearing can go to the ~30khz range via this. this apparently includes the effect of "Airiness".

2. For below 20 khz, we feel this via the skin and via the diaphragm . thats the reason the kick of a drum give you that physical effect. Tigers are known to go as low as 12Hz and thats the reason we feel the fear when we hear that sound. Of course frequencies below that are not heard or felt by us but earthquakes which are in the single digit frequencies are "heard" by some animals.

On the question of musical content available at that range is a different problem. maybe its the harmonic and subharmonic content exists but not researched it much.

Personally I have found 1. as harsh and gave me a headache with many recordings ( via a supertweeter). Subwoofers on the other hand have inly enhanced the experience if set up well.

Here is an example of a speaker that John Atkinson (well known measurements guru of Stereophile ) says was designed primarily by ear, rather than with the help of test equipment, because its faults tend to be euphonic with many kinds of music.

Not really as humans also have tactile perception at all ages.

1. On high frequency you hear not just via your ears but also via the cranial bones. this is bone conduction and this is how Beethoven heard his music despite being deaf via a metal rod. The Aftershokz "ear"phones are also based on this principle . I believe our hearing can go to the ~30khz range via this. this apparently includes the effect of "Airiness".

2. For below 20 khz, we feel this via the skin and via the diaphragm . thats the reason the kick of a drum give you that physical effect. Tigers are known to go as low as 12Hz and thats the reason we feel the fear when we hear that sound. Of course frequencies below that are not heard or felt by us but earthquakes which are in the single digit frequencies are "heard" by some animals.

On the question of musical content available at that range is a different problem. maybe its the harmonic and subharmonic content exists but not researched it much.

Personally I have found 1. as harsh and gave me a headache with many recordings ( via a supertweeter). Subwoofers on the other hand have inly enhanced the experience if set up well.
I don't want to prove what you say as wrong.

However our physiology....especially about our hearing apparatus and brain limits what is possible to hear (as impulse generation in the hearing apparatus) and what can be interpreted by our neurons and synapses in the brain.

Our hearing as a sense are given less priority when multiple stimuli are present. The brain prioritise which stimuli are important to understand.

The human perception of sound at frequencies below 200 Hz is reviewed. Knowledge about our perception of this frequency range is important, since much of the sound we are exposed to in our everyday environment contains significant energy in this range. Sound at 20-200 Hz is called low-frequency sound, while for sound below 20 Hz the term infrasound is used.

The hearing becomes gradually less sensitive for decreasing frequency, but despite the general understanding that infrasound is inaudible, humans can perceive infrasound, if the level is sufficiently high. The ear is the primary organ for sensing infrasound, but at levels somewhat above the hearing threshold it is possible to feel vibrations in various parts of the body.

The threshold of hearing is standardized for frequencies down to 20 Hz, but there is a reasonably good agreement between investigations below this frequency. It is not only the sensitivity but also the perceived character of a sound that changes with decreasing frequency. Pure tones become gradually less continuous, the tonal sensation ceases around 20 Hz, and below 10 Hz it is possible to perceive the single cycles of the sound. A sensation of pressure at the eardrums also occurs.

The dynamic range of the auditory system decreases with decreasing frequency. This compression can be seen in the equal-loudness-level contours, and it implies that a slight increase in level can change the perceived loudness from barely audible to loud.

Combined with the natural spread in thresholds, it may have the effect that a sound, which is inaudible to some people, may be loud to others. Some investigations give evidence of persons with an extraordinary sensitivity in the low and infrasonic frequency range, but further research is needed in order to confirm and explain this phenomenon.

Last edited:
Some investigations give evidence of persons with an extraordinary sensitivity in the low and infrasonic frequency range, but further research is needed in order to confirm and explain this phenomenon.

Scientific studies have levels of evidence. When the evidence reaches the level of 1, it is taken as undisputed fact.

In audio there are many level 1 evidences. At the same also much new research and hypothesis are going on and being studied.

The issue is when new interpretation or subjective parameters are being floated without the necessary evidential data to back the claims…….and most being contesting the years of data with level 1 evidence.

The issue perhaps is not that subjectivity or objectivity or both are important but that some people try very hard to push their opinions as facts. Particularly objectivists.

I say that audio/video is a subjective medium, where human beings perceive both sight and sound (as well as touch,smell and taste) subjectively, rather than graphs or binary input. Hence humans are subjective creatures. Any opinion to the contrary is obviously too far biased to hold any rational discussion on the subject and may be ignored IMO.

Logic follows that if we are subjective creatures then the equipment should be judged on its subjective merits as it applies to us.

Where does science come in? Science is only there to help us understand how things work, we may use it to make equipment. However this does not mean we should use these "good" measurements as the basis for what sounds good, as it is important to understand what we as humans prefer subjectively and THEN use the science to make products which appeal to us subjectively rather than using some arbitrary (and sometimes commercially driven) reference standard based on measurements of frequency response,impulse,phase,distortion, noise and so on. Many manufacturers do indeed do this to some degree by tailoring their products for preferences. It bears repeating that many companies can make products that measure well but they do not because that is not what we subjectively prefer. Why is it that objectivists have largely invaded the audio/video equipment sphere yet things like food,clothing,perfume,shoes even choosing life partners are left at subjective preference? How long before they try to choose these things for us?

Science is a means to an end. Not the end itself. We would do well to remember that.

If we give up our preferences in favor of science we may as well give up our humanity.

Scientific studies have levels of evidence. When the evidence reaches the level of 1, it is taken as undisputed fact.

In audio there are many level 1 evidences. At the same also much new research and hypothesis are going on and being studied.

The issue is when new interpretation or subjective parameters are being floated without the necessary evidential data to back the claims…….and most being contesting the years of data with level 1 evidence.
Fair enough. This is not a peer reviewed paper (to my knowledge) So not robust in terms of evidentiary value.
Good to keep in mind throughout human history every new discovery or invention was viewed with scepticism at first. Galileo was burnt at the stake for calculating and stating that the earth was not the centre of the universe and intact revolved around the sun. Keeping an open mind maybe good?

Here is some more:
Measurements for hearing thresholds have been made for frequencies of 4 Hz in an acoustic chamber (Watanabe and Møller, 1990) and even for frequencies down to 1.5 Hz with earphone listening (Yeowart et al., 1967; Yeowart, 1976). Much higher stimulus levels, however, are needed below 20 Hz in order to provoke an auditory sensation.

Then there is speculation the the so called Havana syndrome could be due to weaponising sound. There is no evidence for this currently. But sonic weapons and stun grenades have been used for crowd control by a few governments I think.

But I digress…subjectively

Last edited:
<snip>

I know psychoacoustics is a complex issue. But it still baffles my mind when we interchangingly mix the separate issues of music creation(art and leisure) with audio reproduction (science and electronics).

For me measurements are a must and fundamental parameters for audio reproduction be it DACs/amps/speakers/source. They are irrelevant for me to enjoy Pink Floyd/Deep purple/Iron Maiden/Black Sabbath/Rainbows/Fleetwood Mac/Abba/Carpenters/Jagjit/Maroon 5 songs. And based on the measurements I then decide how I can tune the music to my liking.
This is exactly what most of us in the discussion are saying.
Measurements are relevant alongside subjective experience.
One may agree or disagree with a particular magazine/online subjective reviewer.
One may also agree or disagree with a particular magazine/online measurement based reviewer.

In the process, you forgot one important element.
Creation (art + science) --> Audio reproduction (design based on science with tweaking) --> Musical experience (individual preference)

Snobbery is there when a group of people interact. It is just natural human behavior.
More so on forums because of anonymity. One can get away with all kinds of stuff that is not possible in a face to face situation.
By steadfastly limiting oneself to only measurements/subjective or expensive/cheap or DIY or topology/technology or <xxx> based criteria, the fun in this hobby is lost.

In your own words above, after setting up a well measured rig and tweaking it to your liking, how would you describe it to others?
1. My favorite band sounded alive, more rhythmic, some flowery language
2. My favorite band sounded great because of "this" value of SINAD and x% louder in this frequency band and y% wider and z% less noise
Which of the above would resonate with a wider group of people?

Have fun. Enjoy music and movies. Chase good content. They'll sound or look good even on a mediocre device.
Experience as many devices and components. It's a hobby.

Cheers,
Raghu

I have recently upgraded my phono Preamplifier with thin film resistors and for most of this 2 months I kept believing that the preamplifier needs breakin and gave 2 months but the compressed low-end would not improve.

Today morning I replaced the opamp from AD827 to LM4562 with some less compression but not great. I then went back to measuring the output of the phono Preamplifier. I fed a 3.5mV pink noise at the input and measured the output on a spectrum analyser. The response was no way near to the theorotical RIAA curve.

I went to calculate the time constant of 75usec, 318uscec and 3180usec and noticed that the filters needs tweaking to achieve this. I did this filter tweaks and got the perfect RIAA response. I later played a record - WOW .NOTHING LIKE I HEARD BEFORE.

So in this case I have first analyzed the issue with subjetive listening and then did measurements to find out the problem, then calculated correct parameters required in the filters, implemented them, measured again and then finally listened again.

So anyone claim that objective measurements are useless are the one who never ever have measured. Also after measurements doing nothing about the problem is again waste of your time.

My 2 paise.

Creation (art + science) --> Audio reproduction (design based on science with tweaking) --> Musical experience (individual preference)

By steadfastly limiting oneself to only measurements/subjective or expensive/cheap or DIY or topology/technology or <xxx> based criteria, the fun in this hobby is lost.

Hi Raghu, I'd like to note that creation is all art, it is only recording the creation that is art + science.

Also I feel that the hobby is about enjoying the content your way, whatever that may be, so limiting on any given criteria will serve the hobbyist better once they identify it as a detriment to their enjoyment and remove it.

I simply quoted what you said with bold emphasis.:) The entire post is quoted, no context is lost.

Correct. Harman/Toole/Olive's research is of no value. Zero. It is a marketing ploy to sell speakers, this should be obvious to anyone.

I have recently upgraded my phono Preamplifier with thin film resistors and for most of this 2 months I kept believing that the preamplifier needs breakin and gave 2 months but the compressed low-end would not improve.

Today morning I replaced the opamp from AD827 to LM4562 with some less compression but not great. I then went back to measuring the output of the phono Preamplifier. I fed a 3.5mV pink noise at the input and measured the output on a spectrum analyser. The response was no way near to the theorotical RIAA curve.

I went to calculate the time constant of 75usec, 318uscec and 3180usec and noticed that the filters needs tweaking to achieve this. I did this filter tweaks and got the perfect RIAA response. I later played a record - WOW .NOTHING LIKE I HEARD BEFORE.

So in this case I have first analyzed the issue with subjetive listening and then did measurements to find out the problem, then calculated correct parameters required in the filters, implemented them, measured again and then finally listened again.

So anyone claim that objective measurements are useless are the one who never ever have measured. Also after measurements doing nothing about the problem is again waste of your time.

My 2 paise.
You are right..
Both go hand in hand for those who have knowledge about it..

Science is a means to an end. Not the end itself. We would do well to remember that.

I would like to add to that our subjective experiences remain mostly the same overall although they might improve continue to evolve individually. ie even for the next generation the overall subjective experience limit will not change much . It will of course be limited by or change due to our own evolution as humans.

Objective measurements will mostly only continue to improve which is the very nature of science ie we will get better and better every-time we find something new and at some point, in the future, be able to measure everything about something but not everything about everything since that is absolute knowledge..and a philosophical debate !

As an example in audio itself , audiophiles had been for a long time been talking of differences in digital outputs and then only later we were able to measure jitter and explain it,. Today jitter is an absolutely measurable standard and can be take as one basis where unless you are good at hearing , your ears may mislead you to choose a cable which sounds good but may be distorting in a good way.

Similarly we do not really have all the reasons for the same for a speaker/amp etc. Maybe some day in the future but not today. but our measurements will only continue to get better untill we will.

Personally believe that the moment we end us saying that we know everything and can measure it all science will stop ! hence by nature of science there is always something more to measure and ergo we cannot measure everything, But again what we can measure we will use.

Science is to prove better to us what we experience with facts and experimentation.,.saying we can prove everything today can only be arrogance and is actually anti science !

I don't want to prove what you say as wrong.

However our physiology....especially about our hearing apparatus and brain limits what is possible to hear (as impulse generation in the hearing apparatus) and what can be interpreted by our neurons and synapses in the brain.
i would love to be shown anything wrong in my perception since that only contributes to my learning !

Just to clarify what I was saying is that there is musical content above and below the normal human listening range which cannot be heard by the ear but can be felt by the body. I am aware of some aspects of psychoacoustic perceptions like how our brain can reject audio and visual signals which we have evolved over the years due to so many reasons including but not limited to our survival especially around imaging and rejection of signals.

All of us can feel the effect of bass below 20..we all do at some level on a daily basis at some time,.

not all of us may hear the above 20khz sicne perhaps those signals itself are rare but it is a measurable phenomenon and may have been studied and measured in various ways ( perhaps for tinnitus, not again not sure of this area..) i have heard it what i think is that , by a simple on and off of a supertweeter, personally not a fan but yes you can discern it ergo it exists

Last edited:
I would like to add to that our subjective experiences remain mostly the same overall although they might improve continue to evolve individually. ie even for the next generation the overall subjective experience limit will not change much . It will of course be limited by or change due to our own evolution as humans.

Objective measurements will mostly only continue to improve which is the very nature of science ie we will get better and better every-time we find something new and at some point, in the future, be able to measure everything about something but not everything about everything since that is absolute knowledge..and a philosophical debate !

As an example in audio itself , audiophiles had been for a long time been talking of differences in digital outputs and then only later we were able to measure jitter and explain it,. Today jitter is an absolutely measurable standard and can be take as one basis where unless you are good at hearing , your ears may mislead you to choose a cable which sounds good but may be distorting in a good way.

Similarly we do not really have all the reasons for the same for a speaker/amp etc. Maybe some day in the future but not today. but our measurements will only continue to get better untill we will.

Personally believe that the moment we end us saying that we know everything and can measure it all science will stop ! hence but nature of science there is always something more to measure and ergo we cannot measure everything, But again what we can measure we will use.

Science is to prove better to us what we experience with facts and experimentation.,.saying we can prove everything today can only be arrogance and is actually anti science !

i would love to be shown anything wrong in my perception since that only contributes to my learning !

Just to clarify what I was saying is that there is musical content above and below the normal human listening range which cannot be heard by the ear but can be felt by the body. I am aware of some aspects of psychoacoustic perceptions like how our brain can reject audio and visual signals which we have evolved over the years due to so many reasons including but not limited to our survival especially around imaging and rejection of signals.

All of us can feel the effect of bass below 20..we all do at some level on a daily basis at some time,.

not all of us may hear the above 20khz sicne perhaps those signals itself are rare but it is a measurable phenomenon and may have been studied and measured in various ways ( perhaps for tinnitus, not again not sure of this area.. i have heard it what i think is that ( by a simple on and off of a supertweeter) personally not a fan but yes you can discern it,
Frequencies above 20khz may not be audible directly but as per the studies of psychoacoustics they excite human hearing when two of such tones ( not same frequency) reach the ears simultaneously.
I will try to find the chapter in which i read it and update.

Frequencies above 20khz may not be audible directly but as per the studies of psychoacoustics they excite human hearing when two of such tones ( not same frequency) reach the ears simultaneously.
I will try to find the chapter in which i read it and update.
thanks, I dont know the details since I did not pursue this further, but am interested in what you find out about this.

The Objectivist Audiophile Screenplay:

ACT 1

Friend:
"Hey, where did your speakers go?

Objectivist Audiophile:
"I sold them!"

Friend:
Sold them?! Why?

Objectivist Audiophile:
"Yeah... Well, (fiddles with db meter) since I've documented that everything measures correctly I can finally stop listening. So I sold them."

Friend:
(Turns head towards large stack of uber expensive Hifi gear with no speakers ) What about the rest of your equipment?

Objectivist Audiophile:
Yeah, I'm really pleased with it, it's perfect."

Friend:
Have you ever considered a different hobby?

Objectivist Audiophile:
No. Why?

End ACT 1

--

The Objectivist Audiophile Screenplay:

ACT 1

Friend:
"Hey, where did your speakers go?

Objectivist Audiophile:
"I sold them!"

Friend:
Sold them?! Why?

Objectivist Audiophile:
"Yeah... Well, (fiddles with db meter) since I've documented that everything measures correctly I can finally stop listening. So I sold them."

Friend:
(Turns head towards large stack of uber expensive Hifi gear with no speakers ) What about the rest of your equipment?

Objectivist Audiophile:
Yeah, I'm really pleased with it, it's perfect."

Friend:
Have you ever considered a different hobby?

Objectivist Audiophile:
No. Why?

End ACT 1

--
Your writing skills are quite good. Can you write a subjectivist version?

My 2 paise.
Glad these tweaks worked well for you with a happy outcome in your system, Hari.
I can not imagine doing the tweaks you mentioned as I don’t have the knowledge, skill or means to do this.
I think this may be the case with most of us.
To my recollection no one on this thread has stated measurements are useless.
Your process and experience does illustrate that there are different ways to discover and seek better sound. These involve measurements (by the designer/reviewer/user - if skilled) and subjective insights (by everyone who listens).
It’s not black and white, maybe more like Yin-Yang

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back