Old movies(specially B&W), are they worth in Blu-ray?

KonfuSed

Hi All,
Just wanted to know if the old movies like Casablanca and all. Do they worth buying in Blu-ray? Considering the price difference of DVD's to Blu-rays will there be a worthwhile PQ difference. I got Godfather on Blu-ray but somehow I felt that there is not much difference between the DVD and the Blu-ray, at least not that visible in my TV. And you can almost buy 5/6 movies in DVD for a price of one Blu-ray. I ordered few DVD's this time from Amazon instead of blu-ray and I just want to know if I had made the right decision or not. And except Godfather I've seen any old movie in Blu-ray and hence I can't comment with authority on that. How Casablanca or Bridge on River Kwai looks on Blu-ray? How different are they compared to DVD? Will I see any difference in 42 inch TV (or even a 50 inch TV?) Have anyone have any first hand experience?
Regards,

Hi All,
Just wanted to know if the old movies like Casablanca and all. Do they worth buying in Blu-ray? Considering the price difference of DVD's to Blu-rays will there be a worthwhile PQ difference. I got Godfather on Blu-ray but somehow I felt that there is not much difference between the DVD and the Blu-ray, at least not that visible in my TV. And you can almost buy 5/6 movies in DVD for a price of one Blu-ray. I ordered few DVD's this time from Amazon instead of blu-ray and I just want to know if I had made the right decision or not. And except Godfather I've seen any old movie in Blu-ray and hence I can't comment with authority on that. How Casablanca or Bridge on River Kwai looks on Blu-ray? How different are they compared to DVD? Will I see any difference in 42 inch TV (or even a 50 inch TV?) Have anyone have any first hand experience?
Regards,

I think it is worth, infact few of the movie like "earth vs the flying saucers" originally B&W have been interpolated to color with full 5.1 DTS MA. Though the actual A/V quality might not be as good as todays movies, but I think should be better than DVD atleast.

Try the old Bond Series transfered in Bluray and you will feel the difference and the pain they have taken for the transfer.

Regards

Thanks for responding guys. But let me be bit more specific about the movies that I wanted to own, the list currently looks like this (barring a few I don;'t even know if they exist in Blu-ray).
1. Casablanca
2. Das boot
3. Roman Holiday
4. A place in the Sun
5. Bride on the River Kwai
6. Treasures of Sierra Madre
7. Psycho
8. Birds
9. Dirty Harry
10. Good bad and Ugly etc. Out of these I've already ordered few in DVD as the price was really really good.
So have anyone seen these movies in Blu-ray? If so how different are they from the DVD? Will the difference be visible on a 42 inch TV (or a 50 inch) ?

^^ casablanca I can vouch for is a stunner on BR, as far as the reviews goes......

10. Good bad and Ugly .....?

I've watched a ripped version of this (.m2ts format, 32GB full BD), and it's surely worth to get the BD. But a few scenes do exhibit the wear & tear of the reel, but managable. 5.1 audio is also good enough.

cheers.

BTW u2 a casablanca fan??

Then I request you to get the BD and pls review it

and

Play it once, Konfused. For old times' sake.

If you will show it too me I'll say

Konfused I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
:clapping::clapping:

Ha ha Hemant, that was a good one. BTW, If this thread was from Sam then there wouldn't have been any need to change the dialogue at all ;-)
But sadly, I've already ordered the DVD of Casablanca as a part of a Humphray Bogart collection. No problemo,As time goes by I'll get the BR too.

Hey Aneel, thanks for the input, probably I'll try to get the Sergio Leone collection once it's available. They are going to release a box set of 3 Spaghetti Westerns soon.

3. Roman Holiday
5. Bride on the River Kwai
6. Treasures of Sierra Madre
7. Psycho
8. Birds
Are these availabale on blu-ray now? Where?

I have many oldies like Good, Bad and the Ugly, African queen, Adventures of Robin Hood, bonnie & clyde,cool hand luke. They all look stunning in blu-ray. As for b/w, i have Seventh Seal, Third Man (All Criterions), Day the earth stood still, Young Frankenstein. There is a noticeable difference between blu-ray and dvd in spite of them being b/w.

No no, not all those movies are available, I was just giving an example of movies that I want to be in my collection. Anyway, I'm getting Casablanca on DVD and will compare to the Blu-ray rip sample that I've with me now. I was not very much impressed with Godfather and hence I raised the question. Might be the difference won't be visible in a small TV like mine(42 inch only)..

2001: A Space Odyssey, Wizard of Oz look great on Blu-Ray. From all reviews I have heard older movies are worth going for in Blu ray. I haven't watched a black and white movie in blu ray but possess Raging Bull. Reviews of Blu Ray of The General has been terrific.

Its safer to check the reviews and possibly a small clip. I recently bought the Dire Straits-Alchemy and it had poorer than DVD video and poorer than CD audio. So good to check even in fairly recent movies.

Also, the improvements in much older movies may not be noticeable in a smaller screen.

So good to check even in fairly recent movies.

Also, the improvements in much older movies may not be noticeable in a smaller screen.

Yeah ALWAYS check reviews before buying. Also as sud says the small screen may be a limitation.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back