Old hindi movie soundtracks

jenson

I am in search, rather craving for soundtracks from 60's, 70's or 80's..perhaps the golden era of hindi music..

I could only get hold of cds from saregama and crappy lps..was disappointed with the sound quality...

1. Wondered if older hmv/rpg/made in england cds of let's say abhimaan et al would sound better than ones released by saregama or hunting for mint lps is the best way forward.

2. For cds made in England/USA, what would be a fair price for hindi soundtracks

3. While we are at it..recommendations would be most helpful..my preference is soft, soulful, melodic music.. Like in abhimaan, masoom, ghar, ijaazat, Mili, chupke chupke..

Movies by amol palekar, farookh sheikh had unique set of music and such..

Looking forward to guidance

Last edited:
Mint lps would be my first choice. Made in England CDs my next choice. Made in USA is avoidable.

For the best musical experience I would search for good LPs( preferably the first pressing) though it is an ordeal to procure NM conditioned LPs these days. I would avoid the newly pressed LPs of the 60's, 70's available now as those aren't even shadows of the older LPs. Another good source is UK pressed CDs.
Regards

Even earlier Indian pressed CDs (earlier the better) will be good. 90s pressings would be best but even upto around 2003 would be good.
Look for the packing date.

With the prices of good vinyl nowadays, I think looking at cassette tapes might also be a good idea along with a decent player.
Very good suggestion keeping in mind the ever surging price of vinyls but if one doesn't have cassettes then to find those these days will be very difficult. Cassette tape is undoubtedly a good choice for those who are clinging onto analogue if owners of tape deck have cassettes. Another hard job is to maintain those tapes and keep them intact.
Regards

Thanks for the updates... Looks like getting mint lps would be a rarity.. CDs those are made in England are still available, albeit high price.

Cassettes.. Maintaining them in our humid embiroment is a messy affair..no, although since cost is not as high, shud look at it as well..

It says made in England on the back cover. Catalogue is PMLP 5xxx. If it says ADD on the rear, don’t buy it. It should say DP or AAD.

These were pressed between 1988 and 1992.

You can find them on eBay and some lp sellers. They aren’t cheap.
Prem, I understand ADD and AAD. But what does DP stand for?

It says made in England on the back cover. Catalogue is PMLP 5xxx. If it says ADD on the rear, don’t buy it. It should say DP or AAD.

These were pressed between 1988 and 1992.

You can find them on eBay and some lp sellers. They aren’t cheap.
Stuck to these benchmarks and got first batch of 3 cds (one is us based though)

More in transit.. Pretty excited about it :) thanks @prem

Congrats @jenson on the first batch... they look awesome!!! From where did you end up buying them from? Speed seems quite impressive given that it took you a couple of weeks to acquire them from when you started this thread....

Congrats @jenson on the first batch... they look awesome!!! From where did you end up buying them from? Speed seems quite impressive given that it took you a couple of weeks to acquire them from when you started this thread....
.. Most of these sellers are based out of delhi and Atleast the one I came across. Found them on Facebook audio CD forums.
These cds average 2-3.5k ... Like Prem mentioned, its getting expensive

Jenson, Aandhi Mausam is not the right press. You need the UK Press. Not the US. It needs to say PMLP. Not CDF. The other two are fine.

Jenson, Aandhi Mausam is not the right press. You need the UK Press. Not the US. It needs to say PMLP. Not CDF. The other two are fine.
Yes, it was a miss from my end. Majority of the buys are MiE with the PM OR PS**** couple of them in US. I hope it is better than the version i have with saaregama

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back